What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

Yes they always quoted as "Kill altitude" and always classified range.

Even the range of other ABM available in public domain are speculative.

Yeah.... not only classified or speculative but also not required I guess because if the ABM follows a modified ballistic trajectory to intercept incoming BM at high altitude thats enough.

If we are successful in building an effective BMD system, then the only threat to us Pakistan nuke will be taken care off.

Then India would be fearless and unstoppable and we won't have to think twice before retaliating another Mumbai.

:blink::what::blink::what::blink::what::hitwall: :hitwall:

can't we simply take out incoming missiles with SAMs and A2A missiles from aircrafts? I think we can.

Good question.

Tracking of those ballistic missiles will be an issue because they are very fast. Its possible by SAM or AAM but they cannot go outside or higher altitude atmosphere if they don't have TVC because there the fins of SAMs or AAMs will not work there is no or very thin air.

The ABM generally are fast wrt SAM and AAM while capable of engaging high speed targets with very last moment maneuvers.

Actually for a BMD range doesn't really matters. More it can reach higher altitude, better. Because it will give you multiple chances to launch other interceptors if the first one fails.

There must be some ranges but they are very speculative and not required to be mentioned. Also BMD systems like PAD cannot operate inside atmosphere to destroy aircrafts. Inside atmosphere for air defence against aircrafts and cruise missile range is important.
Its not the range which is important in case of BMD systems but the altitude of interception, since ballistic missiles are free falling missiles and their range can be calculated from the their altitude. An ICBM would have a higher altitude and a higher speed, so to intercept it we need a missile that reached a higher altitude, but small range ballistic missiles have a lower altitude, so we can intercept them at a lower altitude.

This image explains it clearly.
tbm-trajectory-1.jpg

Good for india
bt MIRV capable missiles cannot be shot down by Anti ballistic missiles.

Not true , MIRV missile can be shot down just the same as any other missile.

The problem occurs that now instead of just one war head to intercept , there are are now multiple war heads that need to be intercepted.

This in turn mean for every missile launched there need to be multiple interceptor missiles.

BMD system itself , works just as well . and the only for it to be defeated is by overwhelming the systems with pure numbers and exhausting all interceptor missiles.

MIRV warheads make this possible.

But the way i see it Pakistan at best will launch maybe 200 missiles ,

each may carry between 3-6 warheads . So worst case we need to intercept 1200 warheads.

Most of them wont even be nukes. with only some 100 being the real deal . Most will just be decoy's with conventional warheads

Given the multi-layered nature of the BMD , with even SAM's having intercept capability.

I think the odd's are that major centres can be protected or at the very least damage to India as whole reduced by a very large margin.

IF you consider China , then the situation is much less optimistic.
But the BMD system itself still functions to the best of its capacity.
But in all likely hood , it will be overwhelmed.

That is why The phase two of the BMD systems call for ew faster interceptors and more long range radars

Phase 2
Two new anti ballistic missiles that can intercept IRBM/ICBMs are being developed. These high speed missiles (AD-1 and AD-2) are being developed to intercept ballistic missiles with the range of 5000 km.The test trials of these two systems is expected to take place in 2011. The new missile will be similar to the THAAD missile deployed by the U.S.A. These missiles will have to travel at hypersonic speeds and will require radars with scan capability of over 1500 kilometers to successfully intercept the target.

Shaheen II MIRV capable

and Shaheen III which we wil test by 2010-11 will also hav MIRV

We shall have to see , i suppose.

Shaheen II does not have MIRV yet ,

Since deployment of the 2,500 km range Shaheen-II, a multiple independently targeted re-entry vehicle (MIRV) warhead system (which may be first fielded on the Shaheen-II) and the Shaheen-III missile with a range of 4,000-4,500 km are under development

i cant understand the concept. I know AAD PAD. now why PDV, Earlier two cancelled?

Its not the range which is important in case of BMD systems but the altitude of interception, since ballistic missiles are free falling missiles and their range can be calculated from the their altitude. An ICBM would have a higher altitude and a higher speed, so to intercept it we need a missile that reached a higher altitude, but small range ballistic missiles have a lower altitude, so we can intercept them at a lower altitude.

This image explains it clearly.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/images/tbm-trajectory-1.jpg

Another reason we want to destroy ICBM generally in higher altitude because when it re-enters the atmosphere or in terminal phase the speed becomes extremely high.

Also higher altitude of ICBM is also an advantage if you have multilayer defence because you can launch multiple interceptors at various altitudes when the missile is descending.

i cant understand the concept. I know AAD PAD. now why PDV, Earlier two cancelled?

PDV will replace PAD, not AAD. AAD manages upto 30 km while PDV will manage from 30 to 150 km. This time one cannot replace another.

Yeah.... not only classified or speculative but also not required I guess because if the ABM follows a modified ballistic trajectory to intercept incoming BM at high altitude thats enough.

Yes what we required is higher altitude and PDV with 130-150 Km is very much enough.

But range may also came into the picture when we are against the salvo of BM and DRDO have done this part quite well , so we don't have to worry about this.;):devil:

Bingo!!!!
:cheers:
More than US $ 5 billion worth of orders for more than 3000 Akash missiles for both Air Force and the Army.

Man!!! This single order is worth one of our neighbor's entire yearly defence budget.
:flame:

which neighbour ? Srilanka ? Bangladesh ? ;)

Good question.

Tracking of those ballistic missiles will be an issue because they are very fast. Its possible by SAM or AAM but they cannot go outside or higher altitude atmosphere if they don't have TVC because there the fins of SAMs or AAMs will not work there is no or very thin air.

The ABM generally are fast wrt SAM and AAM while capable of engaging high speed targets with very last moment maneuvers.

yes,
lets say, if you can track incoming ballistic missile and when missile is about 1000-2000 meter altitude above its target.
Than, you can fire SAM's and also aircraft that you send in the air by tracking incoming missile will fire BVR missile or ordinary heat seeking missile. those sam's and A@A missiles will see incoming missile as a diving aircraft and can successfully engage it.Game over.

P.S. If you got Wii at your home than you should try 'HEATSEEKER' game.

PDV will replace PAD, not AAD. AAD manages upto 30 km while PDV will manage from 30 to 150 km. This time one cannot replace another.

For AAD it can itnercept as low as 15 km, can be used as a SAM also.

Due to two successful interceptor missile tests carried out by India, the scientists have said that the AAD missile could be modified into a new extended range (up to 150km) surface-to-air missile that could be possibly named as ‘Ashvin’.

It will be :sniper: :hang2: for our rivals

Back
Top Bottom