What's new

Indian fishermen will be shot if they cross border, says Sri Lankan PM

Katchateevu is just an excuse.. TN poachers tresspass much deeper in to Sri Lankan territorial waters.. Even up to Mannar and Trincomalee.. It will not solve the issue.. TN respecting other peoples property and territory would

8d-2.jpg

You can't expect uneducated buffoons who find enlightenment doing this:

Hanging-From-Hooks-THaipusam-2.jpg

and this

dogmarry2_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg

to respect other people's resources or to understand that thievery is wrong.

Tamil Nadu is literally a cesspool across the Palk Strait, filled with violent, narcissistic and illiterate idiots who will set themselves on fire at the drop of a hat. Their entire history has been based on plunder, stealing and invasion of other people. Old habits die hard.

I agree, Nobody should be shot at.. But the country also has the right to defend it's sovereign territory.. Also what you must remember is these TN poachers used universally banned fishing methods like bottom trawling with is devastating to the marine life.. So they are actually criminals breaking the law of Sri Lanka.. Also as recent incidents show they come armed ready for confrontation.. So the SLN have every right to protect the countries interests

Mid-sea fight threatens to jeopardise talks between Indian, Sri Lanka fishermen

You just lied through your teeth on the Kachativu agreement.. There are no fishing rights granted.. Yeah we're waiting for the GOI to do taht on the word of some moron on a internet forum.. Get real

I am not sure . Security at Indian harbours are good enough. No guns are ever allowed. However crude Petrol bombs are made, I heard. It cannot really be controlled, as it is easy to make, can be made in 5 minutes and it aint really effective at sea..
Bottom trawling isnt banned in India,and the last I heard, all the trawlers are held by Lankan authorities, even after releasing their fishermens. Well, my opinion is to return the boat with a warning, and if caught next time, it shouldnt be given. But at the end of the day, Lankan laws.

Well we cannot threaten our relation with SL for a small island. SL is a very imp neighbor of India we should give them some leeway unless it will hurt our interests. They are also doing good things for us in some aspects, we should respect their territorial claims untill this controversy is resolved IMHO.
I agree, Nobody should be shot at.. But the country also has the right to defend it's sovereign territory.. Also what you must remember is these TN poachers used universally banned fishing methods like bottom trawling with is devastating to the marine life.. So they are actually criminals breaking the law of Sri Lanka.. Also as recent incidents show they come armed ready for confrontation.. So the SLN have every right to protect the countries interests

Mid-sea fight threatens to jeopardise talks between Indian, Sri Lanka fishermen
he

You just lied through your teeth on the Kachativu agreement.. There are no fishing rights granted.. Yeah we're waiting for the GOI to do taht on the word of some moron on a internet forum.. Get real
Again that girlie rant....so i ask you again....what is the meaning of the following:-

humanitarian and livelihood dimensions for fishermen according to the agreement of 2008

That means Indian fishermen can sail to Katchatheevu island and take rest and hence they can not be arrested if they are found in the island or the waters in the vicinity. So I can fish in Indian waters and with my catch go to katchatheevu for rest and drying up the net and return to India without any hassles. It will be difficult to prove whether i caught the fish in indian or lankan water. I hope the Lankans are not arresting the fishermen from around this island but elsewhere.

Most of the poachers are caught much deeper in to Sri Lankan waters.. No where near Katchativu.. And the problem is not poor fishermen in country boats.. But large scale poaching mafia bottom trawlers

I am not sure . Security at Indian harbours are good enough. No guns are ever allowed. However crude Petrol bombs are made, I heard. It cannot really be controlled, as it is easy to make, can be made in 5 minutes and it aint really effective at sea..
Bottom trawling isnt banned in India,and the last I heard, all the trawlers are held by Lankan authorities, even after releasing their fishermens. Well, my opinion is to return the boat with a warning, and if caught next time, it shouldnt be given. But at the end of the day, Lankan laws.

Eh.. TN fishermen were the main arms smugglers during the war with LTTE.. Thats why most of the deaths occurred at that time.. No shooting were reported since 2011.. If your security is so tight how did that happen.. The Indian coast guard themselves have admitted they are helpless to stop these trawlers crossing the boundary.. It;s a powerful mafia with many TN politicians at the helm

State must also act to protect fishermen: Coast Guard - The Hindu

Then that is their right to stop intruders in their water.But SL should also consider human rights.

Then that is their right to stop intruders in their water.But SL should also consider human rights.

I dont think they will actually shoot anybody.. The PM was just reiterating our sovereign rights

TNA to raise fishermen issue with Sushma Swaraj - The Hindu

07TH_SUSHMA_SWARAJ_2333396f.jpg

AFP
Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj with Sri Lankan Deputy Foreign Minister Ajith P. Perera (left), upon her arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport in Katunayake on Friday. AFP PHOTO

TOPICS
diplomacy
India-Sri Lanka

Members of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) will raise the concerns of northern Sri Lankan fishermen at the party’s meeting with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday.

“The Indian Foreign Minister is coming here as a forerunner to Prime Minister Modi, who will visit Sri Lanka later this month. One of the key issues we want to take up with her is the northern fishermen’s concerns,” TNA parliamentarian M.A. Sumanthiran toldThe Hindu on Friday.

Ms. Swaraj arrived here on Friday evening, and called on President Maithripala Sirisena. She will also hold meetings with top political leaders. Mr. Modi will be in the country on March 13 and 14.

Mr. Sumanthiran, who recently had a discussion with fisher leaders in Jaffna, said: “They [fisher leaders] have also requested for an opportunity to meet Prime Minister Modi when he is Jaffna to hand over their petition. We will be conveying these to the Indian Foreign Minister.”

Fishermen, he said, voiced serious concern about the increasing number of Indian trawlers along the northern coast. Their association leaders pointed to the Sri Lankan Navy’s “inaction” against “poaching Indian fishermen” of late. After repeated complaints from them, the Navy recently apprehended 86 Indian fishermen and detained 10 trawlers.

According to Emiliyan Pillai, president of the Federation of Jaffna District Fishermen Associations, fisher leaders briefed the TNA member about the damage caused by Indian trawlers to their marine resources. “We hope we have an opportunity to convey our concerns to the visiting Indian Prime Minister,” he told The Hindu.

The TNA, in its meeting with Ms. Swaraj, will also discuss matters pertaining to the pending political solution to the island’s Tamils, the release of land to its original owners in the north and east, and of political prisoners detained without charges, sources said.

Shift in TNA’s stance?
In what appears to a shift in the TNA’s position with regard to the Palk Bay conflict facing fishermen of India and Sri Lanka, its top leaders have begun raising the issue within Sri Lanka and with India. Until now, the Alliance — the main party representing the island’s northern Tamils — seemed hesitant to take a strong position, perhaps fearing confrontation with Tamil Nadu where the Indian trawlers reportedly originate.

More recently after the Narendra Modi government took charge, New Delhi publicly acknowledged poaching by Indian trawlers when Ms. Swaraj urged fishermen to stay on the Indian side of the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).

However, the number of Indian trawlers spotted along the northern coast are only increasing, observe fishermen in the Northern Province.

The Tamil Nadu government has suggested to the Centre that talks between fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka be held on any day after March 15.

This was in response to the Centre’s communication, seeking the State government’s convenience for the talks to be held on March 11. About a month ago, the State government wrote to the Union government to have the talks on March 5.

Indian fishermen will be shot if they cross border, says Sri Lankan PM Ranil Wickramesinghe - The Times of India

CHENNAI: The Sri Lankan navy is only acting as per law when it fires at Indian fishermen entering Lankan waters and therefore they should keep away, said Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickramesinghe in an interview to a Tamil news channel.

Wickramesinghe's strong comments come even as fishermen from both sides are engaged in talks and Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit Sri Lanka next week.

READ ALSO: PM to honour IPKF martyrs in Lanka

"If someone tries to break into my house, I can shoot. If he gets killed, law allows me to do that," he said in the interview to Thanthi TV broadcast on Friday night. "This is our waters. Fishermen of Jaffna should be allowed to fish. We stopped them from fishing. That's why the Indian fishermen came in. They (Jaffna fishermen) are willing to have a deal. Let's have a reasonable settlement but not at the cost of the livelihood of northern fishermen," he said.

READ ALSO: Mid-sea fight threatens to jeopardise bilateral talks between Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka fishermen

Wickramesinghe said the shooting of fishermen does not amount to human rights violations. "Why are you coming into our waters? Why are you fishing in our waters? Stay on the Indian side. There will be no issue," he said. He also said that Katchatheevu is a closed matter as far as Sri Lanka is concerned. "Katchatheevu is a part of Sri Lanka. Delhi also thinks it is a part of Sri Lanka. I know it is a part of Tamil Nadu politics."

46480973.cms

A Sri Lankan navy sailor (L) observes Indian fishermen freed by a local court Katchchativu in Jaffna District on March 17, 2014. (AFP file photo)

READ ALSO: Katchatheevu is a settled issue, Indians can't fish near islet: Centre

Talking about the China factor in Indo-Lanka relations, he said: "We keep the India-Sri Lanka relations separate from Sino-Sri Lanka relations. Both are important for us." Dismissing denials by Indian leaders, Wickramesinghe categorically affirmed that India had helped Sri Lanka in the war against LTTE that ended in 2009. "Amnesia, you know is very common among politicians," he quipped.

On the issue of repatriation of Tamil refugees, Wickramesinghe said that the situation is right for them to return to their homeland. "If they have doubts and they want some more time, just give them some more time," he said.

READ ALSO: PM Narendra Modi to offer military, civilian assistance to Indian Ocean nations to counter China influence

Wickramesinghe strongly condemned the recent resolution passed by Northern Province that the Lankan government committed genocide against Tamils. "It was a very irresponsible statement by the chief minister. I don't agree with it. Makes it difficult for us to communicate with the chief minister when he passes resolutions like this," he said. He said he has been dealing with Tamil National Alliance MP R Sampanthan and other Tamil leaders to resolve the issue. "Yes, there was a war. People were killed but on all sides. Remember that just as much as Tamils got killed, Muslims and Sinhalese were also killed," he said.

Wickramesinghe accused former President Mahinda Rajapaksa of giving money to LTTE leader V Prabhakaran in the run-up to the 2005 elections in Lanka. "In 2005 if people of Jaffna were allowed to vote, I could have prevented what took place in 2009. Who made Rajapaksa the President? Not the people in the south. There was a deal between Rajapaksa and LTTE. Rajapaksa paid money to the LTTE. One of those who took the money, Amirkanthan, is still there somewhere in the Middle East. That's well known."

So, India start to retaliate on SL fisherman who crossing maritime border by mistake?

Katchateevu is just an excuse.. TN poachers tresspass much deeper in to Sri Lankan territorial waters.. Even up to Mannar and Trincomalee.. It will not solve the issue.. TN respecting other peoples property and territory would

8d-2.jpg
How they know thats Indian fisherman?

If my knowledge correct,, 90% of Indian trawlers are still without GPS. How SLN tracking it?

No

Kachchatheevu island is part of this fishermen controversy

Katchatheevu Island & Controversy - Was it Constitutional to part with Indian Territory without Parliament's ratification ?

Katchatheevu Island
Was it constitutional to give away part of Indian Territory to neighbour country without Parliament's approval in 1974?

About Katchatheevu Island
* This is a controversial uninhabited island in possession of Sri Lanka.
* This island was given to Sri Lanka by India in 1974 on a conditional basis that the Indian fishermen have the rights to the rich fishing grounds in the territorial waters of Sri Lanka around Katchatheevu.
* But of recently, the frequent arrests of fishermen in Sri Lankan waters have raised the issue. Now the Tamil Nadu government has raised this as a serious issue and wants control over Katchatheevu back, on the basis that how was Katchatheevu island a part of territory of India given to Sri Lanka without any amendment passed in the parliament?
* The Tamil Nadu government has said thus the act of parting with Katchatheevu to Sri Lanka by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1976 by a treaty which was not ratified by the Parliament becomes unconstitutional.

So Indians gave the island to SL and now want it back. You guys are Indian givers LOL

So, India start to retaliate on SL fisherman who crossing maritime border by mistake?

How they know thats Indian fisherman?

If my knowledge correct,, 90% of Indian trawlers are still without GPS. How SLN tracking it?

They cross it on purpose.. And they admit to it.. So does the GOI , Indian navy and coast guard

Those taken by UAV's, Satellite images.. There are many other ways to track them.. How do we know they're Indian.. Because they freaking tracked them from Indian coast.. Dont ask moronic questions

Or better, drill some holes in their boats and leave them in the middle of ocean.

Those taken by UAV's, Satellite images.. There are many other ways to track them.. How do we know they're Indian.. Because they freaking tracked them from Indian coast.. Dont ask moronic questions
Bro, wait a sec, You tracking every trawlers from Indian coast with UAV?

SL AF's UAV violating Indian airspace, and IAF didnt retaliating?

BTW, which satellite SL intelligence is using?

Tracking each and every India trawler from Sat images, must be SL going to be next superpower in naval intelligence. Can SL share this tech.,, because we needed that tech, in our west coast.

Last edited:
Oh well.. All those who had misconceptions about the current Sri Lankan regime being Indian poodle...will have to think again. Maybe that is the actual message this PM wants to convey to the people of Lanka.

I dont think they will actually shoot anybody.. The PM was just reiterating our sovereign rights

TNA to raise fishermen issue with Sushma Swaraj - The Hindu

07TH_SUSHMA_SWARAJ_2333396f.jpg

AFP
Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj with Sri Lankan Deputy Foreign Minister Ajith P. Perera (left), upon her arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport in Katunayake on Friday. AFP PHOTO

TOPICS
diplomacy
India-Sri Lanka

Members of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) will raise the concerns of northern Sri Lankan fishermen at the party’s meeting with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday.

“The Indian Foreign Minister is coming here as a forerunner to Prime Minister Modi, who will visit Sri Lanka later this month. One of the key issues we want to take up with her is the northern fishermen’s concerns,” TNA parliamentarian M.A. Sumanthiran toldThe Hindu on Friday.

Ms. Swaraj arrived here on Friday evening, and called on President Maithripala Sirisena. She will also hold meetings with top political leaders. Mr. Modi will be in the country on March 13 and 14.

Mr. Sumanthiran, who recently had a discussion with fisher leaders in Jaffna, said: “They [fisher leaders] have also requested for an opportunity to meet Prime Minister Modi when he is Jaffna to hand over their petition. We will be conveying these to the Indian Foreign Minister.”

Fishermen, he said, voiced serious concern about the increasing number of Indian trawlers along the northern coast. Their association leaders pointed to the Sri Lankan Navy’s “inaction” against “poaching Indian fishermen” of late. After repeated complaints from them, the Navy recently apprehended 86 Indian fishermen and detained 10 trawlers.

According to Emiliyan Pillai, president of the Federation of Jaffna District Fishermen Associations, fisher leaders briefed the TNA member about the damage caused by Indian trawlers to their marine resources. “We hope we have an opportunity to convey our concerns to the visiting Indian Prime Minister,” he told The Hindu.

The TNA, in its meeting with Ms. Swaraj, will also discuss matters pertaining to the pending political solution to the island’s Tamils, the release of land to its original owners in the north and east, and of political prisoners detained without charges, sources said.

Shift in TNA’s stance?
In what appears to a shift in the TNA’s position with regard to the Palk Bay conflict facing fishermen of India and Sri Lanka, its top leaders have begun raising the issue within Sri Lanka and with India. Until now, the Alliance — the main party representing the island’s northern Tamils — seemed hesitant to take a strong position, perhaps fearing confrontation with Tamil Nadu where the Indian trawlers reportedly originate.

More recently after the Narendra Modi government took charge, New Delhi publicly acknowledged poaching by Indian trawlers when Ms. Swaraj urged fishermen to stay on the Indian side of the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).

However, the number of Indian trawlers spotted along the northern coast are only increasing, observe fishermen in the Northern Province.

The Tamil Nadu government has suggested to the Centre that talks between fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka be held on any day after March 15.

This was in response to the Centre’s communication, seeking the State government’s convenience for the talks to be held on March 11. About a month ago, the State government wrote to the Union government to have the talks on March 5.

We know these twist in Tamil politics.
Mainland Indian Tamils is snatching the life way of poor SL tamils in the name of
Tamil brotherhood.

Bro, wait a sec, You tracking every trawlers from Indian coast with UAV?

SL AF's UAV violating Indian airspace, and IAF didnt retaliating?

BTW, which satellite SL intelligence is using?

Tracking each and every India trawler from Sat images, must be SL going to be next superpower in naval intelligence. Can SL share this tech.,, because we needed that tech, in our west coast.
You dont have to fly over the port to actually see whats happening in the port.in some places the distance from coast to coast between Sl and India is 40 km.

They can fly within their airspace and still watch our ports.

But i am not sure if they can track each and every Indian trawller,but they dont have to,they have to look for once crossing into SL waters.

Back
Top Bottom