What's new

Indian Fighter Competition Nears Finals...

Dude i understand what you are saying , n i never contradicted with the fact that on technical specification it might be short of what Rafale and EF holds , but what i wanted to convey is that it is not necessary that it could be the only reason rather many other variables would also have been attached to it which stimulated the decision.

First..Thanks for understanding.
Second. There is no other variable. Both LM and Boing are aware of the reasons of rejection, and they are no political group.

we better be getting trainer variants for these fighters don't want to have another flying coffin incident again ^_^

^^^The trainer variants/twin-seaters are mandatory and they should be the same(In terms of capability) as their fighter counterparts.
MiG 35D was a twin-seater too:)

^^^The trainer variants/twin-seaters are mandatory and they should be the same(In terms of capability) as their fighter counterparts.
MiG 35D was a twin-seater too:)

thank god we didn't pick MiG-35 MiG's are flying coffins

The MiG-35 is a capable fighter - it's just that they have the same maintenance problems as the previous MiG-29s. I am sure India has already gone through that negative experience.

Both the Rafale and EFT are both very capable fighters. I find it surprising that the Americans didn't offer the F-15 during the competition.

I was trying to tell you that the MiG 35D was a twin seat aircraft and it did participate in the IAF field trials.
Secondly,MiG's(at least not all of them) are pathetic.The MiG 29B/UB/K/KUB are still serving us without any major fuss and the MiG 29 is surprisingly simple in terms of it's engineering as explained by the IAF maintainence officer in the video(Hope you can understand Hindi)
EDIT-The time is from 2:35:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see the Eurofighter in IAF colours, it’s supposedly the most manoeuvrable, exciting plane to fly after the F-22. However, I think the Rafale has better A2G capabilities (which fits the requirement from MMRCA), we can add Naval Rafales if necessary, it would have some compatibility with Mirage-2000 so easier maintenance, it is much cheaper, we will only have to deal with one country with whom we have good relationships.

Even though Rafale is inferior to EF in A2A, it is still way better than anything our neighbours would get even in the next 10 years, except possibly the J-10. We would have 500 MMRCA/Su-30/upgraded M-2000 and M-29 to deal with 36 of the J-10s. Anything else in the PAF, the mostly 30-year old F-16s or the mig-21, sorry JF-17, will be swatted like flies by any of these 500 jets. 126 advanced jets, whether Rafales or EF, would simply destroy the 250 odd JF-17s or F-16s. So buying the superior but expensive EF would be overkill.

The MiG-35 is a capable fighter - it's just that they have the same maintenance problems as the previous MiG-29s. I am sure India has already gone through that negative experience.

Both the Rafale and EFT are both very capable fighters. I find it surprising that the Americans didn't offer the F-15 during the competition.

The competition was for medium class, how can they offer F-15 which is heavy class fighter?..

^^^^ that my friend is an uninformed rant to say the least !

the spares nightmare with Russians i can see why MiG-35 was not picked

and i'm not saying it isn't a capable fighter its just that Russia's industry has a hard time supplying us spares for there aircraft, lack of spares was a reason for MiG crashes

you have to agree though MiG-21 (non upgraded) and MiG-27's are flying coffins

I was trying to tell you that the MiG 35D was a twin seat aircraft and it did participate in the IAF field trials.
Secondly,MiG's(at least not all of them) are pathetic.The MiG 29B/UB/K/KUB are still serving us without any major fuss and the MiG 29 is surprisingly simple in terms of it's engineering as explained by the IAF maintainence officer in the video(Hope you can understand Hindi)
EDIT-The time is from 2:35:)

the MiG-29 is fine its just the MiG-27 and MiG-21 (non upgraded) which are the real flying coffins, remember what happened to Ajay Ahuja and flight lt Nachiteka in Kargil

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw gangtok in wikipedia & utbe . Noticed that the pop. density is low . Btw the mg marg was stunning . Didnt knew we had such a lovely tourist destination

Yeah well NE is very lowly populated. Why do you think that CCP gets uppity all the time? Easy to grab lands compared to dense north India. The whole Sikkim state has a population of between 5-7 lakhs. This makes my city Gangtok, relatively choke-free, less pollution, more availability of resources per person, and definitely, a lot of piece of mind. Compared to my bringing up in Delhi, this seems totally opposite. Also law is better here compared to rest of the country and cleanliness of course. MG Marg is well known mate. After all, there must be some semi-urban attractions in the state as well, है न? :azn:

Yeah well NE is very lowly populated. Why do you think that CCP gets uppity all the time? Easy to grab lands compared to dense north India. The whole Sikkim state has a population of between 5-7 lakhs. This makes my city Gangtok, relatively choke-free, less pollution, more availability of resources per person, and definitely, a lot of piece of mind. Compared to my bringing up in Delhi, this seems totally opposite. Also law is better here compared to rest of the country and cleanliness of course. MG Marg is well known mate. After all, there must be some semi-urban attractions in the state as well, है न? :azn:

i feel sorry for those living in UP Bihar or one of those really over populated states

you have to agree though MiG-21 (non upgraded) and MiG-27's are flying coffins

Off topic-Off the mark again,but the MiG 21 was engineered in a bad way and so was/is extremely difficult to fly(Info courtesy-Moderator Santro)
and the MiG 27 was junk since day one:)

when will this drama end?
i was in diapers when i first hard about this fighter jet buying program.
now i am a father and its still not finished.
looks like by the time india will buy the planes they will already be old technology.......and i will be a grand father.

I agree with you. :lol:. I was in my initial training and college when this started. Now it is 5 and a half years since I've started working. :P
I really hope this gets sorted out in 2011 itself so that my kids don't have to ask me the question tomorrow. Indian babudom's red tapism is far more dangerous than a nuclear bomb. It kills more painfully.

Back
Top Bottom