What's new

Indian drone development, procurement , news and updates .

Environment and altitude is not suitable for the same.

Good Day!
how so? drones and jets can reach excess of 20,000 feet, while peek elevation of siachen is only 18,000 feet!!
thnx!

@PARIKRAMA Sir, Why dont we use drones to monitor siachen?? or even Fighter jets for that matter!!

What is the need for using them when we have troops there?

how so? drones and jets can reach excess of 20,000 feet, while peek elevation of siachen is only 18,000 feet!!
thnx!

Incorrect. Bana post is almost at 22000 feet.

for a start.. it can reduce the work load on the troops because they have to patrol vast area at sub-zero temperatures, and can also serve as early warning system.

Its more like at the moment we lack HALE UAVs. Just like LCH. I hope we come up with a high altitude UAV.

for a start.. it can reduce the work load on the troops because they have to patrol vast area at sub-zero temperatures, and can also serve as early warning system.

Patrol where? You do understand that we hold the heights and block the passes and have excellent command of the heights and have excellent field of vision of the areas around in addition to the regular air sorties undertaken?

Incorrect. Bana post is almost at 22000 feet.
ok may be not drones, but what about fighter jets? they can go upto 60000 feet

ok may be not drones, but what about fighter jets? they can go upto 60000 feet

Are you aware that no aircraft is allowed to fly within 10 kms of either side of border as per agreement? And what do you need a fighter there for?

thnx!

The payload capability takes a serious hit as the altitude increases. While it is not impossible for UAV/Fighter aircraft to operate at such heights, the reduction in payload capability and very unpredictable weather experienced in such regions make it more challenging for aircraft. These factors can be overcome by specifically designed aircraft. Like Dhruv and LCH which have better performance at such higher altitudes than most rotor-craft in the world. This doesn't mean they can operate there through out the year and in all weather conditions.

Good Day!

Patrol where? You do understand that we hold the heights and block the passes and have excellent command of the heights and have excellent field of vision of the areas around in addition to the regular air sorties undertaken?
of course sir, but siachen is freezing death zone,my question is may be we can complement troops with fighter jets or drones and reduce the number of foot soldiers. just a query!

of course sir, but siachen is freezing death zone,my question is may be we can complement troops with fighter jets or drones and reduce the number of foot soldiers. just a query!

You can't hold territory with aircraft/UAVs. You need feet on ground .. soldiers to hold territory. I hope that clarifies your query.

The payload capability takes a serious hit as the altitude increases. While it is not impossible for UAV/Fighter aircraft to operate at such heights, the reduction in payload capability and very unpredictable weather experienced in such regions make it more challenging for aircraft. These factors can be overcome by specifically designed aircraft. Like Dhruv and LCH which have better performance at such higher altitudes than most rotor-craft in the world. This doesn't mean they can operate there through out the year and in all weather conditions.

Good Day!
i don't get it sir, what is service ceiling that fighter jets normally operate?? with a decent payload??

You can't hold territory with aircraft/UAVs. You need feet on ground .. soldiers to hold territory. I hope that clarifies your query.
ok, thank you! is it possible to bomb enemy installations during war at that altitude?

i don't get it sir, what is service ceiling that fighter jets normally operate?? with a decent payload??

It's different for different aircraft. Good thing to be recalled could be, Mirages earning the praise during Kargil conflict and Mi-35s sitting inside hangars during the same period.

Some examples attached:

Halo%2Bversus%2BChinook1.png

24yvc04.png

LCA_17.png

@Athen hope these pictures helps you.

P.S: Graphs are only to get a general idea. Please don't consider the data as 100% correct.

Good Day!

Last edited:

ok, thank you! is it possible to bomb enemy installations during war at that altitude?
First, you need to asked, What is The type of payload will be appropriate, then which aircraft would have to be selected to good 24hr survivance.

Second as the agreement, no aircraft is allowed to fly (fixed wing) , still no one trust each other, each side has a good compliment of MANPADS to light up the sky

First, you need to asked, What is The type of payload will be appropriate, then which aircraft would have to be selected to good 24hr survivance.

Second as the agreement, no aircraft is allowed to fly (fixed wing) , still no one trust each other, each side has a good compliment of MANPADS to light up the sky
thank you sir! i did not know about the agreement, but we can do it in war times, right? may be MKI with couple of 200lbs bombs.

Back
Top Bottom