What's new

Indian defence minister confirms purchase of S-400 missile systems

Assault Rifle

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
They may not take final shape during my visit but we’d like to prepare some of them for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia in December — for example, the project for joint production of Kamov Ka-226 helicopters. I hope to use my visit to have it inked on paper when the prime minister arrives. Also the purchase of S-400 missile systems. We anticipate these projects to be coordinated by next month.

TASS: Military & Defense - Indian Defense Minister: I have always seen Russia as an all-weather friend for India

They may not take final shape during my visit but we’d like to prepare some of them for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia in December — for example, the project for joint production of Kamov Ka-226 helicopters. I hope to use my visit to have it inked on paper when the prime minister arrives. Also the purchase of S-400 missile systems. We anticipate these projects to be coordinated by next month.

TASS: Military & Defense - Indian Defense Minister: I have always seen Russia as an all-weather friend for India
Noooooooooooooo :( should purchased American system.

None, there's no American alternative. Not because they don't measure up, US missiles, especially in missile-defense, are the best around, but because the American's don't produce a land-based missile like S-400 due to a lack of necessity and differing doctrine/tactics.

Their only export land-based SAM system is PAC-2. It's not in the same class as S-400. It's range is far shorter.
3693666706_1933edd3a6_b.jpg

Apart from that they offer several land-based anti-missile systems including PAC-3, which is a low-end missile defense weapon, for terminal defense against short and tactical ranged ballistic missiles.
Patriot_pac-3_11-960x400.jpg

And THAAD, which is among the best, if not the best land-based counter missile missile, with counter MRBM and IRBM capabilities
mfc-thaad-rollout-photo-01-h.jpg

Other land-based options like stinger are either far from being in the class of S-400, or not exportable, as in the case of AEGIS Ashore, which is also for counter missile duties, not general air-defence.

So far only the US and Japan have been allowed AEGIS Ashore.
1060x600-c3d1de9d779824f88a1ac45cb48a9d14.jpg

Which makes use of a land-based SM-3 Block IIA.

Operational range Block IIA ~2500 km (1350 nautical miles)
Flight ceiling Block IIA ~1500 km (933 miles)
Speed Block IIA ~4.5 km/s (Mach 15.25)

SCD-CTV-01-002.jpg

US sea based missiles were never an option for India, not that even India desired them at this point. It's current batch of Barak 1 and Barak 8 are not substitutes for SM-2, SM-3 or SM-6. Barak 1 and Barak 8 perform less effectively then the Standard series with significantly less range. They aren't bad missiles, they are very good, but aren't in the class of the Standard series.

While BDForever may dismay at the S-400, which is damn capable, there was no American alternative that could be offered to India. SM-6 is the closest, and better performing, alternative, but it's sea based. SM-3 outclasses all competitors in counter-missile operations.

Last edited:
None, there's no American alternative. Not because they don't measure up, US missiles, especially in missile-defense, are the best around, but because the American's don't produce a land-based missile like S-400 due to a lack of necessity and differing doctrine/tactics.

Their only export SAM system is PAC-2. It's not in the same class as S-400.

Apart from that they offer several anti-missile systems including PAC-3, which is a low-end missile defense weapon,

And THAAD, which is among the best, if not the best land-based counter missile missile.

Other land-based options like stinger are either far from being in the class of S-400, or not exportable, as in the case of AEGIS Ashore, which is also for counter missile duties, not general air-defence.

Which makes use of a land-based SM-3 Block IIA

SCD-CTV-01-002.jpg

US sea based missiles were never an option for India, not does India desire them at this point. It's current batch of Barak 1 and Barak 8 are not substitutes for SM-2, SM-3 or SM-6 however an perform less effectively then each with significantly less range.

While BDForever may dismay at the S-400, which is damn capable, there was no American alternative that could be offered to India. SM-6 is the closest, and better performing, alternative, but it's sea based. SM-3 outclasses all competitors in counter-missile operations.
I know that sir and thats why I asked. Also in India's context S-400 makes more sense as we already are developing our own ABM( designed to intecept BMs on altitudes like Thaad) but I doubt their long distance anti aircraf capabilities and thats where purchase of S-400 matter which has excellent if not best anti aircraft capabilities with moderate anti-BM capabilities.
Also as you mention Barak-8, Its one of the best anti supersonic cruise missiles system, though with a bit of less range but its 80g limit is unmatched in the world so far.

Last edited:
Typo Edited :tongue:, I want BD to be our front line state to defend humanity when aliens Invade us. S400 is incapable of that.
but Martians are already your slaves, you can use them

Their only export land-based SAM system is PAC-2. It's not in the same class as S-400. It's range is far shorter.

Apart from that they offer several land-based anti-missile systems including PAC-3, which is a low-end missile defense weapon, for terminal defense against short and tactical ranged ballistic missiles.

And THAAD, which is among the best, if not the best land-based counter missile missile, with counter MRBM and IRBM capabilities

Which makes use of a land-based SM-3 Block IIA.

SCD-CTV-01-002.jpg

US sea based missiles were never an option for India, not that even India desired them at this point. It's current batch of Barak 1 and Barak 8 are not substitutes for SM-2, SM-3 or SM-6. Barak 1 and Barak 8 perform less effectively then the Standard series with significantly less range. They aren't bad missiles, they are very good, but aren't in the class of the Standard series.

umm... dont get me wrong but aren't these systems very different in the way they generate battle field awareness, engage targets and use networking solution ?

THAAD : Terminal phase area defense uses networked components to engage missiles (I dont know till which value terminal velocity it can engage but i am guessing a max of mach 17 ).

S400 : is aerospace defense stand alone system, quick reaction time Ideal for IRBMs, TNWs and SRBMs hits anything that moves in a 400 km radius, signature Russian attitude. max engaging terminal velocity for missiles is mach 14. will detect and fire at target long before PAC or THAAD is able to see them properly.

PAC-3 : Works with THAAD to provide an integrated, overlapping defense against missile threats in the terminal phase of flight. Jointly, these systems engage the threat by forming a multi-tier theater defense against adversary missile threats using peer-to-peer engagement coordination, early warning track data, and battle management situational awareness.

AEGIS : Then there is the Aegis Ashore which detects launches and provides continental coverage and can engage ballistic missile in any phase phase provided it is linked to a suitable interceptor. very highly networked situational awareness.

aegisvsthaad1.png

The SM block 2A offers even more coverage but it is promarily for ICBMs and IRBMs not the kind of threat India faces.

but Martians are already your slaves, you can use them

One is PDF Member here, I knew it !! he was trolling from a bunker in Sylhet :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom