What's new

Indian Army News & Discussions

BhZcosDCcAARwcg.jpg:large

ADG PI - INDIAN ARMY

Army chief to visit Andaman & Nicobar

upload_2014-2-27_10-31-33.jpeg

Army Chief General Bikram Singh will carry out review of operational preparedness of all these defence services at Andaman & Nicobar Command which is the first and only joint command in the country, Army said on Wednesday.

Singh, who is also Chief of Staff Committee Chairman, today visited the Tri-Services Command at Port Blair. Air Marshal P K Roy, Commander-in-Chief, Andaman & Nicobar Command, briefed him on the current security situation and future challenges.

“A major asset allocation and infrastructure development plan is also likely to be reviewed with an eye on capability development for the future and developing security situation, especially in South East Asian region,” the Army spokesperson said.

Singh will also be interacting with the Lt Governor of Andaman & Nicobar Islands on issues relating to security and infrastructure development in view of increased importance of Andaman & Nicobar Command in the region.

An Army spokesperson said enhancing operational readiness and force modernisation have been the major thrust areas of the Chief.

Army chief to visit Andaman & Nicobar | idrw.org

DAC Clears Light Multipurpose Armored Vehicle (LAMV) Purchase

Tata Motors LAMV a DefExpo 2014

The TOI reported on February 25, 2014 that DAC has cleared the purchase of 702 light armored multi-purpose vehicles for Rs 1,200 crore during a meeting on February 24, 2014.

The Indian Army had released a RFI for a LAM vehicle in June 2010.

The vehicle is intended for cross country movement in operational conditions.

Tata Motors, which displayed its LAMV at DefExpo, is likely to win the contract.

Thum! Kaun Aata Hai?: DAC Clears Light Multipurpose Armored Vehicle (LAMV) Purchase

Bhjxc5dCcAENS-N.jpg:large

Lieutenant General PR Kumar, AVSM, VSM takes over as the DGMO

The TOI reported on February 25, 2014 that DAC has cleared the purchase of 702 light armored multi-purpose vehicles for Rs 1,200 crore during a meeting on February 24, 2014.

Tata Motors, which displayed its LAMV at DefExpo, is likely to win the contract.

Thum! Kaun Aata Hai?: DAC Clears Light Multipurpose Armored Vehicle (LAMV) Purchase

Good news , but who are the other contenders? o_OI'm sorry I haven't really been following Army RFIs since quite
some time.

Indian Army Pushes F-INSAS, Night Fighting Capability Improvement Programs

F-INSAS equipment at BEL pavilion at DefExpo

The Indian Army appears to have resumed F-INSAS related procurement with renewed vigor. On February 27, 2014 it released a RFI for procurement of Night Sight for 7.62-mm Light Machine Gun. The sights are to be used on 7.62-mm LMGs that are being separately procured.

Army wants a light weight, rugged, uncooled Thermal Imaging (TI) sight than can engage human target at the effective range of 800m and above.

Earlier on February 25, 2014, Army released a RFI for Procurement of Passive Night Sight (PNS) for Rifle AK-47. The requirement is for a light weight, rugged, passive night sight based on Image Intensifier Technology that can be fitted on AK-47 rifles to facilitate accurate engagement of pin point target at night/ hours of darkness/ indoor dark areas.

The TOI reported on February 25, 2014 that the DAC had cleared the purchase of 4,000 hand-held thermal imagers for soldiers (Rs 1,400 crore) and 5,000 thermal imaging sights for tanks and infantry combat vehicles (Rs 2,825 crore) at its meeting on February 24, 2014.

Thum! Kaun Aata Hai?: Indian Army Pushes F-INSAS, Night Fighting Capability Improvement Programs

Army wants a light weight, rugged, uncooled Thermal Imaging (TI) sight than can engage human target at the effective range of 800m and above.
You know since when they've been demanding and testing this?
If I am not wrong since 2002.Thats when the Afghan war was going on and Army wanted to tackle the infiltration issue but it hasnt seen light of day...yet.

You know since when they've been demanding and testing this?
If I am not wrong since 2002.Thats when the Afghan war was going on and Army wanted to tackle the infiltration issue but it hasnt seen light of day...yet.
You're jumping to conclusions. This procurement is specifically for the LMG that is coming in under the F-INSAS project so how could this be a requirement since 2002 when the F-INSAS LMG won't even be in service with the IA for another few years?!

You're jumping to conclusions. This procurement is specifically for the LMG that is coming in under the F-INSAS project so how could this be a requirement since 2002 when the F-INSAS LMG won't even be in service with the IA for another few years?!

Could you share some details about the F-INSAS LMG mate? It is a version of the MCIWS?

Could you share some details about the F-INSAS LMG mate? It is a version of the MCIWS?
AFAIK it will be procured from abroad, nothing I've heard has suggested that DRDO are working on such a weapon. Not much has been said about this or the sniper rifle buy (also under F-INSAS) that is being procured from abroad.

AFAIK it will be procured from abroad, nothing I've heard has suggested that DRDO are working on such a weapon. Not much has been said about this or the sniper rifle buy (also under F-INSAS) that is being procured from abroad.

Any idea what could be the contenders?

Damn, why shouldn't we make a MCMG (Multi-Caliber Machine Gun) with interchangeable 5.56mm and
7.62mm rounds, barrels & breeches - we can use the same basic gun as squad fire-support (5.56mm) and
general purpose (7.62mm) as well.

I was talking about these requirements....

The requirement is for a light weight, rugged, passive night sight based on Image Intensifier Technology that can be fitted on AK-47 rifles to facilitate accurate engagement of pin point target at night/ hours of darkness/ indoor dark areas.
You've misconstrued my post.
From a long time now Army officers in service have been talking of such requirements (atleast since 2002 )but none were met with.
Agreed Futuristic Infantry Soldier As aSystem is a recent development ...i guess MoD had released a global tender seeking carbines somewhere in 2008.

Last edited:
Any idea what could be the contenders?

Damn, why shouldn't we make a MCMG (Multi-Caliber Machine Gun) with interchangeable 5.56mm and
7.62mm rounds, barrels & breeches - we can use the same basic gun as squad fire-support (5.56mm) and
general purpose (7.62mm) as well.
I agree this should be the ultimate goal but the DRDO/OFB haven't devoted much attention to this- the INSAS LMG is just about adequate but it's merely a derivative of the INSAS with a bipod, a full auto capability, a 30 round mag and some other minor tweaks- it's not a MG in it's own right. The very fact the Bren is still in service even though the INSAS has replaced every single SLR in IA service some time ago proves this. The sight of the WW2-era LMG in IA service really irks me to this day, it was a great weapon but it simply has no place being in the IA not in 2014-not even in 2004! Similarly no work has been put in by the DRDO/OFB on an indigenous MMG,HMG or.50 cal MG. Small arms is certainly a major failing for the DRDO/OFB almost across the board, just look at their crappy 9mm pistols they are producing or .22 rifles, it's like something out of the 1930s, then contrast this with what arms manufacturers in the West are making- it is shameful. That's why I was so blown away by the MCIWS because it actually appears to be a very capable weapon with many contemporary features/functions (to be fair the later models of the INSAS- AMOGH and the like were okay) so maybe this is the beginning of a change? Coupled with the fact the OFB is upgrading and modernising all their workshops/factories.

Sorry, no idea on who is taking part in the F-INSAS LMG procurement, I just wonder if the IA are looking for magazine or belt-fed, i'd expect/hope for the the former....

I'm confused by this news, firstly it was reported that the DAC had cleared a light armoured vehicle purchase for the SOFs, there was no mention of TATA. So I don't exactly know what's going on....

Hopefully the TATA LAMV does get such huge orders- it is a great product and would love to see it in the IA and other forces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom