What's new

Indian and Chinese Hypersonic Missiles

They are not even the same generation.

It is like comparing P-50 to F-16.

These VS threads are dumb.

you say u do not want to compare but actually doing it at same time..!! and doing it wrongly..!!

haha that's funny!

anyone notice indian missile is 2x longer, heavier and carries less payload than df21 developed many years ago?

That is because the Indian missile is the India's first generation IRBM missile. This is the 2nd MRBM missile from China. The first one was developed in the 60s. In the future, the Indian missile will should have better weight/payload and range ratio.

plz wear spects..:hitwall: the weight is almost same 15000 kg and 16000 kg... thats what matters weight....
if the length is more the dia is also lesser....notice carefully before speaking....and the explanation given by @faithfulguy is what he does best a JOKE....:lol:

china's DF-21.. weighting about 15000 kg ,10.7 m long and 1.4 m in dia

2,700 kilometres (1,700 mi) (DF-21A)
speed is mach 10+

India's Agni II IRBM ... weaighting about 16000 kg ,20 m in length ,1 m in diameter

3000 kilometres
speed is 7-8 km/s that is mach 23-25

The Range of Agni II is more then that of DF-21 and also it has MUCH higher speed.....

Last edited:
there is no explanation there..u have doubts that why more speed.which is answered above..

I don't know if you're serious, because your assertion is simply ludicrous. I suppose I should assume that you are so I'll offer a serious explanation.

1)First, let's get that 7-8 km/s thing out of the way. I assume that info was taken from Wikipedia, which lists Bharak-Rashak Forum(BRF) as the source for that data. I just checked on BRF, it lists the re-entry speed(re-entry is where a ballistic missile achieves its maximum speed, due to decreasing terminal velocity with increasing atmospheric density as altitude decreases) at 3.9 km/s, or about Mach 13.

Bharat Rakshak - Missiles Section Agni II

2) Ballistic missiles use the rocket booster to send the missile flying upward, and after the booster-phase the missile follows a simple ballistic(i.e. projectile) path. Thus, its maximum speed may be determined by its apogee, which, according to Bharak-Rashak is 405km. That is pretty standard for its range, and fairly consistent with the 3.9 km/s speed. In comparison, the DF-21's apogee ranges from 500-1000km. The ASAT tested a while back, for example, shot down a satellite 850km above ground. You can deduce the DF-21's maximum speed from there.

3) What I said in the first two points are pretty irrelevant if we're talking about terminal phase interception. ALL ballistic missiles would've hit their terminal velocity by then, so given similar maneuverabilities they'll be at similar speeds. Now, this is a somewhat of rough estimate, for for missiles like the Agni-II and the DF-21 you can assume it to be true.

4) I mean, really, shooting a ballistic missile ridiculously high just to increase its re-entry speed is incredibly stupid. If you can make the apogee that high, then it means the missile can also go much farther. It wouldn't be listed as a 2000km range missile because a missile that can achieve 7-8 km/s speed can go much, MUCH farther than that.

I hope you weren't joking so I didn't waste all this time explaining this crap to you.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're serious, because your assertion is simply ludicrous. I suppose I should assume that you are so I'll offer a serious explanation.

1)First, let's get that 7-8 km/s thing out of the way. I assume that info was taken from Wikipedia, which lists Bharak-Rashak Forum(BRF) as the source for that data. I just checked on BRF, it lists the re-entry speed(re-entry is where a ballistic missile achieves its maximum speed, due to decreasing terminal velocity with increasing atmospheric density as altitude decreases) at 3.9 km/s, or about Mach 13.

2) Ballistic missiles use the rocket booster to send the missile flying upward, and after the booster-phase the missile follows a simple ballistic(i.e. projectile) path. Thus, its maximum speed may be determined by its apogee, which, according to Bharak-Rashak is 405km. That is pretty standard for its range, and fairly consistent with the 3.9 km/s speed. In comparison, the DF-21's apogee ranges from 500-1000km. The ASAT tested a while back, for example, shot down a satellite 850km above ground. You can deduce the DF-21's maximum speed from there.

3) What I said in the first two points are pretty irrelevant if we're talking about terminal phase interception. ALL ballistic missiles would've hit their terminal velocity by then, so given similar maneuverabilities they'll be at similar speeds. Now, this is a somewhat of rough estimate, for for missiles like the Agni-II and the DF-21 you can assume it to be true.

4) I mean, really, shooting a ballistic missile ridiculously high just to increase its re-entry speed is incredibly stupid. If you can make the apogee that high, then it means the missile can also go much farther. It wouldn't be listed as a 2000km range missile because a missile that can achieve 7-8 km/s speed can go much, MUCH farther than that.

I hope you weren't joking so I didn't waste all this time explaining this crap to you.

Good explanation mate

the speed u r quoting is for range of 2000 km only..!!

Sostill the fact remains that Agni II has much higher speed....and it is only an advantage....it makes it better....
lesser time + more difficult to intercept...!!

and do u want to say that the missile speed is/has to be a function only of its trajectory ??

Also from, the same source which u gave,

"The then-incumbent Scientific Advisor to the Government and DRDO Chief, Dr. Abdul Kalam, has said that what is unique about the Agni-II is the trajectory shaping and guidance that is possible through software. Agni-II, has appropriate on-board thrusters fitted on the second stage of the missile. This is because solid fuel is allowed to burn completely, which means that the velocity increment achieved before re-entry could be more or less from the mission perspective"

Agni II is much more advanced missile then DF-21.

Do we have plans about third generation missiles for indians may catch up within 20 years. btw, What about pakistan's similar missiles?

the speed u r quoting is for range of 2000 km only..!!

Sostill the fact remains that Agni II has much higher speed....and it is only an advantage....it makes it better....
lesser time + more difficult to intercept...!!

and do u want to say that the missile speed is/has to be a function only of its trajectory ??

Also from, the same source which u gave,

"The then-incumbent Scientific Advisor to the Government and DRDO Chief, Dr. Abdul Kalam, has said that what is unique about the Agni-II is the trajectory shaping and guidance that is possible through software. Agni-II, has appropriate on-board thrusters fitted on the second stage of the missile. This is because solid fuel is allowed to burn completely, which means that the velocity increment achieved before re-entry could be more or less from the mission perspective"

Agni II is much more advanced missile then DF-21.

By convention, the range quoted for any missile should be its maximum range. And the maximum range is directly related to the speed achievable by the missile. This can be derived using high school physics.

If Agni-II was indeed that fast, then its range would be far larger, which isn't the case. Thus, going backwards this missiles's speed must be slower than you say.

Aw, damn, I just regurgitated what my comrade said.

By convention, the range quoted for any missile should be its maximum range. And the maximum range is directly related to the speed achievable by the missile. This can be derived using high school physics.

If Agni-II was indeed that fast, then its range would be far larger, which isn't the case. Thus, going backwards this missiles's speed must be slower than you say.

Aw, damn, I just regurgitated what my comrade said.

no,range is not directly linked with speed.it also depends on azimuth.which can give quite a different trajectory hence different travel time....

Do we have plans about third generation missiles for indians may catch up within 20 years. btw, What about pakistan's similar missiles?

:lol::lol: poor joke...:rofl:

dude Indian missiles are far better then CHinese ones, remember.
u have anything like Brahmos...??? keep dreaming...:lol:

only thing is India doesnt have any 10000 km range missile... but we dont need it...and Agni V will be more then enough for our needs..

Last edited:
Hey, thread starter, "India is the best", happy??

no verses threads please, ending is always bad

Back
Top Bottom