What's new

India wary as China conducts biggest “long-range” war games

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
India's Navy chief says his military is no match for China's growing forces.

By Dan Murphy | Staff writer 08.11.09

Less than a week after India and China held what they described as fruitful talks on a long-standing border dispute, China embarked on a massive war-game designed to improve its ability to dispatch troops over long distances.

Not surprisingly, some in India are concerned.

As China’s economy has grown, so has its offensive military capabilities, which has fueled something of an arms race in Asia, particularly with the region’s other emerging economic power, India.

As we reported in June, the Indian Ocean – the vital transport hub for the region’s goods and energy – will likely become a region of increasing strategic jockeying as the world’s two largest countries seek to secure their economic positions. China’s approach is dubbed the “String of Pearls” strategy by US military officials.

The China and India fought a border war over their poorly demarcated boundary in the Himalayas in 1962, and China has at times since claimed sovereignty over territory that appears to be well on the western side of the border (this map shows the disputed area.)

On Tuesday, China began a series of military maneuvers that it is describing as its “largest-ever tactical military exercise.” The war games, called “Stride-2009,” will involve 50,000 troops form China’s more than 2 million-member standing army, and are designed to help China improve its “long-range force projection” by using high-speed civilian rail and civilian aircraft in rapidly moving troops, according to state news agency, Xinhua.

According to the PLA General Staff Headquarters, in charge of organizing the exercise “Stride-2009,” one army division from each of the military commands of Shenyang, Lanzhou, Jinan and Guangzhou, will participate in a series of live-fire drills lasting for two months. Unlike previous annual tactical exercises, the army divisions and their air units will be deployed in unfamiliar areas far from their garrison training bases by civilian rail and air transport.

The exercise will have troops operating from up to 1,000 miles from their home bases. Though China is a vast country with significant internal dissent – rioting by ethnic Uighurs in Urumqi this July (and in Tibet last year) occurred more than 2,000 miles from Beijing – some neighbors fear it is intent on expansion.

The Times of India said strategists have long worried about the possibility that an expanding rail network in China could be used to “enhanc(e) China’s military superiority over neighboring India.”

On Monday, Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta warned in rather stark terms that China’s military is outstripping India’s, according to the Hindustan Times. It was an unusually blunt admission:

“In military terms, both conventionally and unconventionally, we can neither have the capability nor the intention to match China force for force…” He said Beijing was in the process of consolidating its comprehensive national power and creating formidable military capability. “Once that is done, China is likely to be more assertive on its claims, especially in the immediate neighbourhood,” said Mehta, who as the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, is the country’s senior most military commander.

Two months ago, India’s former Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major said China was a greater threat to India than Pakistan.

India wary as China conducts biggest “long-range” war games | csmonitor.com

India's Navy chief says his military is no match for China's growing forces.

By Dan Murphy | Staff writer 08.11.09

.......... csmonitor.com[/url]

I stopped reading after "By Dan Murphy" and at the bottom "csmonitor.com". Saved good few minutes of my precious time.

Let me know when GOI actually says it, because these words of outsider have so much political-motives to create suspicion among Asian nations that whatever they write is "suspect"! :hang2:

:wave:

Whenever indian navy chief says indian military behind china and not a match than it should worry china more for simple reason. This will be benefit to indian military as goverment would allow buying more new lethel weapons. It proved in past and it will prove now too. The title of thread says 'india wary of chinese biggest war games'. Just like china wary of india's biggest war games in which we invited america, japan, singapore including china's bestfriend australia. To which china objected and asked australia not to join. Yet australia joined it. So what will be india's answer? Simple 'invite america and japan' and sit back and see what chinese communist goverment comments.

PAK- T-50............................

Attachments

• J-XX_42906.jpg
    J-XX_42906.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The title is misleading IMO. This "wargame" was planned quite early and India and other neighboring countries were most likely informed about it. Also in 2008 (or 2007) India Japan US Singapore had a similar naval exercise. That was part of the Bush doctrine of forming a Quadilateral of democratic govts in the Pacific-Indian Ocean and form a UJIA (US Japan India Australia) Alliance. Although a very simplistic one.

Then soon after India and China conducted joint exercises, and then India signed a defense deal with Russia as well. So its basically a game of chess were each country is trying to block the other countries influence by a series of strategic partnerships.

US, Japan and India flex naval muscle in the Pacific

The title is misleading IMO. This "wargame" was planned quite early and India and other neighboring countries were most likely informed about it. Also in 2008 (or 2007) India Japan US Singapore had a similar naval exercise. That was part of the Bush doctrine of forming a Quadilateral of democratic govts in the Pacific-Indian Ocean and form a UJIA (US Japan India Australia) Alliance. Although a very simplistic one.

Then soon after India and China conducted joint exercises, and then India signed a defense deal with Russia as well. So its basically a game of chess were each country is trying to block the other countries influence by a series of strategic partnerships.

US, Japan and India flex naval muscle in the Pacific

Singapore, the US, Aus, India and Japan's China containing "initiative" has been dead long time ago. China is the second largest trading partner of the US, and is the largest trading partner of Aus, Japan and India - dunno Singapore( but is also huge trade tie). However, Singapore is no worries cuz she is Han Chinese culture dominated society

Money talks!

Com on guys... theres nothing to panic.. every country perform their war games .... some are big and some small. The small ones also gives an idea of the mental / physical state of an army.. I for one am not worried about it... how many indian friends are worried about it? its just an old technique in the book to show the power... we have done that a number of times.. the ball was in chinese court now... they did what they cud have done... and its only healthy both the countries know about each other strengths .... it leaves NO room for any misadventure...
thnx guys

and a quick reminder to our friend MR. MBI MUNSHI , who never miss an oppertunity to try to make the indians all worked up with his posts... but it will Never happen sir , I dont care if U r anti-india and your posts smell of hatred as far as we have the power in our muscles and will to go forward few words cant deter us reaching our dream
thnx mate.:agree:

Singapore, the US, Aus, India and Japan's China containing "initiative" has been dead long time ago. China is the second largest trading partner of the US, and is the largest trading partner of Aus, Japan and India - dunno Singapore( but is also huge trade tie). However, Singapore is no worries cuz she is Han Chinese culture dominated society

Money talks!

Friend china is 2nd largest trading partner of america. Would you tell me why? The reason is simple that china scared of america so much that it made america its largest trading partner so that way america wont attack china in future. Would you like tell me in future what if america has to decide about what it should go for? The trade between china and america or 'INDIAN OCEAN'? (china's life line). Got the hint??? Now u said singapore no worries. You are right. Would you like to say same thing about japan, america, south korea and yep INDIA??? Dont think one way. Think all around and am sure you will find china 'TRAPED' by countries which has power to melt china from all side. The answer of china's biggest war game would come within 6 months. i saw the news that india in talks with america and they both decided to have more war games in america and in india. Dates will be decided in 6 months because right now america alot busy in coming war games (in which india is part of it). Am sure within 6 months america will include alot important countries like japan, uk, south korea etc etc.

what a slap to IA,such comments from your Navy chief will really hurt your confidence,IA should do something now to prove his judgement wrong

Mr aimarul,,....... wot soever has said by the Indian navy Chief dint go over that its just simple ambiguous tactics being used by thm in the past too to buy more weapons like AWACS .....so its a slap for those who thinks its a slap for IA no intention to tell their name here but i think u hav got me.....

what a slap to IA,such comments from your Navy chief will really hurt your confidence,IA should do something now to prove his judgement wrong

Friend indian navy chief might be a fool to say such a thing right??? Same time he said india should hurry to buy more weapons as quickly as possible to match china. Cant you get it what hint he been giving? He the one said navy intrested in JSF F-35 and more lethel weapons from america. Its indian navy forced our goverment to buy P-8I (as china navy's strength is in submarines). That guy naval chief of india way too clever. He the one gave order to follow china's warship and than tried to jam the radar of ur warship. When your china claimed it forced our submarine to surface than our naval chief started laughing (live on tv news channel). He said to jam chinese warship india would use sukhoi-30MKI. It aint big thing. Didnt u get it??? That guy wants more weapons (which is good). He even got angry on russia few months back and said russia delaying aircraft carrier on purpose. To which our goverment warned our naval chief to not speak against russia. He was hinting 'GO WEST' lol. His eyes on american aircraft carrier which would carry F-18 super hornets and JSF F-35. So i hope when he said indian lags behind china than its time china to wary lol.

Mr aimarul,,....... wot soever has said by the Indian navy Chief dint go over that its just simple ambiguous tactics being used by thm in the past too to buy more weapons like AWACS .....so its a slap for those who thinks its a slap for IA no intention to tell their name here but i think u hav got me.....

Friend yesterday i seen benefits of AWACS specially in sea where AWACS protecting Aircraft carriers by joining Aircrafts and telling them where enemy 'missiles' or 'aircraft' coming from. Than the aircrafts on the aircraft carrier flys towards it to destroy it. i wish india buys atleast 6 to 8 Phalcon. That would be more than enough. 2 for pakistan and 4 to 6 for big land mass china. AWACS indeed force multiplyer. india buying 3. in which one already delivered. After all delivery india will go for 3 more. i wish india go for atleast 5 more. Super hercules, phalcons, P-8I are gems of 'devoloped' countrys. M glad India moving right direction. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom