What's new

India to ink largest-ever defence deal with the US soon

:pop:as long as our goverment keep giving us a better home before “kicking" us out of our homes,we have no problem with it:rofl:,actually i have a old house,and i can't wait to see our goverment to pull it down,you have no idea how many farmers were easily become rich guys overnight because of this "goverment kicking",god,i cann't wait to joint them.... unfortunately my house is just an apartment house,all i can get is an new one with same size ..... i guess that's why the Mumbai citizens don't wanna leave their slum,your goverment give them nothing,or worse homes than before:rofl:

here are the pictures about the “Three Gorges” project, you think the old homes are better than the new ones? sorry, we don't agree with you indian :rofl:

39fc516e08d49d7216f167c48cb99094.jpg

7d604fd01bd1840f138dbb815726b73d.jpg

It's like pulling everybody into the hospital to give them "plastic surgery" .
Actually, that is what they might do next!!!

Attachments

• 39fc516e08d49d7216f167c48cb99094.jpg
    39fc516e08d49d7216f167c48cb99094.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 17
That is a joke by all account and a a very sad one.

1) Indian bureaucrats (IAS) and their other civilian counterparts will make sure that this deal takes at least 10 years and by that time the system will be obsolete.

2) even if the deal comes through quickly. USA will never give India the best of the breed technology. They will get a sub-par system which will be obsolete in 5-6 years time as China and Russia catch up.

3) Like the IGMDP this will turn into a big dud as India will try to integrate the systems with the other Russian hardware systems.

India lacks any defence/military vision from top to bottom. This is one of the downside of living under the thumb of a corrupt civilian government and bureaucracy.:sniper:

^^

Can you substantiate what ever you are smoking with some facts?

Indian Army (1 milllion plus) will be overwhelmed by half of the Chinese Army alone!!

If numbers were that conclusive, then PA would also have been overwhelmed by IA, but that isnt the case.

When did India explode a nuke???.....oh yeah, 30 years later!!

You need to check those facts.

The Pakistani political establishment needs to wake up and rethink the cooperation with the US. This is the same country that on the one hand claims to be a close ally of Pakistan. On the other hand, it arms an opposing nation with sophisticated weaponry and advanced nuclear tech to fuel a weapons race. It also dictates and blackmails Pakistan what it can and cannot do such as build no more nuke reactors etc. One begins to wonder whether the US is really a friendly ally as it purportedly claims to be. Time to differentiate between a friend and a foe...

I had been hearing, India could or did built their own fighter jets for the last 20 years. Yet to see them comissioned in IAF. Seems wiered, or they are all big talks. If India really want to place itself as a top military power, they should start build things by themselves, at least copy cat like China...

I had been hearing, India could or did built their own fighter jets for the last 20 years. Yet to see them comissioned in IAF. Seems wiered, or they are all big talks. If India really want to place itself as a top military power, they should start build things by themselves, at least copy cat like China...

I don't know what you heard or something but if you look to the post no. 603 in the LCA thread that should clear some doubts

India to Sign Deal for Eight Boeing P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft
Dated 29/12/2008

Government of India is all set to ink its biggest-ever defence deal with United States, the Rs 8,500-crore contract for the supply of eight Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft for the Navy. "Virtually all the steps" required for the contract to be signed, including tabling of it in the Cabinet Committee on Security for approval, have been completed, said sources on Friday.

The first of these LRMR aircraft will be delivered within four years of the contract being actually signed, with the rest being handed over by 2015, said sources. The LRMR planes will replace the eight ageing and fuel-guzzling Russian-origin Tupolev-142Ms. Customised for India and based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliner, the radar-packed P-8I aircraft will go a long way in plugging the huge gaps in Navy's maritime snooping capabilities with a range of over 600 nautical miles.

The Navy is also in the hunt for six new medium-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft for around Rs 1,600 crore to achieve its aim of an effective three-tier surveillance grid in the entire Indian Ocean. Both Navy and Coast Guard have come in for some criticism for not being able to pre-empt the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai, even though the two forces maintain that they did not get "actionable intelligence'' in time.

The P-8I aircraft will also be armed with Harpoon missiles, torpedoes and depth bombs to give them potent anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare capability. Moreover, they "will enhance interoperability" between the Indian and American navies, in keeping with the growing strategic embrace between the two countries. The LRMR deal will supplant last year's $962-million contract signed with US for six C-130J `Super Hercules' aircraft for use by Indian special forces.

US is still, however, leagues behind Russia, Israel and France in supplying military hardware and software to India. While Russia notches up sales worth about $1.5 billion to India every year, Israel chalks up an annual tally of around $1 billion.

Apart from the C-130J deal, America's only big-ticket deal with India in recent years has been the $190-million contract in 2002 to supply 12 AN/TPQ-37 firefinder weapon-locating radars. India last year acquired amphibious transport vessel USS Trenton for $48.23 million, with the six UH-3H helicopters to operate from it costing another $39 million.

During its quest for LRMR planes, India had earlier rejected the US offer to lease two P-3C Orion reconnaissance aircraft under a $133-million contract. India, of course, remains unhappy over the American decision to sell eight more P-3C Orion aircraft to Pakistan, which already has two such planes in its inventory.

India to Sign Deal for Eight Boeing P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft | India Defence

India inks largest-ever defence deal with US
4 Jan 2009, 2107 hrs IST, Rajat Pandit, TNN

NEW DELHI: The UPA government has quietly gone ahead and signed the biggest-ever defence deal with US: a $2.1 billion contract for eight Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft for Navy.

TOI had reported on December 27 that the huge deal was finally on the verge of being inked after protracted negotiations and clearance from the Cabinet Committee on Security.

The actual signing took place on January 1, with defence ministry's joint secretary and acquisitions manager (maritime systems) Preeti Sudan and Boeing integrated defence systems vice-president and country head Vivek Lall signing the contract, sources said.

But, strangely enough, the defence ministry is keeping the deal under wraps. Incidentally, the previous NDA regime had also signed a flurry of mega defence deals -- like the $1.5 billion one for Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov and $1.1 billion one for three Israeli ‘Phalcon' AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) -- in the run-up to the April-May 2004 general elections.

Sources said the P-8I contract was "a direct commercial agreement with Boeing", with "some issues of end-use verification yet to be fully sorted out" with the US government.

As reported earlier, India and US are negotiating the End-Use Verification Agreement (EUVA) and the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA), which are required under American laws to ensure compliance with sensitive technology control requirements.

The two pacts are required since India is now increasingly turning to US to buy military hardware and software. Though India does not have problems with safeguards, it does not want them to be "intrusive".

In terms of the contract size, the P-8I deal supplants the $962 million deal signed with US in 2007 for six C-130J `Super Hercules' aircraft for Indian special forces.

India will get the first P-8I towards end-2012 or early-2013, with the other seven following in a phased manner by 2015-2016. The contract also provides an option for India to order four to eight more such planes.

Armed with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon anti-ship missiles, the P-8I will also be capable of anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface warfare. They will replace the eight ageing and fuel-guzzling Russian Tupolev-142M turboprops currently being operated by Navy.

The P-8I planes will help in plugging the existing voids in Navy's maritime snooping capabilities, having as they will an operating range of over 600 nautical miles, with `5.5 hours on station'.

Customised for India and based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliner, the P-8I will actually be a variant of the P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft currently being developed for US Navy, which has ordered 108 of them to replace its P-3C Orion fleet. India, of course, remains unhappy over the US decision to sell more P-3C Orions, armed with Harpoon missiles, to Pakistan.

At present, the Navy uses the TU-142Ms, IL-38SDs and Dorniers for surveillance operations in the Indian Ocean region. It is also now in the hunt for six advanced medium-range maritime reconnaissance planes, for around Rs 1,600 crore, to further boost its snooping capabilities.

For innermost layer surveillance, up to 200 nautical miles, Navy is going in for two more Israeli Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), with three ground control stations and two ship control stations, for Rs 386 crore after successfully deploying eight Searcher-II and four Heron UAVs. There is also the Rs 1,163 crore joint Indo-Israeli project for developing rotary-wing UAVs for use from warships.

India inks largest-ever defence deal with US-India-The Times of India

India has gone ahead and done this.

The “Year of Russia in India” is being held in 2008. It will be followed by the “Year of India in Russia” in 2009.

See the letter of president of Russia when he visited India
President of Russia | Speech at the Closing Ceremony of the Year of Russia in India

These "Year of X in Y" are nothing special and have happened for years. What Russia would be watching closely is India's position on key issues that pit Russia against US, i.e. Baltic states/Ukraine/Georgia/Missile Shield.

if that happens its going to be a complete stop of the Russia technology who ever is a friend of US is an enemy of Russia hope you achieve your goal to get US technology and risk Russian friendship.US is a well trusted allie like we see today,Pakistan sooner or later we are going to shoot down drones than US will probably leave Afganistan.72% of Kabul still in a control of Taliban i smell a big failure of US n NATO they should be ashmed and leave the SOUTH-ASIA alone.

The Indian military market is huge and will only grow in future, so if Russia does not want to be a player, it will lose out which is not what Russia wants.

The P8I deal will not worry Russia as there are other deals with Russia in the works (Gorshkov/Flankers/PakFa/maybe Russian reactors?). Also, the increased competition for India's military market could help India in negotiating better terms from Russia which hitherto had been its sole major supplier. E.g. France clearing full ToT on Dassault Rafale in the MRCA bid means western suppliers are now competing head-on with Russia...

The deal is signed guys

India inks largest-ever defence deal with US-India-The Times of India

India inks largest-ever defence deal with US
5 Jan 2009, 0055 hrs IST, Rajat Pandit, TNN

NEW DELHI: The UPA government has quietly gone ahead and signed the biggest-ever defence deal with US: a $2.1 billion contract for eight Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft for Navy.

TOI had reported on December 27 that the huge deal was finally on the verge of being inked after protracted negotiations and clearance from the Cabinet Committee on Security.

The actual signing took place on January 1, with defence ministry's joint secretary and acquisitions manager (maritime systems) Preeti Sudan and Boeing integrated defence systems vice-president and country head Vivek Lall signing the contract, sources said.

But, strangely enough, the defence ministry is keeping the deal under wraps. Incidentally, the previous NDA regime had also signed a flurry of mega defence deals -- like the $1.5 billion one for Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov and $1.1 billion one for three Israeli ‘Phalcon' AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) -- in the run-up to the April-May 2004 general elections.

Sources said the P-8I contract was "a direct commercial agreement with Boeing", with "some issues of end-use verification yet to be fully sorted out" with the US government.

As reported earlier, India and US are negotiating the End-Use Verification Agreement (EUVA) and the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA), which are required under American laws to ensure compliance with sensitive technology control requirements.

The two pacts are required since India is now increasingly turning to US to buy military hardware and software. Though India does not have problems with safeguards, it does not want them to be "intrusive".

In terms of the contract size, the P-8I deal supplants the $962 million deal signed with US in 2007 for six C-130J `Super Hercules' aircraft for Indian special forces.

India will get the first P-8I towards end-2012 or early-2013, with the other seven following in a phased manner by 2015-2016. The contract also provides an option for India to order four to eight more such planes.

Armed with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon anti-ship missiles, the P-8I will also be capable of anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface warfare. They will replace the eight ageing and fuel-guzzling Russian Tupolev-142M turboprops currently being operated by Navy.

The P-8I planes will help in plugging the existing voids in Navy's maritime snooping capabilities, having as they will an operating range of over 600 nautical miles, with `5.5 hours on station'.

Customised for India and based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliner, the P-8I will actually be a variant of the P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft currently being developed for US Navy, which has ordered 108 of them to replace its P-3C Orion fleet. India, of course, remains unhappy over the US decision to sell more P-3C Orions, armed with Harpoon missiles, to Pakistan.

At present, the Navy uses the TU-142Ms, IL-38SDs and Dorniers for surveillance operations in the Indian Ocean region. It is also now in the hunt for six advanced medium-range maritime reconnaissance planes, for around Rs 1,600 crore, to further boost its snooping capabilities.

For innermost layer surveillance, up to 200 nautical miles, Navy is going in for two more Israeli Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), with three ground control stations and two ship control stations, for Rs 386 crore after successfully deploying eight Searcher-II and four Heron UAVs. There is also the Rs 1,163 crore joint Indo-Israeli project for developing rotary-wing UAVs for use from warships.

Back
Top Bottom