India to buy 4 E-2D Advanced Hawkeye for INS Vishal

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK (INN)

Northrop%20Grumman%20-%20E-2D%20Tests-Truman%20(US%20Navy).jpg.6186832.jpg

Naval Commodore (Retd) close to idrw.org has confirmed that Indian Navy is looking to buy four carrier-based- airborne early warning and control aircraft for INS Vishal aka IAC-II for which Northrop Grumman has provided Navy technical information on its E-2D Advanced Hawkeye which is only AEW platform which can operate from aircraft carriers.

India and United States are working closely in framing final design and technical aspects of 65000-tonne Indigenous aircraft carrier which India plans to build next. India is also keen on integrating Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) aircraft catapult systems from the United States.

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye provides unprecedented and continuous 360° air and surface surveillance to the other Naval fighter jets operating in the vicinity. E-2D is equipped with powerful AN/APY-9 radar system which is considered generational leap in radar technology which is specifically designed for cruise missile detection in the protection of Carrier Battle Group.

India which has more than 4700 miles of coastline which requires Three Carrier Battle Groups for robust surveillance of its Naval frontiers. E-2D Advanced Hawkeye is a system which will ensure security and stability of Carrier Battle Group said (Retd) Commodore to idrw.org.

INS vishal is minimum a decade away from reality, there is enough time to devolop a carrier based AEW platform by our own(with brazilian collaboration for airframe). That will be the logical option than going behind a back stabbing supplier like US.

INS vishal is minimum a decade away from reality, there is enough time to devolop a carrier based AEW platform by our own(with brazilian collaboration for airframe). That will be the logical option than going behind a back stabbing supplier like US.
Radar should not be the problem but platform will be.....Brazil or I believe any other country has nothing to offer of that sort of platform yet which is carrier capable....

Radar should not be the problem but platform will be.....Brazil or I believe any other country has nothing to offer of that sort of platform yet which is carrier capable....
At present we don't have such platform, agreeing. But there is enough time to modify platforms for such requirement since ins vishal design itself is yet to get finalised. Based on our shipyards track record we may not be able to float ins vishal before 2030.

Moreover if we choose us AEW, the data link between mig29k,LCA & our future AMCA will definitely gives headache.

At present we don't have such platform, agreeing. But there is enough time to modify platforms for such requirement since ins vishal design itself is yet to get finalised. Based on our shipyards track record we may not be able to float ins vishal before 2030.

Moreover if we choose us AEW, the data link between mig29k,LCA & our future AMCA will definitely gives headache.
But who will modify it? Surely we don't have any know how of that sort. Russians tried to build such aircraft's but failed/cancelled.

On expected lines.. As I said the other platform being discussed with E2D hawkeye is V22 AEW with ability to have harpoons too for quasi ASW role..

E2D hawkeye was always on cards for EMALs based carrier..

A question to ask is all this technology is without signing LSA, BECA and CISMOA or with signing it?

USA may pursue carrot and stick policy..

Also timing of this news is a bit suspicious.. Why would you like to talk about E2D now when carrier is almost 10-12 years away?

Is it to dilute what USA is offering to another nation as aid so to counter the flak showing the carrot of hi end tech being given to us?

Seems that way to me..

On expected lines.. As I said the other platform being discussed with E2D hawkeye is V22 AEW with ability to have harpoons too for quasi ASW role..

E2D hawkeye was always on cards for EMALs based carrier..

A question to asTechnicall this technology is without signing LSA, BECA and CISMOA or with signing it?

USA may pursue carrot and stick policy..

Also timing of this news is a bit suspicious.. Why would you like to talk about E2D now when carrier is almost 10-12 years away?

Is it to dilute what USA is offering to another nation as aid so to counter the flak showing the carrot of hi end tech being given to us?

Seems that way to me..

A simple question, It was asked from my cousin who is not much into defence or politics.
He said 2 things
1. Why do we need to pay for Pakistani acquisitions ?

2. Why do we need to take up others dispute? ( referring to SCS )

Now I would like you not to be your usual Mr Technical, and tell what do you think.

Is moving forward with US and for US ( which doesn't mean 'for' India most of the times ) justified ?

Correct
IAF's data-link system (which shares critical sensor data with friendly aircraft) is not compatible with the Link 16 system in use with almost all NATO nations.. Check all bilateral exercises.. we use old radio transmission for such events due to incompatibility..

So to make it compatible we have to pay some customization charges or remove that link 16 module and put our own compatible system off the shelf.. Now will NG allow us or USA allow such a thing is a good guess? Knowing USA they will offer instead a solution to upgrade whole fleet for link 16 compatibility term it as strategic friendship level solution, charge a bomb.. Simple capitalist business tactics..

No one should forget US MiC is not just money hu gry but blood hungry too..

Last edited:
But who will modify it? Surely we don't have any know how of that sort. Russians tried to build such aircraft's but failed/cancelled.
I hope Brazilians can modify their EMB aircraft, if not go for much larger shore based IAI phalcon.

Correct
IAF's data-link system (which shares critical sensor data with friendly aircraft) is not compatible with the Link 16 system in use with almost all NATO nations.. Check all bilateral exercises.. we use old radio transmission for such events due to incompatibility..

So to make it co.payable we have to pay some customization charges or remove that link 16 module and put our own compatible system off the shelf.. Now will NG allow us or USA allow such a thing is a good guess? Knowing USA they will offer instead a solution to upgrade whole fleet for link 16 compatibility term it as strategic friendship level solution, charge a bomb.. Simple capitalist business tactics..

No one should forget US MiC is not just money hu gry but blood hungry too..

Yeas,that will be a suicidal act,which will force Russians to show their middle finger towards us on our future strategic aquisitions.
The USA love affair with india will stop the day the feel China is no more a threat to US interests.

A simple question, It was asked from my cousin who is not much into defence or politics.
He said 2 things
1. Why do we need to pay for Pakistani acquisitions ?

2. Why do we need to take up others dispute? ( referring to SCS )

Now I would like you not to be your usual Mr Technical, and tell what do you think.

Is moving forward with US and for US ( which doesn't mean 'for' India most of the times ) justified ?

My friend, that's why I said usual USA tactic..
I don't think GOI would fall for it so easily.. Believe me everyone sees the double standards of USA..

I will quote what I feel here.. That uptill China issue with USA is not solved, India will get some assistance but let it be solved then its Pakistan to contain India .. That's the basic outline of their strategy.. So scs poi t of yours is fully justified.. It's not our issues and we should look at our Indian Ocean only..

For funding part, IMHO I always knew 16s would eventually come to PAF.. GOI can at best delay the inevitable aid but its going to be given anyway.. The administration of USA has many pro Pakistan folks like pro India folks.. Kerry being one of the biggest supporter of Pakistan.. So surely for USA own policies they would fund..

That's why I am against USA for very critical needs of ours and don't find AMCA to have GE engines.. To somewhere we should give them the message we don't care if you don't give us tech, we don't like your double speaking standards..

So if we are buying it should be very limited stuff.. No point buying USA stuff when any other ally gets it for free.. This is why we should be very very cautious..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom