What's new

India tests Astra BVRAAM

cant we use it as an lr sam ??

Range for head on, launched from a fast moving platform towards a non maneuvering target at high altitude would be much greater than for being launched stationary platform, from low altitude, towards maneuvering target. Many other factors also get involved.

Range for head on, launched from a fast moving platform towards a non maneuvering target at high altitude would be much greater than for being launched stationary platform, from low altitude, towards maneuvering target. Many other factors also get involved.

i agree u to some extent ......

Can you explain it a bit more ? I dont think its true. A missile can be jammed regardless of whether a country has brought a missile or not... If that were the case IAF would not have answer to AIM 120 C.
Aircrafts such as growler does jam the radars of the aircrafts that fires the missiles -- if they can jam the radars , then pretty much they can jam the missiles fired from the aircrafts.

Sorry but its bit difficult for me to get your words.

When I said that if we don't have a missile we can't jam it?!!!! Ofcourse a missile can be jammed without having it but when an A2A missile is exported their is possibility that the frequency of the homing head can identified by that country and can develop specific jammer for that kind of frequencies also can test on the missile in real time. So it makes quite easier for the EW systems of the aircraft to jam the missile. So its better to have a foreign fighter armed with indigenous missiles. There were some reports that China developed jammers for some Russian missiles they have.

Astra is active guidance system BVR missile. Active guidance BVR missiles can be jammed unless the missile has a capability to home in on the equipment that is trying to generate the jamming signals.

For example :-

AIM 120 C5 is a active guidance BVR missile. However the great thing about this missile is , if a aircraft tries to JAM the missile then AIM 120 changes its guidance and homes in on the source which is trying to send the jamming signals.

ASTRA doesnt have this capability , as far as i know it is just another active guidance missile.

Many many thanks for the info Sir! :)

Ok I will reply to you but first can you pls tell me what is ECCM? And what it does for a missile like AIM 120C, as seems like you are very familiar with the missile?

And how AIM 12C turns from active homing missile to anti-radiation missile? what gives it such capability?

India's Astra BVRAAM Night Fired Successfully

astra4-706753.jpg

India's Astra BVRAAM was test-fired successfully today from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) off India's east coast, its first night firing. The DRDO has said, unofficially so far, that the test was a success, and will be followed by more tests shortly. It is understood that today's test was conducted in bad weather -- the test team had been waiting for cloud cover and rain for the test. :cheers::cheers:

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: India's Astra BVRAAM Night Fired Successfully

Friends, please carry on this discussion in the missile thread,otherwise our mods (which by the way are much more tolerant towards threads like Dhoni's marriage:mod:) will delete this thread and all good things discussed here would go out the window!:angel:

Last edited:
When I said that if we don't have a missile we can't jam it?!!!! Ofcourse a missile can be jammed without having it but when an A2A missile is exported their is possibility that the frequency of the homing head can identified by that country and can develop specific jammer for that kind of frequencies also can test on the missile in real time. So it makes quite easier for the EW systems of the aircraft to jam the missile.

Saar it is highely unlikely for a country to develop a missile specific jammer.

To explain it in a better way or in other words so that you can understand where i am coming from , lets see how a jammer works ?
In a very simple layman's words - A jammer tries to overload the enemy by giving it too much information than it can possibly handle. Realistically it will send out huge amount of radio frequencies covering a very wide spectrum to the enemy missile seeker. And then the pilot prays or hopes that missile seeker gets confused and is not able to pick up the correct signal from the clutter. Ofcourse sometimes it doesnt work.
This is the basic principal of jammer.

Now can a country develop missile specific jammer - Yes it can in theory. For this to be accomplished the missile source codes , frequencies should be present with the enemy country -- untill and unless this is present they cannot design a missile specific jammer. Further adding to the complication is --
1) Lets assume that a country puts in thousands of man hours and arrives at the correct frequency and other needed material of this missile-- But at what cost ? Missiles are constantly upgraded , so the enemy country would always be playing a catch up game -- investing so much money only too see that it is being nullified.
2) Second scenario -- lets say a war broke out-- Enemy country has missile specific jammer. But in a air combat -- how will a pilot know which missile has been fired at him or her ? It can be R77 or R27 or Meteor or Astra -- all covering wide spectrum of frequencies --in this scenario the best possible way to counter it is to send out high amount of radio frequencies to Jam a missile and not a specific radio frequency.

So as i said -- yes it is possible that radio frequencies of the missiles are compromised (although i dont see that happening , no manufacture would divulge these details) -- but i dont believe in countries proactively investing in finding out jamming frequency of missile. They are much better off trying to devise a global package.

So its better to have a foreign fighter armed with indigenous missiles.

It is always better to have indigenous missiles -- gives a great platform for our engineers to build more better platforms -- and that i believe is the only reason.

There were some reports that China developed jammers for some Russian missiles they have.

trust chinese to do that !! That is the only thing i can say ! :D

Many many thanks for the info Sir! :)

Welcome sir..i do try...

Ok I will reply to you but first can you pls tell me what is ECCM? And what it does for a missile like AIM 120C, as seems like you are very familiar with the missile? And how AIM 12C turns from active homing missile to anti-radiation missile? what gives it such capability?

Not sure where you are going with ECCM ? But it is generally called electronic counter measures -- In other words countering electronic warfare.

When a figher fires AIM 120C -- it feeds the target co ordinates to the missile seeker -- Missile seeker algorithm calculates the approximate area where a fighter can be based on altitude , distance , speed etc -- This is done for the AIM 120 C to know when to switch on its terminal guidance.

Now when a fighter tries to jam the incoming missile -- the ECCM detects the jamming signals (if there is a sudden overload in signal frquencies) -- the ECCM feeds this information to active guidance seeker -- the seeker switches the mode to 'Home on Jam' mode. The fighter which is sort of like a shining beacon of frequencies is identified by the missile --co-ordinates are again keyed in --ultimately resulting in the destruction of target.

this is the theoretical knowledge that i have -- however there are escape possibilities which is very evident considering that AIM has so far only 50% success rate (6 out of 12).

I believe i have explained what i think, waiting for your answer/ideas :pop:

India tests short range Astra missile

BHUBANESWAR: India Wednesday test-fired its short-range Astra air-to-air missile from a defence base in Odisha for the second time in two days, defence sources said.

The beyond visual range missile was tested at 2.05 p.m. from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in the district of Balasore, about 230 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

Astra is a high-end tactical missile and is envisaged to intercept enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in head-on mode at a range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km.

The missile was earlier tested Tuesday, for the first time at night. "We are analyzing the data of both the tests" S.P. Dash, director of the test range said.

India tests short range Astra missile - India - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom