India set to be world's second largest steel producer

Bad Guy

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India set to be world’s second largest steel producer
bhilai_steel_plant.jpg
India is close to acquiring the second position in crude steel production if it continues with its current growth rate. The top spot belongs to China and India is behind the world’s second largest steel producer, Japan by just 7.9 million tonne (MT). India overtook the United States last year to become the third largest steel producing country after China and Japan.
According to the latest report of World Steel Association (WSA), India’s steel production during January-October 2016 grew by 6.8% to reach 79.5 MT, even as global steel output saw a 0.1% contraction. Japan produced 87.4 MT crude steel during this period.
As per the WSA report, China, the largest steel producing country, saw just 0.7% growth in the first 10 months and produced 673 MT steel. There was a decline in the output in Japan, the US and Russia by 0.4%, 1.6% and 1.4%, respectively.
The gap in production between Japan and India has narrowed down to just 7.9 MT. This gap, sources said, may further narrow down, as India has shown a 12.3% growth in October compared to Japan’s output growth of just 0.6%.
Steel industry sources said that though India’s position in the world order of steel production is unlikely to change this year as less than two months are left, next year India will be very close to Japan and may even surpass Japan’s production.
“Despite the global slowdown in the steel sector, India’s production has remained not only positive, but also the highest among the major steel producing countries in the world, including China and Japan. This is a matter of great satisfaction for the industry,” said a source.
According to sources, the increase in steel production has been possible after the Centre’s aggressive measures to help the domestic steel industry, as a result of which total steel imports have started coming down. Besides levying Minimum Import Price (MIP) on many items, the government also imposed anti-dumping duty on hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel products. Indian steel companies had jointly filed an application for initiation of anti-dumping investigation concerning their imports, following which the government swung into action to protect the interests of domestic industries.
Global steel production fell 0.1% to 1,333 MT during the period (January to December), compared to the corresponding period last year.

India also second lsargest in export of IT and Software Support & Pharmaceticuls

This is great, amount of steel produced is linked to a country strength.

Ignore the haters from Pakistan as well.

Great thread
No point in simply producing steel. Steel produced should be of better quality. We often end up importing steel for subs & nuclear boiler plants.

Infrastructure is booming in India no doubt about it. Demonetization gonna boost all these infrastructure projects as after Dec 30 government will have largest cash unaccounted or huge dividend of taxes collected and money deposited. Great going.

Increase Defence budget to 3% to accelerate defence production under MII and create more high pay jobs

Last edited:
Where are these "haters" from Pakistan? :partay: :partay: :partay:

I only see two Indians.
I don't wanna create a troll war otherwise I know about two such stupid people.:partay:

It is only one-tenth of China.
Slightly more than 10 times actually; 9 point something.:P Similar is for India's foreign reserves;

the plus point I'm asserting that ours are going faster now and I hope they continue to be.

(2012)India to become second largest steel producer soon: Steel Min
https://defence.pk/threads/india-to-become-second-largest-steel-producer-soon-steel-min.216631/
(2015)India all set to become World's Second Largest Steel Producer This Year
https://defence.pk/threads/india-al...cond-largest-steel-producer-this-year.352057/
(2016)India set to be world's second largest steel producer
https://defence.pk/threads/india-set-to-be-worlds-second-largest-steel-producer.464682/
177528.jpg
I thinks this all depends on projections.India's growth was enough high initially in these periods but came down slowly.
One thing surely occurred that India overtook America for third spot. And as our steel production runs neck in neck with Japan now, we will overtake them soon. Even if growth slows this time, may be further year because developing economies expand faster than developed ones.:-)

Slightly more than 10 times actually; 9 point something.:P Similar is for India's foreign reserves;
If slightly less than 10 times make you happy then so it be. OK, I am correcting it,It is 8.465408805031447 times smaller than China.Now happy?:-)

Back
Top Bottom