What's new

India seeks Pak passageway for freight train service

Kashmir was almost resolved? *Coughs*

According to you but not the Kashmiris themselves who live under the shadow of Indian military rifles.

Although I agree that the whole of Sub-continent has so much to gain from trade.

According to Musharraf, and many separatist leaders. (geelani doesn't fall in this category). It was based on Musharraf's own five-point formula for self-governance. Ofcourse not all issues had been worked out, but there was a lot of positive movement.

Some details are here http://www.defence.pk/forums/kashmir-war/33537-hurriyats-moment-decision-op-ed.html

The only reason for recent hostility between India-Pakistan is because of LeT's recent attacks in Mumbai. Even though there had been a number of terrorits attacks in many Indian cities before by LeT operatives, the relations were quiet smooth and Kashmir was almost resolved.

Then Musharraf lost power and then mumbai happened. Ofcourse there is a section in India that also doesn't want good relations with Pakistan and you have exmaples of the samjhuta express blasts for example.

Btw, Pakistan will also get access to huge consumer markets of India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and possibly Indo china even. The consumer markets in Central Asia and Afghanistan are quite small in comparison

Pakistan already has access to China. We even signed a free trade agreement with China recently. Pakistan and China also share a border with each other, ever heard of the The Karakoram Highway?

And India wants access to not only Central Asia but also Middle East and Europe through Pakistan. Did you even read the article before commenting?

Trade between South Asian countries will definately help each country's economy, but for India to gain access to Middle East, Central Asia, and Europe through Pakistani soil..its going to cost India a lot and I just dont mean a lot of money but a lot of work in solving ALL our disputes.

^^
Indo-China refers to countries in the ASEAN group. These are, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and even Malaysia and Indonesia

^^
Indo-China refers to countries in the ASEAN group. These are, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and even Malaysia and Indonesia

We can gain access to all those countries through our closest ally China.

:pakistan::china:

5b98bc4393cfb51ad2cecd78c30b279e.gif

Last edited:

TEHRAN (FNA)- Pakistani Minister of Railways Haji Ghulam Ahmed Bilour on Monday announced that the country is mulling the possibility for linking Islamabad-Tehran-Istanbul railway to China.

"After the success of ECO (Economic Cooperation Organization) train, Islamabad is studying the railway between Pakistan-China," Bilour told FNA.

He also reiterated that Islamabad has assigned a consortium to examine the railway project between Pakistan and China.

Bilour highlighted that Islamabad and Beijing intend to start the project with a freight train in the first stage and they would consider operation of a business class passenger train at a later stage.

The first Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) freight started its operation from Islamabad on 14 August, Pakistan's National Day.

The 6,500-kilometer railroad is among ECO's major projects. 1,900 km out of the 6,506 km-long railway passes through Pakistan, 2,570 km through Iran and the remaining 2,036 km passes through Turkey.

The concept of such a train was proposed at the 18th Regional Planning Council of the ECO held in March 2008 in Islamabad.

The regular service of the train is expected to begin next year.

The ultimate aim of the project is to start a regular passenger train service between ECO member states and provide a link to Europe and Central Asia.

Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are member states of the ECO.

We can gain access to all those countries through our closest ally China.

Well Pakistan can use the sea link to Indo-China which would probably be more economical than going through China. And India can reach Central Asia thorough Iran-Afghanistan.

But the link through India will give an economical way to transport goods to Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Indo-China.

Also Pakistan is competing with China in some high value goods like textiles with China, so keeping transport costs low is beneficial for Pakistani business

India has sent an application in writing to Pakistan seeking permission for a passage way to start a freight train service from India to middle east and Europe via Iran and Turkey

These freight boogeys should be detached from the Indian trains then hooked to Pakistani trains for onward travel -- seems to me to allow Indian trains passage through Pakistan will be problematic.

Airlines use a code sharing system, perhaps this kind of system could be modified for use in this case.

Well Pakistan can use the sea link to Indo-China which would probably be more economical than going through China. And India can reach Central Asia thorough Iran-Afghanistan.

But the link through India will give an economical way to transport goods to Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Indo-China.

Also Pakistan is competing with China in some high value goods like textiles with China, so keeping transport costs low is beneficial for Pakistani business

Reaching Nepal, Bhutan, and all the other South Asian countries from Islamabad through China is almost the same distance as from Islamabad through India. Islamabad is more closer to Kashmir than New Delhi if you haven't noticed.

India can get to Iran by sea but there is no way India can get to Iran, Turkey, or Central Asia by train without Pakistan's permission.

Doing trade with South Eastern Asian countries is beneficial but not as benefecial as doing trade with Central Asia, Middle East, Europe, and China.

Even if we continue to have bad relations with India, we still can have access to south eastern Asian countries through China which is almost the same distance as through India. Getting to Bangladesh might be a problem but Bangladesh shares a small border with Myanmar (Burma).

Last edited:

Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives and Myanmar are "opportunity" for Pakistan? and what is India eying at? Iran, Afghanistan, Turky, Central Asia, Middle East and Europe? Trade and business opportunity Pakistan is not even 1/10 of what it would be for India. So India is like 10 times more in need of Pakistan than we need them.

In the same week, we have received strong protest from India on the construction of Bunji Dam and the same week India is requesting for trade route. Has Indian leaders lost commonsense that when you are going to request something, you don't point finger a the same time.

Ahm Ahm.... Lets first let them sit on the same table as ours.... I mean all indians think the world is theirs to dominate but they forget that thier world (WEST) is closer to us...
I say we should not fall into this trap again.... SEE IPI pipeline.....because of their rantings it took soo long ....
I wonder if it is the same plan as before....Lets keep them out of this....
Lets enjoy the ripe fruits of this link our self and the rest rotten ones can be given to them....
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN>>>>(HOPEFULLY)

Ahm Ahm.... Lets first let them sit on the same table as ours.... I mean all indians think the world is theirs to dominate but they forget that thier world (WEST) is closer to us...
I say we should not fall into this trap again.... SEE IPI pipeline.....because of their rantings it took soo long ....
I wonder if it is the same plan as before....Lets keep them out of this....
Lets enjoy the ripe fruits of this link our self and the rest rotten ones can be given to them....
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN>>>>(HOPEFULLY)

Its a great project. The ultimate aim of the project is to start a regular passenger train service between ECO member states and provide a link to Europe and Central Asia.

Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are member states of the ECO.

And now China may join in too.

India is missing out, if only it tried having good relations with Pakistan.

:pakistan:

A big opportunity here for peace. But first India should resolve all issues related to Pakistan.

Pakistan has so much potential in terms of trade corridor and energy corridor.
Its not the first time India needs Pakistan (Remember IPI Gas Pipeline).

India can get these and a lot of other benefits if it resolves the Kashmir issue.

Its a great project. The ultimate aim of the project is to start a regular passenger train service between ECO member states and provide a link to Europe and Central Asia.

And now China may join in too.

India is missing out, if only it tried having good relations with Pakistan.

:pakistan:

Yes sir i agree..
They never thought about it as you see relations between iran and pakistan were an a low for quite a while...
When this project is finished it will mean starting of an economic block on the lines on EU...
Remember before the EU the base of their trade was dependant on train routes.
Also now i think they reaslise how much money they will be missing on in near future.

The only reason for recent hostility between India-Pakistan is because of LeT's recent attacks in Mumbai. Even though there had been a number of terrorits attacks in many Indian cities before by LeT operatives, the relations were quiet smooth and Kashmir was almost resolved.
Then Musharraf lost power and then mumbai happened. Ofcourse there is a section in India that also doesn't want good relations with Pakistan and you have exmaples of the samjhuta express blasts for example.

Btw, Pakistan will also get access to huge consumer markets of India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and possibly Indo china even. The consumer markets in Central Asia and Afghanistan are quite small in comparison

Relations were good, Kashmir was almost solved, we almost go there, it was about to be done:argh::argh:....but then terrorist attack happend :lol:. Dude, we (Pakistanis) have been hearing this bakwaas ever since independence, we were always there, we got it done:rofl: etc etc.

As for the original topic, i guess Pakistan is in a better position. We must not give India this trade route easily. First tell them to solve Kashmir (and this time do it properly, not the same bakwaaas again) and then they can have a train link. If they dont agree then, Pak should just say goodbye, its not like wee need them. It's the other way round;)

Yes sir i agree..
They never thought about it as you see relations between iran and pakistan were an a low for quite a while...
When this project is finished it will mean starting of an economic block on the lines on EU...
Remember before the EU the base of their trade was dependant on train routes.
Also now i think they reaslise how much money they will be missing on in near future.

The first train from Islamabad reached Turkey last month. Check this thread:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/economy-development/31753-pakistan-turkey-rail-trial-starts.html

And ECO was established in 1985 by Pakistan, Iran, and Turkey for the purpose of promoting economic, technical and cultural cooperation among the Member States.

I found this picture on their website:

Leaders of Nations part of ECO:
62e0b602c3ccac6869c441f9f26f6c58.jpg

The 10th ECO Summit held in Tehran, on 11th March, 2009

Back
Top Bottom