What's new

Shijiazhuang (Hebei, China) to Yen Vien (Hanoi, Vietnam) direct rail freight route is open

AViet

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
From 02 Aug 2023, the direct freight train between Shijiazhuang to Hanoi is open. The train will comprise 23 cars for 800 tonnes, and takes 4 - 5 days to complete the 2,700 km distance.

Currently, the 160 km dual gauge (1000 - 1435 mm) rail line between Hanoi and Dong Dang on the border with China is degraded and slow (average 40 km/h). Built originally by the French, it was aided another rail to accomodate Chinese trains during the anti-America war.

The future plan is to built a totally new line (double tracked, 250 km/h), but timeline is unknown. AFAIK, on the Chinese side, the high speed railway from Nanning to Pingxiang (on the border) is almost completed.

From 02 Aug 2023, the direct freight train between Shijiazhuang to Hanoi is open. The train will comprise 23 cars for 800 tonnes, and takes 4 - 5 days to complete the 2,700 km distance.

Currently, the 160 km dual gauge (1000 - 1435 mm) rail line between Hanoi and Dong Dang on the border with China is degraded and slow (average 40 km/h). Built originally by the French, it was aided another rail to accomodate Chinese trains during the anti-America war.

The future plan is to built a totally new line (double tracked, 250 km/h), but timeline is unknown. AFAIK, on the Chinese side, the high speed railway from Nanning to Pingxiang (on the border) is almost completed.

The railway was delayed by Vietnam. After the China-Laos railway was built, China's enthusiasm was not as high as before.

The railway was delayed by Vietnam. After the China-Laos railway was built, China's enthusiasm was not as high as before.

I believe you're talking about the Lao Cai - Hanoi - Haiphong line, which connects to China at Hekou (Yunnan), which is different. (Single tracked, metre-gauge railway still exist and already connect to China via the old metre gauge line)

The timeline for construction of this new line (~ 400 km, standard gauge, double tracked) is before 2030.

Another future railways which can connect to China at Dongxing (Guangxi) are being planned, but so far, no details about specification and timeline (an extension of the railway from Ha Long to Mong Cai (on the border), about 130 km)

I believe you're talking about the Lao Cai - Hanoi - Haiphong line, which connects to China at Hekou (Yunnan), which is different. (Single tracked, metre-gauge railway still exist and already connect to China via the old metre gauge line)

The timeline for construction of this new line (~ 400 km, standard gauge, double tracked) is before 2030.

Another future railways which can connect to China at Dongxing (Guangxi) are being planned, but so far, no details about specification and timeline (an extension of the railway from Ha Long to Mong Cai (on the border), about 130 km)

What I’m talking about is Dongxing. After the China-Laos railway is opened to traffic, investment recovery should also be considered. It will be faster to build Vientiane, the capital of Laos, to the port of Vietnam.

In fact, the initiative is in the hands of the Chinese government, they can cancel this project at any time, moreover the truth is that Vietnam does not care too much about that issue.

Respect China's decision.

In fact, the initiative is in the hands of the Chinese government, they can cancel this project at any time, moreover the truth is that Vietnam does not care too much about that issue.

This is just my guess. Compared with China- Kyrgyz-Uzbekistan Railway, it was launched immediately.

It is also feasible for Vietnam to connect to the China-Laos railway.

HSR would cost 70 billion USD. Vietnam gov seeks loans from the west. Seeking loans from China seems not the option. But either ways both JP and CN not willing to give loans and technology to Vietnam.
For me the remaining options are HSR from Korea, France, Spain, Italy or Germany. They would give loans and technology while Vietnam would build the HSR.

HSR would cost 70 billion USD. Vietnam gov seeks loans from the west. Seeking loans from China seems not the option.
I am not in favor of borrowing money from anyone. Should do everything with Vietnamese money, if not, postpone or cancel the project.

However, the final decision belongs to the leaders of Vietnam and they do not care much about how future descendants have to repay the debt.

I am not in favor of borrowing money from anyone. Should do everything with Vietnamese money, if not, postpone or cancel the project.

However, the final decision belongs to the leaders of Vietnam and they do not care much about how future descendants have to repay the debt.
I am with you to do with own money. But $70b is not a small money. But even with own money the issue with owning the HSR technology remains.

Back
Top Bottom