What's new

India reveals details about RTA-70 regional aircraft

Naysayers will never stop. Now one can say, why India should have manufacturing industry at all, when buying cheaper from China is better economics? LOL!

India's regional aircraft could be a jet​

India's first indigenous regional aircraft, the RTA-70, could be powered by turbofan engines, with the government viewing it as a stepping stone to larger aircraft.

Although the RTA-70 (regional transport aircraft-70) was originally envisaged as a 70- to 90-seat turboprop, the Indian government asked National Aerospace Laboratories to investigate the use of turbofans. NAL is studying the two options, and will report to the government in April 2011, after which a decision will be made.

"The government asked us to look at the turbofan option, and after we conduct a feasibility study, we will decide," says NAL director AR Upadhya. "Previously, we were focusing only on a high-wing turboprop design. If all goes well, by the end of 2011 we will have full go-ahead to create the aircraft."

NAL has been in talks with jet engine producers, including General Electric, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce and Snecma. It says all have shown interest in the project.

getAsset.aspx

"Initially, we were looking only at the turboprop option because of the high price of fuel," says Upadhya. "Lifecycle costs were our key concern. The government then asked us to look at the turbofan option, because they see it as a stepping stone to the high end."

NAL foresees demand for regional aircraft in India reaching 250 by 2025. This is driven by India's increasingly wealthy middle class, and its demand for flights on low-cost carriers. In addition, industries are moving into India's smaller cities, increasing the viability of regional flights to those destinations.

NAL also sees possible demand for 150 military variants to replace the Indian air force's Antonov An-32 fleet.

Irrespective of the RTA-70's powerplant, it is likely to come in two variants - a shorter one with 70-90 seats and a longer one with 80-100 seats. Its range will be 1,350nm (2,500km), suitable for most long sectors in India. Avionics are likely to be produced locally, and include an indigenous fly-by-wire control system to save weight.

Upadhya estimates the aircraft could be in service as soon as 2017, and NAL is open to international and local partners. The aircraft would be produced by government-owned Hindustan Aeronautics.
If India were to produce the RTA-70 as a jet, it would find itself in the increasingly crowded field of 50- to 100-seat regional jets. Competitors would include the Bombardier CSeries, Comac ARJ21 Embraer's E-Jets and the Sukhoi Superjet.

Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 Aircraft News from Flightglobal

Surprisingly NAL has taken an Average Height of US man to To Adjust the Fuselage Height... :lol: ... Might be because NAL is Keeping Export In Mind, Good , India must improve its Aviation sector which is predicted to be the future

Also Heard that NAL is developing Technologies for Core Engine,.. Is it for UAV? or for the Future Aircrafts such as RTA-70 and RTA-90 and RTA-100 of its??

Surprisingly NAL has taken an Average Height of US man to To Adjust the Fuselage Height... :lol: ... Might be because NAL is Keeping Export In Mind, Good , India must improve its Aviation sector which is predicted to be the future

They should have actually taken the Avg Weight of an American as a standard. Reminds me of an incident in South Carolina where the weight of a small aircraft(Passenger + Luggage) was calculated based on a 70's avg and the crew did not spread the passengers to balance weight resulting in an extreme nose up position during takeoff and subsequent crash.

This is a good start for India in this field, my favourate aircraft till date was embraer Jet.... But after looking at this RTA 70 design, this is a lot cooler design. I love it....

In another 20 years Iam sure we can compete the world market by providing world class passenger aircrafts... this is a brilliant piece of design....

We can replace RTA-70 with the dornier aircraft which the navy uses.... this has more range, seat and speed...

30 years, are you kidding me, Russia has spent the past 50 years trying to break into the market and is just starting to have some preliminary success. By the time India finishes its jet, it will be facing competition not only from bombardier and embraer but also the russian ssj, the chinese arj, and the japanese mrj. well, one big advantage to india is the Potential of its dosmetic market, which is still way smaller than China's, Japan's, and Russia's as of now. Who knows when will the Indian market grow big enough to support such a project.

30 years, are you kidding me, Russia has spent the past 50 years trying to break into the market and is just starting to have some preliminary success. By the time India finishes its jet, it will be facing competition not only from bombardier and embraer but also the russian ssj, the chinese arj, and the japanese mrj. well, one big advantage to india is the Potential of its dosmetic market
yeah you are right about it. But i think Indian and Chinese planes will cheaper than others. Also don't worry, I don't think NAL will have time for exports. Production unit won't be too big like yours. The unit will be busy with domestic business only.

which is still way smaller than China's, Japan's, and Russia's as of now. Who knows when will the Indian market grow big enough to support such a project.

Come on stop with your predictable banter. Indigo airlines (that i'm sure you have never heard of) placed a high order of Airbus aircrafts. The aircraft was an A320. Industry analysts believe the India's aviation market is poised for 20% annual growth as private airlines multiply. There is no doubt in anybody's mind that India has a growing market except you! If China has bigger/biggest market ..good for you. Now leave us alone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom