What's new

India plans to upgrade T-90 Main Battle Tank

update your info, its still there for most t-90s as well.

Antony gives night vision to army tanks, combat units - News Oneindia
Seventy per cent tanks out of night-blind category: Gen V K Singh - Defence Now

Upgrading its capabilities to fight in dark, the Indian Army has modernised and removed night-blindness of at least 70 per cent of its tanks.
"We have been able to do away with night-blindness of 70 per cent of our tanks and they can fight 24X7," Army Chief Gen V K Singh said on the sidelines of the Army day.

Note that the report is from the time of VKS' tenure as CoAS.

7da32bcbf250d802c860b567de7a7cd7.jpg

This map shows Kashmir being part of China.

update your info, its still there for most t-90s as well.

Nope sir, Almost 70% of Indian Tanks being upgraded with Night Fighting Capability during General VK Singh's tenure. IA is not fool to stay night blind facing two strong adversaries.
@janon has already provided you with a link.
I agree with you though, Russia has been milking us not only T90 but also many other project as well. t90 Bhisma is a very potent tank, only fools will undermine it.

allocating budget for acquiring equipment DOES NOT mean they are acquired and integrated. the reality is around 900 t-72s and most t-90s are awaiting night vision TIs as of now.

t-90 has missile integration issues, thats why drdo is given a task to make one in house.

t-90 has ECS issues, no AC for crew in desert environment is nothing short of nightmare for the crew.

more later..

Nope sir, Almost 70% of Indian Tanks being upgraded with Night Fighting Capability during General VK Singh's tenure. IA is not fool to stay night blind facing two strong adversaries.
@janon has already provided you with a link.
I agree with you though, Russia has been milking us not only T90 but also many other project as well. t90 Bhisma is a very potent tank, only fools will undermine it.

read my post above

@Dazzler Night vision is not always necessary when you have thermal imaging for the enemies. But regardless, yes the Indians choose to strip the T-90. Why? Ask the Indian army, unless you think you know better than the tank crews. Which I highly doubt you do. Its the same problem with the FCS, Russian electronics, especially with out a AC unit, spread out in hot conditions fail!. This is the biggest problem they have to tackle before they can think of upgrading the electronics.
BTW thanks for the 1 liners. You really are a think tank. lol

allocating budget for acquiring equipment DOES NOT mean they are acquired and integrated. the reality is around 900 t-72s and most t-90s are awaiting night vision TIs as of now.

t-90 has missile integration issues, thats why drdo is given a task to make one in house.

t-90 has ECS issues, no AC for crew in desert environment is nothing short of nightmare for the crew.

more later..

read my post above

1. DRDO has been asked to develop missile for Arjun Mkii due to glitches in performance of LAHAT last time I remember. I might be wrong, can you provide me with some links about T90s as well.
2. Heard about AC integration programs a while back around 2009-10. What makes you think same problem persist even now.
3. I dont think Integrating NV too rest of the remaining 900 t72s a priority at the moment, we are going to phase them out anyways. About night blindness of t90s I am not convinced, You may be right though. Will get back to you with more info.

Read the following lines carefully...

"We have been able to do away with
night-blindness of 70 per cent of our
tanks and they can fight 24X7," Army
Chief Gen V K Singh said on the
sidelines of the Army day.

He said the future fleet of the tanks
is being provided the panoramic
night sight and will be highly-agile
in night operations also.
The Army has managed to fit night
vision devices including thermal
imagers and infra-red equipment in
70 per cent of its tank armada to
counter "night blindness” and set
aside more than Rs 5,000 crore
(approx. $ 953,649.00) for
procurement of night vision devices,
surveillance and battle field support
equipment.
India and Pakistan have fought tank
battles in the plains of Punjab,
Rajasthan and Gujarat in 1965 and
1971 wars and "night blindness” can
prove disastrous given the present
slow rate of acquisitions.
Nigh vision devices including
thermal imagers and infra-red
equipment enables the tank crew to
negotiate rugged terrain and acquire
and then destroy a target at night.
Tanks are usually deployed to smash
enemy defences and then dash into
its territory at a fast pace and
denying him to regroup and launch
a counter-assault.
Having occupied substantial part of
the enemy territory, the infantry
which travels along with the
Armoured Corps comprising tanks in
armoured personnel carriers and
even tanks, then hold the ground
and mop up rival infantry in close
quarter battle.
Realising that "night blindness” was
a crucial "operational gap” India
started the process of the equipping
its tanks with night vision devices
more than 15 years back and invited
global tenders. Israel, Russia and
France
emerged as the main
contenders and contracts were
signed with companies of these two
countries for night vision devices.
The Army has three classes of
frontline tanks including T-72, T-90
and Arjun.

Last edited:
@Dazzler Note: The link you has provided is dated more than a year back. Even there, it has been clearly stated that more than 50% of indian Armour has integrated NV capability already. Not surprising to see 20% more tanks been upgraded with NV within a year.
So get your facts right.

Last edited:
@Dazzler Note: The link you has provided is dated more than a year back. Even there, it has been clearly stated that more than 50% of indian Armour has integrated NV capability already. Not surprising to see 20% more tanks been upgraded with NV within a year.
So get your facts right.

so in one year all issues are resolved? You need to gain more knowledge on the issue. Also, t-72 is not a frontline mbt in the presence of t-90 and Arjun, rather second tier.

@Dazzler Night vision is not always necessary when you have thermal imaging for the enemies. But regardless, yes the Indians choose to strip the T-90. Why? Ask the Indian army, unless you think you know better than the tank crews. Which I highly doubt you do. Its the same problem with the FCS, Russian electronics, especially with out a AC unit, spread out in hot conditions fail!. This is the biggest problem they have to tackle before they can think of upgrading the electronics.

several of your tank crews refuse to even fire because they fear the round might explode in the gun.

the situation remains the same with no improvement. Horribly, rounds for t-72 and 90, despite being 125mm rounds, are not interchangeable due to different fcs that refuses to accept rounds that are not preprogrammed in the ballistic computer.

i know ground realities and talk about them, not at liberty to discuss any further. the fact is that t90 has several issues of varying nature despite being in service for almost a decade which should not be acceptable at all. more later.

Last edited:
Dazzler

Dont worry too much about the 3500 Tanks in the indian army including T90 upgraded T72 & new Arjuns.

They have the $$$ and means to keep updating them WHICH is constant it neva stops.

WORRY more about the low cost budget AL ZARRAR based on a 50 year old T55 /T69that pakistani army currenty has and represents 60% of the PAK ARMOUR OF 2000 TANKS

AROUND 1200 of your pak army tanks are upgraded T59 OR T69 these models are over 50 years old.

And you dont have the resources to upgrade and buy large nos of more tanks.

Your are resorted to upgrading vintage stocks and rename them AL ZARRAR

so in one year all issues are resolved? You need to gain more knowledge on the issue. Also, t-72 is not a frontline mbt in the presence of t-90 and Arjun, rather second tier.

I never said every single problem in relation to t90s being solved. I just pointed out the fact that within a year it is possible to upgrade 20% more tanks with NV kits. And about, AC system, problem dated back to 2009-10. 5 year period is enough time to integrate ac to every single t90s aquired till date. I agree many problems still persist.

Look at point no 3 of the above quoted post. I myself said upgrading t72s not a priority as we have to phase them out anyway. You should have read my reply carefully mate.

Dazzler

Dont worry too much about the 3500 Tanks in the indian army including T90 upgraded T72 & new Arjuns.

They have the $$$ and means to keep updating them WHICH is constant it neva stops.

WORRY more about the low cost budget AL ZARRAR based on a 50 year old T55 /T69that pakistani army currenty has and represents 60% of the PAK ARMOUR OF 2000 TANKS

AROUND 1200 of your pak army tanks are upgraded T59 OR T69 these models are over 50 years old.

And you dont have the resources to upgrade and buy large nos of more tanks.

Your are resorted to upgrading vintage stocks and rename them AL ZARRAR

Anything is better than your t-72s with blowing guns, no proper ammo to fire let alone survive in the battlefield, smoking hot hulls turrets and night blindness, no FCS to guide ammo properly at all which is a pity.

Do yourself a favor, before comparing your t-72s (including CIA upgraded ones), atleast have a look at the specifications of both, since you are so hell bent on comparisons. There is a world of difference between Pak Tanks and Indian tanks. None of IA mbt fleet is without issues, Arjun lacks a trust of user, not to mention its LAHAT missile issues now making ammo trouble even deeper.

T-90 has issues that never end, and t-72s are all but battle ready. Even the upgrade is not complete, Tisas sights are not integrated fleet wide, barely 1/3rd fleet has night vision, even less have a thermal imager, no FCS at all, which is a famous monkey model trait.

Latest Alzarrar has BMS terminal installed, it has ct2g (which means second gen thermal imager), sophisticated FCS made inhouse, AC, 125mm chrome plated gun that can fire all apfsds and HEAT rounds without exploding.

Thetis in Alzarrar..

f3d81d0e5eb89646c78ac4e6fd73cc41.png

Now, for starter, here is a Comptroller report from Feb 2014

CAG report reveals T-90 tanks are vulnerable to heat 'because they don't have air conditioning' | Daily Mail Online

from 2013..

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom