What's new

India planning acquisition of S-400 Triumf air defence missile system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wastage of money!!!! TOI at it again, so is foreign lobby!!!

Wastage of money!!!! TOI at it again, so is foreign lobby!!!

I think India is nowhere close to develope anything similar to even S-350 let alone Triumph even in next decade or so. And on top of that we need to wean Russia away from pakistan. So if this procurement goes threw on Government to government basis then it will be mix of Geo-politics as well as regional tactical victory . And mind it Russia needs hard cash even more after western sanctions and unexpected fall in crude's market.

Last edited:
I think India is nowhere close to develope anything similar to even S-350 let alon Triumph even in next decade or so. And on top of that we need to wean away Russia from pakistan. So if this procurement goes threw then it will be mix of Geo-politics as well as regional tactic . And mind it Russia needs hard cash even more after western sanctions and unexpected fall in crude's market.

India is developing sumthing it is good enough for our need, ie MRSAM with 120 km. Also DRDO is developing a 250 km range SAM. Russian systems are not cutting edge. Else we buy only THAAD. Its best.

Although India already does not have any money to finance new jets to replace it's falling from the sky air force, but under Modi it is going to go totally bankrupt trying to buy something from everyone thinking that will keep them from selling anything to Pakistan. Fortunately this not how world economy runs or no one closes their factories after selling some goodies to the new show off on the block.

P.S. LOL I missed the "Soon" in my first sweep..........wasted effort.
A$$ burning festive going on or what? S-400 will cover all of Pakistan but don't worry it is not for you.

aUlHatH.png

India is developing sumthing it is good enough for our need, ie MRSAM with 120 km. Also DRDO is developing a 250 km range SAM. Russian systems are not cutting edge. Else we buy only THAAD. Its best.

And may be I might have missed but was THAAD offered to us at any point ??

Radars to look deep into enemy's flight routine plans and high above to protect our bases can't be fulfilled with in house radars. We need them . Even China is procuring them .

And may be I might have missed but was THAAD offered to us at any point ??

Radars to look deep into enemy's flight routine plans and high above to protect our bases can't be fulfilled with in house radars. We need them . Even China is procuring them .

India and US has very close defence cooperation, if India wants US will give it a thought. S-400 is nothing compared to THAAD. It has been developed over years jointly by Lockheed, Boeing and Raytheon.

US is selling them to UAE and Qatar.

United Arab Emirates - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System Missiles (THAAD) | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

Qatar - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

India and US has very close defence cooperation, if India wants US will give it a thought. S-400 is nothing compared to THAAD. It has been developed over years jointly by Lockheed, Boeing and Raytheon.

US is selling them to UAE and Qatar.

United Arab Emirates - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System Missiles (THAAD) | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

Qatar - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

We already have enough of US modern aerial platforms and I think it's not wise to keep all eggs in same basket, diversification is necessary and at same time we can't afford China-Russia both tilting towards Pakistan.

But anyway , can you please compare the specs of THAAD and Triumph to show that US system is better ??And I guess cost factor too must be considered. I guess for the cost of 1 THAAD we can buy more Triumph regiments.

Good Acquisition. Needed for outer layer of Air defence.

Is S-500 in production ? That was supposed to have range of ~500 Km...

Good Acquisition. Needed for outer layer of Air defence.

Is S-500 in production ? That was supposed to have range of ~500 Km...

I think they are yet to hit production line.

why would it need to intercept E3A & E2C? airborne AEWs never cross into enemy borders.

besides we have seen during the Lebanese war and the gulf war that SEAD operations using AGM88 HARM can neutralize the Air Defense systems.

or in an INDO PAK scenario

MAR-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its massive range allows it to kill AWACS operating inside its own borders.AWACS planes have typically high RCS.
Ofcourse SEAD is the typical way to neutralize systems but in those cases only 1 side(Israel/usa) was using sophisticated electronic warfare and jamming against soviet era systems.S-400 is new system which is far more formidable.Doesn't make it invulnerable to SEAD,but very costly to take out.
Personally i think this buy is for 3 reasons -
1.Protection against pakistani and chinese SRBMs, and LACMs( like babur).With both Barak-8 and s-400 able to intercept these,air defence network will be much more robust.
2.As defence against upcoming PLAAF stealth fighters like J-20.S-400 has anti-stealth features like VHF/UHF radars designed for use against f-35 like planes.With delay in PAKFA this will be precautionary measure.
3.Temporary ad-hoc ballistic missile shield until indigeneous programme matures with AAD/PDV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom