What's new

India makes education compulsory and free under landmark law

Skeptic

Reaction score
Country
India
India makes education compulsory and free under landmark law

The Indian parliament has passed a bill to provide universal, free and compulsory education for all children aged between six and 14.
By Dean Nelson in New Delhi
Published: 3:02PM BST 21 Jul 2009

The law, passed more than 60 years after India won independence, has been hailed by children's rights campaigners and educationalists as a landmark in the country's history.

India's failure to fund universal education until now, and its focus on higher education, have been cited as factors in its low literacy rates. More than 35 per cent of Indians are illiterate, and more than 50 per cent of its female population cannot read.

Official figures record that 50 per cent of Indian children do not go to school, and that more than 50 per cent of those who do drop out before reaching class five at the age of 11 or 12.

Campaigners say children from poor families are often discouraged by parents who need them to work, while financial obstacles are put in the way of families who would like their children to be educated. Families are often deterred by the cost of school books and uniforms.

The Right to Free and Compulsory Education Bill will now guarantee 25 per cent of places in private schools are reserved for poor children, establish a three-year neighbourhood school-building programme, and end civil servants' discretion in deciding which children will be given places.

"Nobody can say no to admission to children. We are sitting on a great opportunity. If we lose it, I don't know what will happen to our country," said Kapil Sibal, the human resources and development minister.

"[Education] will be a fundamental right of the child. There is no way that we will not have the finances. We have to do it, we have wasted a lot of time," he told parliament.

The bill's passage was welcomed by campaigners who warned that the legislation that the government would have to remove other obstacles to universal education.

"It's a welcome step, but the government has to take strict measures to control child labour, which is the biggest impediment to child education," said Thomas Chandy, chief executive of Save the Children India.

"Passing a bill is one easy thing to do, what is important is to make parents, particularly in rural areas, aware of the benefits of education and to make them send their children to school. This change has to come at the community level and also to make people at the helm of affairs accountable."

And Yes.... I'm Back......:victory:

It's a positive step forward, but the problems that India will face by adopting such a policy "Universal education", will cause crowded classrooms and massive over population of schools with poor infrastructure. So even if more Indian students are attending Indian schools the quality of education and learning environment will decrease, hence this policy may backfire.

Also "Universal education" is not free it will cost tax payers heavily which will in fact may become a financial burden on the middle class depending on the tax amount and how the Indian government chooses to fund this policy (specifically through taxes)...

"
The Right to Free and Compulsory Education Bill will now guarantee 25 per cent of places in private schools are reserved for poor children, establish a three-year neighbourhood school-building programme, and end civil servants' discretion in deciding which children will be given places."

So what if 25% of places in private schools are reserved for poor children. It is a private school, does the Indian government actually regulate the policies of private school academic standards, tuition fees, and more? If so it's not so private is it...?

Also Indian families who have children working will have to deal with very little or no income coming into the home because their children are no longer working, so it will be really difficult for them to pay for other necessities...

It is a good idealist policy to pursue and it is done in good interest but just remember this "Universal Policy" comes with many harmful economic side effects.

P.S The article does not indicate for how long will the Indian government will subsidize children's education, in the West it's done normally K-12th grade (Public Schools). So what will India's policy be, I'm guessing only primary education 1st-5th grade. By the way how much money is the Indian government going to designate for this major "Universal Education" policy (annually)?

t's a positive step forward, but the problems that India will face by adopting such a policy "Universal education", will cause crowded classrooms and massive over population of schools with poor infrastructure. So even if more Indian students are attending Indian schools the quality of education and learning environment will decrease, hence this policy may backfire.
Obviously, nothing comes easy. There will never ever be a quick-fix solution, also this has come in atleast 15 years too late. I can live with overcrowded classrooms, but seeing these kids ruin their lives on railway platform is much much more heartbreaking.

Also "Universal education" is not free it will cost tax payers heavily which will in fact may become a financial burden on the middle class depending on the tax amount and how the Indian government chooses to fund this policy (specifically through taxes)...
What is the use of economic development, if it can not improve the lives of those living at the lowest strata of society. India is the lowest spender in education sector among the BRIC countries (as a percentage of course). This has to be seen as an investment rather than expenditure. These same kids with better education, will be far more productive in future and who knows, maybe we'll have lower tax rates once the tax net spreads wider...

So what if 25% of places in private schools are reserved for poor children. It is a private school, does the Indian government actually regulate the policies of private school academic standards, tuition fees, and more? If so it's not so private is it...?
The idea is that govt. will reimburse the fee to these private institutes.

Also Indian families who have children working will have to deal with very little or no income coming into the home because their children are no longer working, so it will be really difficult for them to pay for other necessities...
Child labour has been banned for years and if someone is doing it, it will be illegal. Thus the act will prevent them from participating in criminal activity.

It is a good idealist policy to pursue and it is done in good interest but just remember this "Universal Policy" comes with many harmful economic side effects.
We have to aim with a long term prospect rather than being myopic. Side effects will be temporary, benefits forever.

My only issue is the implementation part, on feasibility, I am all for making some short term sacrifices to ensure a better future. But how efficiently will it be implemented? I hope that sufficient checks are in place to prevent bogus enrolment and all the money ending up in pocket of a handful of govt. officials and school owners.

India will become a country with 100% Literacy one day........I have faith in mother India.

We are actually already paying taxes in form of "Education Cess" since fiscal year 2004-05 and till date. Initially it was 2% of your total income tax (not total income) and last year 1% was added to include the secondary and higher education category. The cess is applicable on corporation tax, excise and customs duties and service tax also. The entire amount is earmarked for education including provision of nutritious cooked mid-day meal.

I believe this should answer your question on how the Indian Government chooses to the fund this policy. There has been questions raised if the fund is being used effectively...nevertheless I have seen it working myself being a part time volunteer teacher for kids.

If the money is spend well out of my taxes as it being done mostly, I would rather bear the burden of 3% in education cess on my income tax than see poor kids malnourished, begging or being made in to child labor. My other middle class colleagues echo the same sentiments if not all.

If the money is spend well out of my taxes as it being done mostly, I would rather bear the burden of 3% in education cess on my income tax than see poor kids malnourished, begging or being made in to child labor. My other middle class colleagues echo the same sentiments if not all.

Yep, I'd rather spend my taxes on education than on Air India or other expensive PSU's.

It's a positive step forward, but the problems that India will face by adopting such a policy "Universal education", will cause crowded classrooms and massive over population of schools with poor infrastructure. So even if more Indian students are attending Indian schools the quality of education and learning environment will decrease, hence this policy may backfire.
More than 2000 Gov school teachers are going to face job loss in Kerala. This is because the number of students in schools across the State has come down as per prescribed in the Kerala Education Rules due to migration to CBSE and unaided schools. Teachers are busy in search of students to keep their job safe.:cheesy:

2,000 teachers in State face job loss
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The chances are that 2,000 odd teachers in the State would lose their jobs. This was because the number of students in schools across the State has come down by 3.1 lakh students.

The number of teachers losing jobs
will be restricted to 2,000 only if the Government like during previous academic years, issue an order temporarily fixing the teacher-student ratio at 1:40. However, the number of teachers losing jobs could go up to 6,000 if the Government insist on 1:45 ratio prescribed in the Kerala Education Rules (KER).

The data was revealed at the statistics collected through the single day verification held in Government and aided schools. The verification was held in schools across the State on July 14. As per the statistics, the total number of students in schools
which was around 45.46 lakh last year dropped to 42.36 lakh. The drop is attributed to migration to CBSE and unaided schools.

The number of teachers losing job will be restricted to 2,000 only if the Government like during previous academic years, issue order for temporarily fixing the teacher-student ratio at 1:40. However, the number will go up to 6,000 if they insist on 1:45 ration prescribed in the Kerala Education Rules (KER).

The verification was to cross-check the statistics collected from the school on the sixth working day. Decisions like staff fixation, sanctioning new divisions and new posts are based on the data compiled through the single day verification. Though the single day verification was normally conducted in a secret manner simultaneously in all the schools across the State, the news regarding the verification had been already been leaked to schools. As a result, some school managements in aided sector could make adequate precautions to cover up manipulations. The suspicion is that the news had been leaked through teachers organisations.

The number of teachers losing job will be restricted to 2,000 only if the Government like during previous academic years, issue order for temporarily fixing the teacher-student ratio at 1:40. However, the number will go up to 6,000 if they insist on 1:45 ration prescribed in the Kerala Education Rules (KER).

Excellent move.

But please remember that the E&D forum is exclusively Pakistani news now, save for the sticky's.

Moving to world affairs.

Not good enough. As A1Kaid said it should have been done till age 17 (K-12th grade). A 9th Std person is not going to get a job anywhere due to his "Education". A K-12 guy has atleast some chance at a clerical level.

Instead of paying money for unemployed people via useless schemes and Rs 2 Rice schemes which are really vote grabbing cheap tactics by the ruling party, it is better to invest in children for the future. Unfortunately children do not vote.

Further remember it is only a one time investment. A literate parent never allows his child to be a illiterate however poor he/she may be.

India will become a country with 100% Literacy one day........I have faith in mother India.

not saying that isnt a goal worthy of working towards...but 100%? with 1+ billion people ... not possible today or anytime in the next 100 years

not saying that isnt a goal worthy of working towards...but 100%? with 1+ billion people ... not possible today or anytime in the next 100 years

And you are so absolutely sure because....?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

New Delhi (PTI): Children would get the fundamental right to free and compulsory education with the passage of a bill, hailed as "historic", by Parliament on Tuesday.

The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Bill, 2008, seeks to provide education to children aged between 6 to 14 years.

The Bill, one of the flagship programmes in the 100-day agenda of the UPA government, also earmarks 25 per cent seats to weaker sections in private schools.

While the Rajya Sabha okayed the bill earlier, the Lok Sabha putting its seal of approval on Tuesday, with HRD Minister Kapil Sibal describing it as "harbinger of a new era" for children to meet the challenges of the 21st century.

He said the bill is a "historic opportunity" for providing better future to children of the country as there was never such a landmark legislation in the last 62 years since independence.

"We as a nation cannot afford our children not going to schools," he asserted, noting that the measure details the obligations of the Centre and the states for providing free and compulsory education to children.

The Hindu News Update Service

Back
Top Bottom