What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

I was there Earlier this year , in the month of Jan....decent progress.....when finished, the whole airport would look amazing....Btw Delhi airport campus is fucking huuuugggeee......infinite potential for greatness !!..

The IGI has a LOT of potential that will be realised:

Phase 1A (2008)- COMPLETED
-Modernization of existing terminals - 1A,1B,1C and T2
-New Departure terminal for low cost airlines - T1D
-Third Runway

Phase 1B (2010)- COMPLETED
-New Integrated Terminal - T3
-Metro connectivity through Airport Express Line

Phase 2 (2012)
-Additional remote stands near T3
-New central transportation corridor
-T1B to be razed - New terminal for general aviation and parking lot to come in place.

Phase 3 (2016)
-New international terminal - T4
-Expansion of T3 including piers
-Fourth Runway (11L/29R)
-New ATC tower

Phase 4 (2021)
-New Terminal -T5
-New pier for T5 and contact stands

Phase 5 (2026)
-New terminal for LCCs - T6
-Expansion of T3 and T4 piers and concourses
-Remote stands for T6
-New strengthened runway 09/27
-cargo facilities relocated North

2026 masterplan:
DSC00642.jpg

Given that land is scarce and expensive, why do Indian cities have so few high-rises and super-talls?

From what I can see from in this thread, there are too few high-rises under construction. Does India have any plans to boost high-rise construction to alleviate land scarcity?

^^
Sure.

But what are you talking about?

Skyscraper-city's India metropolitan cities pages are evidence of 1000's of high rises and dozens of super-talls coming up in and around major Indian cites of Mumbai MMR, Delhi NCR, Kolkatta, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Kochi, Pune, Surat and Ahmedabad that I know of.

Gr. Noida Skyline
---------------------------
http://www.google.ca/imgres?client=...nh=167&tbnw=288&start=43&ndsp=25&tx=117&ty=81

Inversely, I feel Indian high rise construction is in league with the major economies like US, EU, Japan and OZ if not more ;). up is definitely more high-rises are going up in major Indian city outskirts than Russia, South Africa, Turkey, Brazil or Indonesia however there is more land in said areas in India than those countries when one does a reasonable, city-by-city or region-by-region comparison.

^^
Sure.

But what are you talking about?

Skyscraper-city's India metropolitan cities pages are evidence of 1000's of high rises and dozens of super-talls coming up in and around major Indian cites of Mumbai MMR, Delhi NCR, Kolkatta, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Kochi, Pune, Surat and Ahmedabad that I know of.

Gr. Noida Skyline
---------------------------
Google Image Result for http://images01.olx.in/ui/1/41/68/1356338599_467173368_1-Pictures-of--331Sqft-Commercial-Shop-for-Sale-in-Plumeria-GardenOmicrown-3Greater-Noida.jpg

Inversely, I feel Indian high rise construction is in league with the major economies like US, EU, Japan and OZ if not more ;). up is definitely more high-rises are going up in major Indian city outskirts than Russia, South Africa, Turkey, Brazil or Indonesia however there is more land in said areas in India than those countries when one does a reasonable, city-by-city or region-by-region comparison.

Yo patentneer, wassup!!

Been a while since I replied. Anyway, I think I will have to disagree on some points here. First of all, construction quality is nowhere near what the west has, I do not know from where you got this idea. Sure, some iconic structures here and there do have the very best construction standards, some are even trendsetters such as the Palais Royale. Worst of all, they are so badly designed I would rather stare at a cockroach all day than to lay my eyes on these monstrosities. Case in point is the ugliness of Navi Mumbai which I hate to the core.

Secondly, by78 does have a point. The population density in India is far more than what it needs to be. That being said, land is quite scarce indeed. On top of that, there can be no higher sacrilege than the misuse and mismanagement of a scarce resource. Skyscrapers are the best bet for a growing population. However the only downside is that they require much better supporting infrastructure, which is in itself not a bad thing anyway (obviously). So in short:-

1) India does indeed have much fewer under construction as compared to other countries given our population. Chennai, with a population of 10 million should have a very high density of skyscrapers but it has virtually none and no big projects are U/C except a lot of low rise apartments.

2) Vast majorty of them are not constructed as per western standards

3) High-rise construction is stunted because of lack of supporting infrastructure.

Delhi Metro Rajiv Chowk Station

Indira Gandhi International airport,Delhi

Exterior of the Dhaula Kuan metro station in New Delhi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom