What's new

India could have developed cryogenic engine by 2000: Nambi Narayanan

sasi

Reaction score
SOURCE: THE HINDU
Former ISRO scientist Nambi Narayanan on Monday reiterated beforethe Kerala High Court that India could have developed a cryogenic engine by 2000 if indiscriminate arrests had not been made by Siby Mathews, former ADGP and head of the SIT of the Kerala Police which initially investigated theISROespionage case.
Mr. Narayanan and all others arraigned as accused in the case had been discharged on basisof a CBI report that the allegations were found to be false.
In a reply affidavit to an affidavit filed by Mr. Mathews in the High Court, Mr.Narayanan saidit was true that India had not been able to successfully launch a cryogenic engine till today, though recentlyISROhad attempted it. It could be seen from the case diary of the Kerala Police, as explained by the CBI in its refer report,that all those working on cryogenic engine development inISROand Russian scientists who supported India and the Russian private airline (Ural Aviation) had been made accused. Ural Aviation was the airline which brought Russian cryogenic engines and other relevant items to India for theISRO, he said.
Mr. Narayanan reiterated that Mr. Mathews had a definite plan that all persons working for development of cryogenicengine technology should be arrested to demoralisethem. That was the reason why he was arrested in November 1994 without conducting any search of his office or residence and also without seizure of any incriminating evidence from him.
He said he did not earlier raise the allegation that his arrest was part of an agenda of the U.S. accomplished by the CIA conniving with IntelligenceBureau officials, Mr. Mathews and other Keralapolice officials because herealised the agenda and criminal conspiracy only later when he himself investigated the entire episode once again.
Then he realised the fact that one Rattan Sehgal, who was the counter intelligence chief of the IB and was associated with theISROcase investigation, was caughtred-handed by the then IB chief Arun Bhagath.
He was accused of havingworked for the CIA, which led to his unceremonious exit from the IB in November 1996.
TheISROespionage case was investigated by a team of seven senior IPS officers of the CBI. These officers individually and collectively conducted theinvestigation /interrogation and filed the final report of the CBI,against the Kerala police officials and Intelligence Bureau officers who investigated the case.
ISRO case scuttled cryogenic engine development, says former scientist | idrw.org
India could have developed cryogenic engine by 2000: Nambi | Business Line

A s usual foolish indians siding with US looking for short term gains........this is an eye opener

We will never get unsc.........at least with a veto power

it serves no purpose without that

"I always had faith in the Indian judiciary, and my trust was vindicated repeatedly," says S Nambi Narayanan, 57. His quest for justice has now led him to suethe Kerala government and police for ten million rupees for having tortured him mentally and physically, held him in prison and ruined his reputation by implicating him in the Mariam Rasheeda spy scandal four years ago, when he was deputy director of the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre at Valiamala in Kerala.
After spending more than quarter century with the ISRO in Kerala, and participating in the setting up of two of its most important centres -- the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centreat Trivandrum and the LPSC atValiamala -- Nambi is waiting out the last three years of his tenure in an unexciting job at Bangalore. He is now director, Advanced Technology and Planning, at Antariksh Bhavan, the ISRO headquarters in Bangalore.
"Until all that trouble blew up, I was very happy with my life and work in Kerala," says Nambi, as his friends affectionately call him. (He wasthen project director of the prestigious cryogenic system project and was working on developing an Indian cryoengine for the third stage of the GSLV). "After that, I wasglad to leave Kerala, at least until all the loose talk blew over. ISRO had suspended me for a while when I was arrested. But they vindicated me after conducting a detailed enquiry and reinstated me. My organisation has been most supportive of me throughout: I just wish everyone else had been so considerate. This entire episode has been a shock for my whole family: it put us all into terrific financial,social and health problems."
It was this "loose talk" that he says finally motivated him to file this case, so that the men he regards as his torturers will finally be unequivocally declared wrong. "The respondents have not so far made any open declaration admitting their guilt," says thepetition.
Nambi has not hesitated to listthe various kinds of damage that he believes the Kerala government has caused him, and has quoted a figure against each head:
*.Arrest and detention in prison : Rs 1 million
*.Physical and mental torture: Rs 1.5 million
*.Loss of reputation: Rs 1.5 million
*.Re-registration of a false case: Rs 1 million
And so on, the sum total adds up to Rs 10 million. The people he has named in his petition include Sibi Mathew, Crime Branch IG in Trivandrum, Mathew John and R B Sreekumar, both IB joint directors at Delhi.
Nambi directly accuses Sibi Mathew, in his petition, of trying to "achieve something for his personal glory" by implicating him in the case even after finding out that he was not connected with it.
Nambi, another ISRO scientist D Sasikumaran (now posted atAhmedabad), labour contractorD K Sharma and businessman K Chandrashekar, both from Bangalore, were all arrested on charges of helping Maldivian Mariam Rasheeda and her friend Fouzia Hassan to try and smuggle some space secrets and blueprint plans out of the country.)
He also accuses Sibi, Mathew John and Sreekumar of instigating some other unidentified police officers to physically assault him at the Hindustan Latex guesthouse in Trivandrum in early December 1994, call him a bastard and a traitor, and try to get him to implicate Dr A E Muthunayakom, then director of LPSC, in a treason case. Nambi claims that the police officers told him that they would then make Muthunayakom implicate then ISRO chairman U R Rao himself in the case. Nambi says he refused to oblige, even though he knew that would lead to more torture, which henow claims it did. He says that he eventually fainted becauseof all the torture, and was treated by a Dr Sukumaran of Sree Krishna hospital, at the guesthouse itself.
Nambi was subsequently released after spending about 50 days in custody, some of them at Malligai, the famous interrogation centre on Greenways Road in Madras, where he was repeatedly questioned by the CBI. He was eventually let out on bail in mid-January. The CBI subsequently filed a case clearing Nambi and the others.
Meanwhile, he says, Sen and Sibi also gave "false information" to "various newspapers," who went on to describe him as a "traitor of this country." All this led to the general public viewing him as "a spy of some foreign country and a traitor." Consequently, "the inmates of the family were not able to face the public and their future has been marred." He says the CBI "also recommended to the central government to initiate action against the officials of the IB and others who acted illegally in cooking up the case." But this was, of course, never done.
The Rediff On The NeT Special: ISRO scientist seeks damages to end 'loose talk'

UNSC is not a short term gain.

This has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with the UNSC, buster.
It has all to do with some people who sold themselves for a few shekels. Learn to see the difference. Also take a re-look at the Capt. B.Subbarao case, you'll understand what I mean.

And somehow I have doubt on GSLV having leaks in last two attempts. Its good we found it early this time.

Man we pissed of russians in this case i guess.......otherwise we would have got cryogenic help then only
Now russia refuses to help us in cryogenic tech,,,,,very sad development

Would usa even offer us this??
never

This has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with the UNSC, buster.
It has all to do with some people who sold themselves for a few shekels. Learn to see the difference. Also take a re-look at the Capt. B.Subbarao case, you'll understand what I mean.

All this just reinforces my opinion that US can't be trusted ...and can't be anybody's friend !

Hope South block will maintain some distance ....even as it gets cosy with US !

All this just reinforces my opinion that US can't be trusted ...and can't be anybody's friend !

Hope South block will maintain some distance ....even as it gets cosy with US !

They have and they will. See how the US is still having to wait to get part of the Nuclear Business cake even now.
We have a living example of a country in the neighborhood that has had to continously perform like a Circus Animal to keep Uncle Sam amused. :D

Back
Top Bottom