What's new

India Cancels Deal for Six Airbus Tankers

We have Airbus and Russian option. What about American option? What US may offer after seeing the cancellation?

@PARIKRAMA
Under FMS we can look for KC767 deal but its smaller. or we may look at KC 46 as well which offers a bit more fuel load but we might have to wait for some time and will incur more costs

And secondly we should buy with an eye into future for commonality of platforms across different missions.

If our end usage is
  1. Tanker
  2. Medium lift transporter
  3. Awacs
  4. other multi roles
Then it makes sense to pool the numbers together and chose the platform wisely.

If DM MP follows Rafale model then there is a chance that a G2G order of 2-3 AARs would happen and rest numbers in high 20s for different mission config should happen by a tender with a much higher percentage of offset under DPP 2016.

In another significant development, the MoD by mid-June had been convinced by Rosoboronexport State Corp that the total life-cycle costs of a fleet of 12 IL-78MKI-90 aerial refuelling tankers and 18 upgraded and refurbished IL-76MD-90 transport aircraft will be far less than those of 10 Airbus A330-220 multi-role tanker transports (MRTT), in addition to ensuring quicker deliveries.

Consequently, the MoD has now scrapped plans for procuring the 10 A330-220 MRTTs, and instead, by this October is expected to ink a contract with Rosoboronexport under which the IAF’s existing six IL-78MKI aerial refuelling tankers will be upgraded and refurbished to IL-78MKI-90 MRTT standard, another six of the IAF’s existing IL-76MD transport aircraft will be converted into IL-78MKI-90 MRTTs, while the remaining 18 IL-76MDs will be upgraded to IL-76MD-90 standard.

The upgrade component will include re-engining with PS-90A turbofans, and incorporation of glass cockpit avionics.

The entire upgrade/refurbishment work will be undertaken by CJSC ‘Aviastar-SP (Ulyanovsk Aviation Industrial Complex), located on the left bank of Volga River in Russia’s Ulyanovsk region.

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/2016/07/manohar-parrikar-made-to-bite-bullet_31.html

In another significant development, the MoD by mid-June had been convinced by Rosoboronexport State Corp that the total life-cycle costs of a fleet of 12 IL-78MKI-90 aerial refuelling tankers and 18 upgraded and refurbished IL-76MD-90 transport aircraft will be far less than those of 10 Airbus A330-220 multi-role tanker transports (MRTT), in addition to ensuring quicker deliveries.

Consequently, the MoD has now scrapped plans for procuring the 10 A330-220 MRTTs, and instead, by this October is expected to ink a contract with Rosoboronexport under which the IAF’s existing six IL-78MKI aerial refuelling tankers will be upgraded and refurbished to IL-78MKI-90 MRTT standard, another six of the IAF’s existing IL-76MD transport aircraft will be converted into IL-78MKI-90 MRTTs, while the remaining 18 IL-76MDs will be upgraded to IL-76MD-90 standard.

The upgrade component will include re-engining with PS-90A turbofans, and incorporation of glass cockpit avionics.

The entire upgrade/refurbishment work will be undertaken by CJSC ‘Aviastar-SP (Ulyanovsk Aviation Industrial Complex), located on the left bank of Volga River in Russia’s Ulyanovsk region.

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/2016/07/manohar-parrikar-made-to-bite-bullet_31.html

" And so, from hour to hour, we ripe and ripe,
And then, from hour to hour, we rot and rot;
And thereby hangs a tale." :- As You Like It.

I actually knew nothing about it ,though this beauty had stopped production after the 2009 decision .... but here we are , they fitted a broad body airliner to a tanker.... and what's more , 2 Are on order by Russian Ministry of Defence.

Little research tells its range to be near 3500km, and its transport capability of upto 65 tons.... much greater than the Il76/78 family.

If offered , this would be a very serious competition for Airbus.
im suprised you forgot about it.
but i think upgraded ll-76/78 would be prefered with ps-90 engines

Where is the smart arse who was dislocating his shoulder blade congratulating the new government on the huge improvement over the previous one?

You want to hear praises for the old govt or looking for a comparative analysis. But I guess uve made your conclusion as shown in your dissident?

Not sure about how tryign to create a common cost core and the definition of "genius" is worth thumping about when this approach is the norm throughout the world since the early 90's.
Countries with much more minuscule budgets do this without the aforementioned genius(which is usually taken at an IQ of 140+, unless the measure in India is different).

Not to mention that almost all other purchases India does provide ZERO proof for any of this "genius" at work in terms of logistical commonality and streamlining.

In short, I'd disagree with that statement.
You sir , missed my sarcasm and effort to add humor.. I failed in my attempt and i admit that.. I said in another post (in just phor phun thread) that logic and common sense when it comes to defence procurement is like a photo where a pilot in jet shows a thumbs up from 4000 ft above in air and Sunny Deol sees it from the ground and returns the greeting...

You want to hear praises for the old govt or looking for a comparative analysis. But I guess uve made your conclusion as shown in your dissident?

Dissent.

Beyond that correction, I have nothing to say to you.

NEW DELHI: India is now planning "a direct strategic purchase" of six flight refuelling aircraft (FRA) or tankers to enhance the reach of its fighter jets, bombers and surveillance aircraft after the bid to acquire them through global tenders failed twice over the last decade.

Consequently, the defence ministry (MoD)+ has scrapped the proposed Rs 9,000 crore contract for acquisition of six Airbus-330 MRTT (multi-role tanker transport) aircraft, which was hanging fire for several years due to high costs as well as old CBI cases and change in the manufacturer's name from EADS Cassidian to Airbus Group.

"Airbus was told towards end-June that the RFP (request for proposal or tender), under which the A-330 MRTT was selected as L-1 (lowest bidder), has been withdrawn. A decision will now be taken for direct acquisition of FRA, a criticaloperational necessity for IAF+ ," said a top MoD source.

Interestingly, the NDA government cited IAF's "critical operational necessity" as well as the need to cut time and costs to go in for the direct acquisition of 36 Rafale fighters in a government-to-government deal announced during the Modi-Hollande summit in Paris in April last year.

Simultaneously, it had scrapped the original $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to acquire 126 Rafale jets, the commercial negotiations for which were deadlocked after the French fighter's selection over Eurofighter Typhoon, American F/A-18 and F-16, Swedish Gripen and Russian MiG-35.

It was in 2006 that IAF had first asked for acquisition of six more tankers after inducting six Ilyushin-78 mid-air refuelling aircraft in 2003-2004. While the IL-78s are based at Agra to support operations against Pakistan, the six new tankers were meant for Panagarh (West Bengal) to take care of China.
As was earlier reported by TOI, the two-engine A-330 MRTT was twice selected over the four-engine Russian IL-78 in technical and commercial evaluation over the last decade. But there were "concerns" over the life cycle cost (LCC) methodology used in selecting A-330 MRTT over the IL-78. The LCC basically identifies "total cost of ownership" of an aircraft or other equipment through its entire operational life of 25-30 years.

"With oil prices drastically dropping, Russia was contesting the LCC model used to select A-330 MRTT over the IL-78 (guzzles more fuel with four engines but cheaper off-the-shelf). There were finance ministry's objections and other problems," said a source.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-refuelling-aircraft/articleshow/53471222.cms

better ask HAL and DRDO to make an indigenous tanker which they will complete by 2050 !

You sir , missed my sarcasm and effort to add humor.. I failed in my attempt and i admit that.. I said in another post (in just phor phun thread) that logic and common sense when it comes to defence procurement is like a photo where a pilot in jet shows a thumbs up from 4000 ft above in air and Sunny Deol sees it from the ground and returns the greeting...
Sadly, it was a bad attempt at sarcasm and I was worse at figuring it because you sounded quite genuine in justifying what is a procurement horror.

thats amonster aircraft

Back
Top Bottom