India Cancels Deal for Six Airbus Tankers

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
636054096188814834-india-aircraft.jpg

HO, AFP

In this undated handout picture, released on October 14, 2009, an Indian Air more

NEW DELHI — India has withdrawn the tender for a much-awaited contract for the purchase of six multi-role tanker transport (MRTT) aircraft with Airbus Defence and Space, worth more than $1 billion, on grounds of the planes’ high operational cost.

This is the second MRTT aircraft global tender to be cancelled by the ministry of defense since 2006.

"We have [recently] cancelled the MRTT deal with Airbus because platforms are too expensive and not economically viable to operate", said an MoD official who declined to be identified.

"We have examined this deal very carefully and the [budgetary] approval has been rejected thrice by the Indian finance ministry," the MoD official said.

"This is indeed a setback to us, as we want the MRTT aircraft desperately, and a fresh [global] procurement will take at least five more years", said a senior air force official said who requested anonymity.

The A330 MRTT came out on top of a Russian offering twice in the technical evaluation and, according to the air service, would have proven comparatively economical to operate over its lifespan.

Airbus Defence and Space executives here were unavailable for comments.

Another MoD official said the ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government intends to bring transparency and avoid controversy in all [defense] procurements.

636052160415767361-p8poseidon.jpg

• DEFENSE NEWS

India Awards $1 Billion Contract to Boeing for Four P-8I Aircraft

The defense ministry selected the Airbus A330 platforms over the Russian Ilyushin IL-78 aircraft in July 2012 to be operated by the Indian air force for the next 25 years.

The air branch wants modern MRTT aircraft very badly to increase the range of the current fleet of Sukhoi SU-30MKI multirole fighters.

In response to a July 2010 global tender, only Airbus Defence and Space and Ilyushin Design Bureau of Russia qualified the bids, as Antonov Design Bureau of Ukraine was technically rejected and Boeing and Lockheed
    Martin did not participate in the bids.

Currently the air force operates six obsolete IL-78 tanker aircraft bought from Uzbekistan over two decades ago.

"The Indian government has struggled to make purchases through the open tender mechanism and is increasingly relying on the government-to-government route to meet the needs of the armed forces," independent defense analyst Nitin Mehta said.

"The Airbus A330 MRTT acquisition is a case in point where twice the bidder was technically selected, declared lowest bidder (L-1), and each time the government has withdrawn in the process," Mehta added.

636054096188814834-india-aircraft.jpg

HO, AFP

In this undated handout picture, released on October 14, 2009, an Indian Air more

NEW DELHI — India has withdrawn the tender for a much-awaited contract for the purchase of six multi-role tanker transport (MRTT) aircraft with Airbus Defence and Space, worth more than $1 billion, on grounds of the planes’ high operational cost.

This is the second MRTT aircraft global tender to be cancelled by the ministry of defense since 2006.

"We have [recently] cancelled the MRTT deal with Airbus because platforms are too expensive and not economically viable to operate", said an MoD official who declined to be identified.

"We have examined this deal very carefully and the [budgetary] approval has been rejected thrice by the Indian finance ministry," the MoD official said.

"This is indeed a setback to us, as we want the MRTT aircraft desperately, and a fresh [global] procurement will take at least five more years", said a senior air force official said who requested anonymity.

The A330 MRTT came out on top of a Russian offering twice in the technical evaluation and, according to the air service, would have proven comparatively economical to operate over its lifespan.

Airbus Defence and Space executives here were unavailable for comments.

Another MoD official said the ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government intends to bring transparency and avoid controversy in all [defense] procurements.

636052160415767361-p8poseidon.jpg

• DEFENSE NEWS

India Awards $1 Billion Contract to Boeing for Four P-8I Aircraft

The defense ministry selected the Airbus A330 platforms over the Russian Ilyushin IL-78 aircraft in July 2012 to be operated by the Indian air force for the next 25 years.

The air branch wants modern MRTT aircraft very badly to increase the range of the current fleet of Sukhoi SU-30MKI multirole fighters.

In response to a July 2010 global tender, only Airbus Defence and Space and Ilyushin Design Bureau of Russia qualified the bids, as Antonov Design Bureau of Ukraine was technically rejected and Boeing and Lockheed
    Martin did not participate in the bids.

Currently the air force operates six obsolete IL-78 tanker aircraft bought from Uzbekistan over two decades ago.

"The Indian government has struggled to make purchases through the open tender mechanism and is increasingly relying on the government-to-government route to meet the needs of the armed forces," independent defense analyst Nitin Mehta said.

"The Airbus A330 MRTT acquisition is a case in point where twice the bidder was technically selected, declared lowest bidder (L-1), and each time the government has withdrawn in the process," Mehta added.
Its Not Deal Its Tender of RFI Another Smart Move By DM MP

http://www.janes.com/article/62543/indian-defence-ministry-scraps-mrtt-tender-for-second-time

They first cancelled the Congress Govt's approved Rafale deal but then went ahead with almost same but in the long run expensive deal with intention of acquisition of 36 Rafales and with option of many more. This deal of MRTT was also floated by then Congress led govt but BJP cancelled it. I would not be surprised if same govt inks deal with Airbus for same MRTT tankers at some point in near future. Thats how politicians serve their interests all over the world.

Soon sellers will lose confidence in indian tenders and stop quoting as they will learn India is using it only to make them work on the R/D and pass on valuable competitive information..this is typical indian attitude in all purchase..and that is why even me on an individual level stop quoting to Indian purchases when they keep raising RFQ without orders.

The buzz is that there will be a combined procurement of 6+6 = 12 and 12 more options for a new tender.
The tender usage will be
  • MRTT
  • Hosting Phalcon Awacs
Contenders are
  • IL76/78MKI
  • A330 platform
Both of these are looked at with special focus on
  • Operational uptime/ Availability rate
  • Localisation of Spares
  • Meeting DPP 2016 under which offsets needs to be defined where they will invest
Challenge seen is
  • Wishing for commonality
  • Cheaper maintenance
  • Spare localisation and availability
  • Better bargaining power and reduced costs upfront and LCC via spare localisations like points
  • Competition would be tough surely but for this combined need will make both bid and we get a situation away from single bid

Talk about Indians being genius.. :woot: we find solutions to all complex problems with cunning street smart ways :wave:

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/dassault...ssions-thread-2.351407/page-288#ixzz4FtGmcd2v

Where is the smart arse who was dislocating his shoulder blade congratulating the new government on the huge improvement over the previous one?
my support to any govt is purely on the basis of work .. some minister and their dept : railway, Coal, External Affair, Energy , highway etc are doing excellent work .. but the DM and MOD is turning into absolute disappointment.

Its very clear that MOD is currently run by inept but overfed Bureaucrats with single agenda of doing nothing. The minister is in deep in love with his own smartness and image. Time to pack him back to goa .

The buzz is that there will be a combined procurement of 6+6 = 12 and 12 more options for a new tender.
The tender usage will be
  • MRTT
  • Hosting Phalcon Awacs
Contenders are
  • IL76/78MKI
  • A330 platform
Both of these are looked at with special focus on
  • Operational uptime/ Availability rate
  • Localisation of Spares
  • Meeting DPP 2016 under which offsets needs to be defined where they will invest
Challenge seen is
  • Wishing for commonality
  • Cheaper maintenance
  • Spare localisation and availability
  • Better bargaining power and reduced costs upfront and LCC via spare localisations like points
  • Competition would be tough surely but for this combined need will make both bid and we get a situation away from single bid

Talk about Indians being genius.. :woot: we find solutions to all complex problems with cunning street smart ways :wave:

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/dassault...ssions-thread-2.351407/page-288#ixzz4FtGmcd2v
problem is we are falling into love with this so call smart image of our own and result is an unending loop be it rafale fighter or Tender for Tanker. so tell me sir how many decades more required before our lords will decide to finally seal the deal.

smart by *** .. how many years we have tow wait for this comedy to ends. for last 10 years its going on.

my support to any govt is purely on the basis of work .. some minister and their dept : railway, Coal, External Affair, Energy , highway etc are doing excellent work .. but the DM and MOD is turning into absolute disappointment.

Its very clear that MOD is currently run by inept but overfed Bureaucrats with single agenda of doing nothing. The minister is in deep in love with his own smartness and image. Time to pack him back to goa .

problem is we are falling into love with this so call smart image of our own and result is an unending loop be it rafale fighter or Tender for Tanker.

@punit

You have NO IDEA how the MOD is organised; if you did, you would burst a blood vessel that very moment. Study it, please, but be prepared for a horror movie. It is far, far worse than anyone can imagine.

And not External Affairs, and not Energy; Highways, maybe. You forgot (it's hurting me to say this, but that's the truth) Alternative Energy.

@punit

You have NO IDEA how the MOD is organised; if you did, you would burst a blood vessel that very moment. Study it, please, but be prepared for a horror movie. It is far, far worse than anyone can imagine.

And not External Affairs, and not Energy; Highways, maybe. You forgot (it's hurting me to say this, but that's the truth) Alternative Energy.
Either that or will thrash the nearest person who is even remotely related with MOD!!!
Energy ministry is doing good specially in the field of Rural Electrification. MOD and Home Ministry run by totally inept Rajnath Singh is turning into horror show.

Either that or will thrash the nearest person who is even remotely related with MOD!!!
Energy ministry is doing good specially in the field of Rural Electrification. MOD and Home Ministry run by totally inept Rajnath Singh is turning into horror show.

Actually, I don't want to read this thread. It's too depressing.

Actually, I don't want to read this thread. It's too depressing.
its extremely difficult but i will avoid any thread dealing with defense procurement. dogs are running MOD.

I mean a complete rascal like Mulayam Singh Yadav was much better DM than these bastards. if left tho these babus and DM even Sukhoi purchase was not possible .

its extremely difficult but i will avoid any thread dealing with defense procurement. dogs are running MOD.

I mean a complete rascal like Mulayam Singh Yadav was much better DM than these bastards. if left tho these babus and DM even Sukhoi purchase was not possible .

No, please. Don't even think that. Did you know that he wanted a Yadav quota in recruitment?

smart by *** .. how many years we have tow wait for this comedy to ends. for last 10 years its going on.
They Are Not Fools

accomplishments-page-007-jpg.321480

Now Calculate It In Billion $ I Don't buy your Naive views or Amatuer Perspective
What is your Profession

Back
Top Bottom