What's new

India and Vietnam to sign a defence pact amid China’s growing aggression in region

are you planning to export Talwar class frigate ?

On other note, I dont think Vietnam can afford a $200-$300 mn new frigate.

I think for that we can donate old one, like Godavari Class. They already going to out of commission. after the commissioning of first P17A.

just asking, so which frigate are you planning to export ?

Bro, we are not till now exporting anything. I am just suggesting.

Maybe the frigate on the structure of Kamotra Class. And one thing the contracts should go private, no govt. shipyard involvement.

INS_Kamorta_%283%29.JPG

Last edited:

I think for that we can donate old one, like Godavari Class. They already going to out of commission. after the commissioning of first P17A.

Maybe the frigate on the structure of Kamotra Class. And one thing the contracts should go private, no govt. shipyard involvement.

INS_Kamorta_%283%29.JPG
there was interest event took place few months ago, Indian defence high ranking personnel visited Bangladeshi privately owned western marine shipyard, is there any possibility to get Indian defence project contact for Bangladeshi company ? it will be low cost for you for sure

Brahmos is another weapon, India and Vietnam are discussing at the moment.

there was interest event took place few months ago, Indian defence high ranking personnel visited Bangladeshi privately owned western marine shipyard, is there any possibility to get Indian defence project contact for Bangladeshi company ? it will be low cost for you for sure

Yup why not, but I dont think they go in critical area. Like importing jeeps, vehicle etc.

Brahmos is another weapon, India and Vietnam are discussing at the moment.

We should try to reverse engineer and make one for export. Even if its precision or range is less, but then that would be total indigenous.

INS_Kamorta_%283%29.JPG

Kamorta Class is designated "Corvette" under Indian standards if I am not wrong. BTW, I don't understand why we build OPVs with 6000 NM range having a displacement larger than frigates operated by many smaller navies, while our new ASW corvettes have a range of 3,500 NM. Should not it be the other way round (range)?

Kamorta Class is designated "Corvette" under Indian standards if I am not wrong.
"Indian Standards"- Thats main thing. BTW, yes, thats corvette .

But we can redesign the ship, and can export as Frigate to foreign countries.

Kamorta Class is designated "Corvette" under Indian standards if I am not wrong. BTW, I don't understand why we build OPVs with 6000 NM range having a displacement larger than frigates operated by many smaller navies, while our new ASW corvettes have a range of 3,500 NM. Should not it be the other way round (range)?

You talking about Saryu OPV?

Last edited:
"Indian Standards"- Thats main thing. BTW, yes, thats corvette .

But we can redesign the ship, and can export as Frigate to foreign countries.

You talking about Saryu OPV?

Yes I am talking about the Saryu class. BTW, this ship might be a good alternative for countries which have been contemplating to purchase "basic" 056 class. True Stealth Ship, more displacement, greater range, greater operational flexibility.

Yes I am talking about the Saryu class. BTW, this ship might be a good alternative for countries which have been contemplating to purchase "basic" 056 class. True Stealth Ship, more displacement, greater range, greater operational flexibility.

Thats fine, but if that it is in other navy, like Iran Navy, they calling it as Frigate or Destroyer.

Sure buddy....Vietnam, Japan, SK, ec have great intel penetration in China (with the use of Humint)....Chinese men are easy prey for honey traps haha.....

Honey trap? that's how we spead our gene and our civilization thoughout these countries :lol:

What kind of Weapons will India possibly export to Vietnam which are 100% Indian?

The whole range of missiles except BrahMos.

Advanced Prithvi versions (if they want to replace their SCUDs), Prahaar, Shaurya (if they want some advanced quasi-ballistic systems), we can even share some tech of our earlier Agni-series missiles, if at all they're looking to develop a ballistic missile
program of their own. Since neither of us are part of NPT or ratified MTCR, there are no restrictions even with regard to
range or tech. And we can sell Pinaka 214mm MBRLs, Akash SAMs, lots of comms equipment, avionics for their fighters, many types of trucks, and other logistics vehicles from private companies, etc. etc.

Plus we can give them sonars & combat management systems for their ships (we already sold sonars for Myanmar)...it's much better than the ones they operate now. We can modify their Su-30MKs to carry large missiles like BrahMos (although the missile itself will be partly Russian). And oh yes, we can give them the whole range of ground-based radar systems, including some PESA and AESA technologies, both to support artillery/missile strikes as well as for air surveillance - it'll be a massive upgrade from their present radar capabilities.

We can even help them design their own ships with some new-generation features...our Directorate of Naval Design (DND) has ample experience in this field.

I'm sure I haven't covered everything...but as far as "100% Indian" goes, there's plenty we can give that they can find useful. Although end of the day it depends on what they actually need, and how much they're ready to pay. By the way, what foolish, imagiery criteria does "100% Indian" actually fill except someone's ego?

Even the "Chinese" Type-056 corvettes sold to Bangladesh come with French engines. So what? The corvette is not Chinese? You guys seriously need to lighten up.

India cannot export any weapons which are not 100% Indian due to technology in those weapons if they come from non-India sources.

Lol, what a joke. We can sell anything fair and square so long as the other tech providers don't raise any serious concerns, and why should they? If they're getting a piece of the pie? And especially when our interests don't differ much from those of our closest defence providers.

Such as the Brahmos Missile which has components from Russia.

So what? Russia already sells lots of weapons to Vietnam. So why would Russia
raise concerns? If one BrahMos missile costs $3 million, India will get 50.5% share and Russia gets 49.5% share in the
money - exactly as per the shares held by each country in the BrahMos Aerospace JV which created & produces the missile.

It's mutual benefit.

And not only that, Vietnam-China have a rivalry and Russia sells large numbers of Weaponry to China and so Russia will be opposed to India selling Russian weaponry to Vietnam.

Thanks for your expert opinion on international politics but Russia already sells large numbers of weapons to Vietnam,
including Sukhois and deadly S-300 missiles.

So what are some truly indigenous 100% Indian Weapon Platforms which are export worthy to Vietnam?

While I have already answered your query in another post, I must inform you again that you are clutching to straws.

Take the example of Type-056 corvettes sold by China to Bangladesh...they have French SEMT Pielstick engines, so
what's the problem? Did they get in the way of the sale?

Russia is already a major defence supplier to Vietnam and the US has recently opened up to Vietnam (which means all other Western countries fall in line, too), India has freedom to export any platform with either Russian or US/Western components in it, so long as Vietnam actually needs it and is ready to pay for it in one way or the other.

Last edited:
What you think about air-defense on this ships? Barak 8?

Barak-8? No way, there is no info about in-built air defence, but if they request it, we may possibly add a system of their choice.

Anyway, MANPADS can still be carried by the crew.

May be the Vietnam should go for 3500 tonne frigate instead of Corvette.

Vietnam has no need for such large vessels...what they need are small, light, fast ships that pack a mean punch.

And give this contract to private shipyard like L&T or Pipavav.

Infact L&T already has the capability to design and build anything from OPVs to Frigates...they produced a
demo design some time back, it can be a potential export for Vietnam, other SE Asian navies, or West African/South
American navies in future. But as now it's difficult to draw a conclusion what these countries' future needs maybe...

The L&T demo design -
complete%20naval%20vessels_1.jpg

^^ This can easily carry 8 x box-launched cruise missiles (I think VLS for cruise missiles are unnecessary for export)
and atleast a 16 or 32-cell vertical launch SAMs, either Barak-1 or 9M317ME, customer's choice.

It may have 8 cells of UVLS, that include klub missile and Barak 8, or in future it can be replaced with Brahmos for anti-ship role.

If it is BrahMos, it will have to be the Mini version of BrahMos, the large 3 ton version is an overkill for most potential export
navies, especially if talking about ship-launched role.

BTW, @Gessler what you think about selling Akash SAM and 5-6 Battery of Prahaar?

It's possible, Akash can replace their older Buk missiles while Prahaar offers a solution for massed fire assaults to support
infantry movement. But as I said to a frustrated Pakistani member before, it depends on what Vietnam actually needs.

Furthermore, we need to make a clear list of products that we are ready to export, along with any perks or soft loan offers, so that the customers can fall in line more quickly.

ok almost same as Type056corvette whose primary role is anti-submarine warfare, but post says it cost 452million USD for 4 to Nigeria

Those are the heavier 2300 ton OPVs.

Why not? Earlier we gave a contract to Solas Marine of Sri Lanka for 80 Fast Interceptor Crafts (FIC), it's a
big help for their industry. Bangladesh can get a similar contract that can help your shipyards grow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom