What's new

India airlifts military hospital to Tajikistan

I Guess you don't know that stationed Russian Jets in Ayani Airbase is on lease by India and India Have Mi-17 helis already stationed their ..... and a RAW wing

Check again if you have any jets stationed at the Ayni either leased from the Russians or from IAF's squadrons :)

Check again if you have any jets stationed at the Ayni either leased from the Russians or from IAF's squadrons :)

India inked an agreement with Tajikistan in 2007 enabling its IAF to establish itself at Ayani airbase near Dushanbe and Farkhor airbase close to northern Afghanistan border. It has parked Mi-17 attack helicopters at Ayani base and has also leased Russian jets, already stationed at the base. and Now Some say they have seen C-130j even their with IAF roundel

@silent poison

Would it be too much to ask for a source ? Because I have many which actually say the opposite about Russian reluctance to allow Indians in Tajikistan , Kremlin's growing engagement with Pakistan further complicates the issue for you now ...

The Russian “Net” has prevailed that was reflected in an on-record statement by Tajik foreign minister Hamrohan Zarifi in January 2011 who ruled out deployment of Indian or American forces at Ayni

Mig-31 is an interceptor for you knowledge , if you are referring to the Russian base in Tajikistan , that is understandable ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Who said we have 29s in Ayni? Our 29s are stationed in Farkhor. Why are people confusing the two, Russia is currently stonewalling any presence of Indian armed forces in Ayni beyond a few personnel and support infrastructure like this field hospital- they are NOT cool with us having two operation airbases there and they are unlikely to budge- unless someone wants to pry apart the bear's jaw!

@silent poison

Would it be too much to ask for a source ? Because I have many which actually say the opposite about Russian reluctance to allow Indians in Tajikistan , Kremlin's growing engagement with Pakistan further complicates the issue for you now ...

The Russian “Net” has prevailed that was reflected in an on-record statement by Tajik foreign minister Hamrohan Zarifi in January 2011 who ruled out deployment of Indian or American forces at Ayni

Mig-31 is an interceptor for you knowledge , if you are referring to the Russian base in Tajikistan , that is understandable ...

I edited that Mig-31 point i m not sure about that before you posted your comment but anyway not exact link but their is one
Indian ambitions in Afghanistan and beyond

Trying to find the Contents related to that agreement if i found something useful i will post

Who said we have 29s in Ayni? Our 29s are stationed in Farkhor.

Russia is currently stonewalling any presence of Indian armed forces in Ayni beyond a few personnel and support infrastructure like this field hospital
@Dillinger Can anyone keep such a big thing secret specially when a remote foreign territory with which India shares no common boundary and expensive logistics are involved which would mean that the Russians are de facto managing the base , providing the aircrafts on lease , not Indians since the supplies come from there and New Dehli pays for it ?

The issue is very much complicated , mate ... Tajikistan is always eager to offer bases to nations but after doing the risk assessments , do you think they would allow an attack from there knowing that may invite full retaliation ? Also , I am quite sure that you would be aware of the warming up of Pakistan-Russia ties lately ... As we speak , the Russian Airforce Chief is on a visit to Chaklala Airbase ...

@Dillinger Can anyone keep such a big thing secret specially when a remote foreign territory with which India shares no common boundary and expensive logistics are involved which would mean that the Russians are de facto managing the base , providing the aircrafts on lease , not Indians since the supplies come from there and New Dehli pays for it ?

The issue is very much complicated , mate ... Tajikistan is always eager to offer bases to nations but after doing the risk assessments , do you think they would allow an attack from there knowing that may invite full retaliation ?

Ummm. dunno what you're asking. The simple answer would be- Ayni doesn't have any Indian fighter aircrafts and is will NOT be having any since the Russians don't want us to...Tajiks might offer bases to a lot of countries but they are still dependent on Russian more than any country. We were allowed to station fighters in Farkhor because Russia is cool with that..NOT in Ayni because Russia is NOT cool with that. The Russians may be OK with one base full of fighters but they are NOT going to let us expand our footprint in their backyard..that's just plain common sense.

As I said- simple answer, no fighters in Ayni and yes fighters in Farkhor. And for those who want to get Ayni "operational"- best of luck and over Russia's dead body. Ain't gonna happen unless something BIG happens and that something BIG ain't happening.

@Secur Not to mention, Farkhor has its essential infra at place and in those terms is self sufficient BUT its not as if we are airlifting essentials/foods/habitables/and other sundry perishable logistics to them. Those come from Tajik which pretty much means they come from Russia. We are there due to the good will earned from Tajik AND more importantly because the Russians don't mind atm. If the latter changes and then we're out.

Ummm. dunno what you're asking. The simple answer would be- Ayni doesn't have any Indian fighter aircrafts and is will NOT be having any since the Russians don't want us to...Tajiks might offer bases to a lot of countries but they are still dependent on Russian more than any country. We were allowed to station fighters in Farkhor because Russia is cool with that..NOT in Ayni because Russia is NOT cool with that. The Russians may be OK with one base full of fighters but they are NOT going to let us expand our footprint in their backyard..that's just plain common sense.

As I said- simple answer, no fighters in Ayni and yes fighters in Farkhor. And for those who want to get Ayni "operational"- best of luck and over Russia's dead body. Ain't gonna happen unless something BIG happens and that something BIG ain't happening.

hmm over Russia's Dead body ...... Naaa Just a secret deal with Russia is enough ..... Like we did in case of Nuclear Submarines people say we will not use them in war :D :D

Mate , I meant no country can keep such a thing secret , if Indian aircrafts were there , this would surely have made headlines in the media including your own which is always interested in dramatic news :) I know the over dependency of Tajikistan on Russia but I know its geographical vulnerability and delicate situation too . In case of hostilities , there's no way that India can re supply the base without getting into complicated deals with half the CIS and Russia since even the Kremlin doesn't share a border with that country . Little correction , you were allowed to operate that base because of the delicate situation the newly broken USSR was in back then , now the bear is sharpening its teeth , it is understandable that they do not want anyone else in their backyard .

Can anyone keep such a big thing secret specially when a remote foreign territory with which India shares no common boundary and expensive logistics are involved which would mean that the Russians are de facto managing the base , providing the aircrafts on lease , not Indians since the supplies come from there and New Dehli pays for it ?
(The same question w.r.t Farkhor now )

hmm over Russia's Dead body ...... Naaa Just a secret deal with Russia is enough ..... Like we did in case of Nuclear Submarines people say we will not use them in war :D :D

You know, a nuke boat we point at Pakistan or even China won't bother the Russians- what @Secur is maybe trying to get at is- If you try and erode their footprint in their backyard- which having multiple bases will do- they will NOT tolerate it. A guest can have the guest room not the whole damn apartment at his disposal..this isn't atithi devo bhawa...they're cool with Farkhor and not with Ayni- that's their position at the moment.

@Secur Not to mention, Farkhor has its essential infra at place and in those terms is self sufficient BUT its not as if we are airlifting essentials/foods/habitables/and other sundry perishable logistics to them. Those come from Tajik which pretty much means they come from Russia. We are there due to the good will earned from Tajik AND more importantly because the Russians don't mind atm. If the latter changes and then we're out.

Mate , isn't it exactly what I said ? :D The Russians are de facto running the Farkhor base providing everything for it at the moment including the even Mig-29's ... The geography isn't suitable or feasible for airlifting every single supply for the base so the Kremlin's doing the job for now ...

My Question Know is Y Russia Don't want India To have a Second active base in Tajikistan ???

India Was the one who helped Russian In Afghan war ..... India is all time ally of Russia and after US withdraw India will be one of those country's who can effectively control the affairs of Afghanistan thanks to US once again for letting RAW make strong hold their .... I m not talking about withdrawal of 2014 i m talking about the 2024 .....

Mate , I meant no country can keep such a thing secret , if Indian aircrafts were there , this would surely have made headlines in the media including your own which is always interested in dramatic news :) I know the over dependency of Tajikistan on Russia but I know its geographical vulnerability and delicate situation too . In case of hostilities , there's no way that India can re supply the base without getting into complicated deals with half the CIS and Russia since even the Kremlin doesn't share a border with that country . Little correction , you were allowed to operate that base because of the delicate situation the newly broken USSR was in back then , now the bear is sharpening its teeth , it is understandable that they do not want anyone else in their backyard .

Can anyone keep such a big thing secret specially when a remote foreign territory with which India shares no common boundary and expensive logistics are involved which would mean that the Russians are de facto managing the base , providing the aircrafts on lease , not Indians since the supplies come from there and New Dehli pays for it ?
(The same question w.r.t Farkhor now )

No one kept it a secret, reports about this come out from time to time..but ya we/tajiks/russians don't really allow any media person to get there- in those terms its secret- no pictures shall be forthcoming and ergo no details as to the real infra there unless you're in MI and gazing at it through sat surveillance- In fact you could hop on to the Indian BRO site and even there you'll find open info on the construction they undertook there but nothing about the scale.

In short you can glean info from releases and known material but nothing more shall be forthcoming on that matter from any side. So it all depends on what sort of secret you mean, Area 51 level? NO. People know its there- we just have a clamp down on too many details. Other than that even the negotiations for Ayni were never kept a secret and were reported on widely- back in 05 the BRO and IAF activity in Farkhor were reported on actively too. And on our media- interesting is a "china killer missile" or more recently "US me maut ka marathon" NOT the IAF IACCCS passed its last milestone or the NBD has green lit the P-17A.

Mate , isn't it exactly what I said ? :D The Russians are de facto running the Farkhor base providing everything for it at the moment including the even Mig-29's ... The geography isn't suitable or feasible for airlifting every single supply for the base so the Kremlin's doing the job for now ...

Obviously IF the Russians want us out they'll get us out. Usme toh kisiko doubt nahi hona chahiye...yaara its their backyard- they've got tajik to stonewall even preliminary probes from the Chinese on certain facilities being made available. In a decade or so they'll ask us to leave too when they think we've gotten too big.

No one kept it a secret, reports about this come out from time to time..but ya we/tajiks/russians don't really allow any media person to get there- in those terms its secret- no pictures shall be forthcoming and ergo no details as to he real infra there unless you're in MI and gazing at it through sat surveillance- In fact you could hop on to the Indian BRO site and even there you'll find open info on the construction they undertook there but nothing about the scale.

In short you can glean info from releases and known material but nothing more shall be forthcoming on that matter from any side. So it all depends on what sort of secret you mean, Area 51 level? NO. People no its there- we just have a clamp down on too many details. Other than that even the negotiations for Ayni were never kept a secret and were reported on widely- back in 05 the BRO and IAF activity in Farkhor were reported on actively too. And on our media- interesting in a "china killer missile" or more recently "US me maut ka marathon" NOT the IAF IACCCS passed its last milestone or the NBD has green lit the P-17A.

Well , I said that in response to some member's claim that IAF has stationed either leased or from its own squadrons fighters at Ayni airbase , I know about the latter being operational from '99 , there is nothing new about it . I only mentioned that even Farkhor is sort of being de facto operated by the Russians responsible for aircrafts and the suplies . Exactly what I meant , the Chinese eyes in the sky would surely have warned the Islamabad if something was there ...

I do not expect it to , too . Everybody knows the Area 51's there , Dillinger , what is so secret about it except for the isro2222's alien friends ? :D I know the negotiations about Ayni , even beneath this " post quick reply " option in the " similar threads " option , there are a couple articles about it .

Back
Top Bottom