Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
sundayreview_logo_large.png

India’s Blood-Stained Democracy

By MIRZA WAHEED
Published: July 6, 2012

kashmir.jpg

LAST September, a lawmaker in Indian-controlled Kashmir stood up in the state’s legislative assembly and spoke of a valley filled with human carcasses near his home constituency in the mountains: “In our area, there are big gorges, where there are the bones of several hundred people who were eaten by crows.”

I read about this in faraway London and was filled with a chill — I had written of a similar valley, a fictional one, in my novel about the lost boys of Kashmir. The assembly was debating a report on the uncovering of more than 2,000 unmarked and mass graves not far from the Line of Control that divides Indian- and Pakistani-controlled Kashmir. The report, by India’s government-appointed State Human Rights Commission, marked the first official acknowledgment of the presence of mass graves. More significantly, the report found that civilians, potentially the victims of extrajudicial killings, may be buried at some of the sites.

Corpses were brought in by the truckload and buried on an industrial scale. The report cataloged 2,156 bullet-riddled bodies found in mountain graves and called for an inquiry to identify them. Many were men described as “unidentified militants” killed in fighting with soldiers during the armed rebellion against Indian rule during the 1990s, but according to the report, more than 500 were local residents. “There is every probability,” the report concluded, that the graves might “contain the dead bodies of enforced disappearances,” a euphemism for people who have been detained, abducted, taken away by armed forces or the police, often without charge or conviction, and never seen again.

Had the graves been found under Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s compound in Libya or in the rubble of Homs in Syria, there surely would have been an uproar. But when over 2,000 skeletons appear in the conflict-ridden backyard of the world’s largest democracy, no one bats an eye. While the West proselytizes democracy and respect for human rights, sometimes going so far as to cheerlead cavalier military interventions to remove repressive regimes, how can it reconcile its humanitarianism with such brazen disregard for the right to life in Kashmir? Have we come to accept that there are different benchmarks for justice in democracies and autocracies? Are mass graves unearthed in democratic India somehow less offensive?

The Indian government has long been intransigent on the issue of Kashmir — preferring to blame Pakistan for fomenting violence rather than address Kashmiris’ legitimate aspirations for freedom or honor its own promises to resolve the issue according to the wishes of Kashmiri people and investigate the crimes of its army. And almost a year after the human rights commission issued its report on mass graves, the Indian state continues to remain indifferent to evidence of possible crimes against humanity. As a believer in a moral universe, I expected better. But it is an all too familiar pattern.

In March 2000, a day before President Bill Clinton visited India, about 35 Kashmiri Sikhs were massacred by unidentified gunmen in the village of Chattisinghpora, 50 miles from the Kashmiri capital, Srinagar. Soon after, L. K. Advani, then India’s home minister, declared that the terrorists responsible for the killings had been shot dead in an “encounter” with the Indian Army. But the truth turned out to be more sinister. Under pressure from human rights groups and relatives, the bodies of the so-called terrorists were exhumed, and after a couple of botched investigations in which DNA samples were fudged, it was revealed that the dead men were innocent Kashmiris.

It took nearly 12 years — primarily because of the Indian government’s refusal to prosecute those involved in the murders — to reach the Supreme Court of India. On May 1, in a widely criticized decision, the court left it to the army to decide how to proceed, and the army has opted for a court-martial rather than a transparent civilian trial. In the eyes of Pervez Imroz, a Kashmiri lawyer and civil rights activist, the court’s decision “further emboldens the security forces” and strengthens “a process that has appeared to never favor the victims.”

But the victims have not forgotten Kashmir’s estimated 8,000 “disappeared.” Perhaps the most telling reminder is the women who stage a symbolic protest every month in a Srinagar park like the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires, who protested weekly after their children became “desaparecidos” under the Argentine dictatorship of 1976-83. Each woman wears a headband bearing a blank photo — steadfastly refusing to forget in the face of the Indian government’s callous and immoral indifference.

IN the long and bloody narrative of India’s injustices in Kashmir, there come seasons that are etched in the public consciousness as collective epitaphs of mourning and loss. In the summer of 2010, there was a mass uprising against Indian rule in Kashmir — an Arab Spring before the Arab Spring.

It came after police killed a teenager; thousands of people came out into the streets across Kashmir. The Indian paramilitary forces and police yet again reacted with brute force, keeping the region under virtual siege for over two months and killing 120 people, many of them teenagers. The youngest, Sameer Rah, not even 10, was beaten to death by irate paramilitaries. The provincial government promised “speedy justice.” But once again, no one has been charged with these killings, let alone convicted of them.

The Indian government must do what may seem inconceivable to the hawks in the military establishment but is long overdue. Before it can even begin to contemplate negotiating a lasting political solution in consultation with Kashmiris it must act to deliver justice — for the parents of the disappeared; for the young lives brutally extinguished in 2010; for the innocent dead stealthily buried in unmarked graves in the mountains; for the Kashmiris languishing in Indian prisons without any legal recourse; for the exiled Kashmiri Hindu Pandits who fled in 1990 after some were targeted and killed by militants; and for the mother of Sameer Rah, who still doesn’t know why her young son was bludgeoned to death and his body left by a curb.

A journalist and the author of the novel “The Collaborator.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/indias-blood-stained-democracy.html

Please merge.

We will change it to belongeD

hehe...what have you been doing since last 65 years? Sleeping? It seems your nation is characterized by "Big Talk No Action"

Reactions: Dzz
By: Khan A. Sufyan
July 12, 2012

We arrived in Darzo (Mizoram, India) about ten in the morning. My orders were to get the villagers to collect whatever moveable property they could, and set their own village on fire at seven in the evening.

Night fell, I lit a torch myself and set fire to one of the houses. I knew I was carrying out orders, and would hate to do such a thing if I had my way. My soldiers also started torching other buildings, and the whole place was soon ablaze. Women were wailing and shouting and cursing. Children were frightened and cried. But the grown men were silent; not a whimper or a whisper from them. When it was time for the world to sleep, we marched out of Darzo .

We walked fifteen miles and the morning saw us in Hnahthial. I hated myself that night. I had done the job of an executioner. I called the Darzo Village Council President and his village elders and ordered them to sign a document saying that they had voluntarily asked to be resettled under the protection of the Security Forces as they were being harassed by the insurgents and that no force or coercion was used by the Security Forces.

They refused to sign. So I called them in one man at a time. On my table was a loaded revolver, and in the corner stood two NCOs with loaded sten-guns. This frightened them, and one by one they signed the documents.

(Lalkhama 2006. A Mizo Civil Servant’s Random Reflections. Ghazaibad:
Express Print House, pp.177-180)​

In September 2011, state assembly of Indian Occupied Kashmir (IOK) debated a report which uncovered presence of more than 2,000 unmarked mass graves not far from the Line of Control that divides Pakistan from IOK. The report, by Indian government appointed State Human Rights Commission, also issued its first official acknowledgment of the presence of these mass graves.
Such incidents have not only been reported from IOK but many other parts of India. The atrocities committed to counter many ongoing insurgencies in the name of democratic Union of India are wide-spread, horrendous and shameful, yet only a handful of the perpetrators has ever been brought to justice.

India has been able to bring some of these insurgencies under a measure of control. Yet the wanton atrocities committed by Indian security forces and the coercive manipulation of democratic process probably has been some of the major causes why India houses one of the largest number of freedom movements and secessionist groups, insurgencies and extremist groups and in any one country in the world. Currently, there are around 140 such known groups operating in 28 Indian States and 7 Union Territories.

There are parts of India where diverse set of freedom movement groups run their own independent governments, collect taxes, maintain functional bureaucratic institutions, judiciary and maintain well organized regular and trained armies. On 30 June 2012, the Army of Government of People’s Republic of Nagaland held an openly announced passing out parade of a batch of officers at their military base Khehoi, merely 40 kilometers from Rangapahar, Dimapur. Rangapahar is the Headquarters of Indian Army 3 Corps and is a big cantonment also housing large Para-military force nearby. Yet the Indian Army and other security apparatus did not have the courage to establish the writ of Indian government.

Over 120 Indian Army battalions and over 250 para-military battalions are deployed in Occupied Kashmir. Close to 70 Indian Army battalions and over 220 para-military battalions are deployed in North East of India. Over 80 para-military battalions are also deployed in the rest of India to combat insurgencies. These forces have committed massive human rights violations. They are protected under the law, particularly the Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) for protection of Indian Army, giving it blanket cover for killing or torturing anyone.

Does anybody in the so-called civilized world know that a lady known by the name of Irom Sharmila Chanu, also known as the Iron Lady of Manipur, has been on hunger strike for the past 12 years and is being force-fed. She went on a hunger strike on 4 November 2000 in an effort to have the Government of India withdraw AFSPA from Manipur and other parts of India.

India has always blamed her neighbors, mainly Pakistan for presence of such a large number of secessionist groups. However, according to Indian media sources only 32 such groups operate in IOK, presence of which is conveniently blamed on Pakistan. Large majority of the IOK populace however blame oppression of Indian Security Forces in the killings of over 100,000 Kashmiri people. Bulk of the remaining groups around 72 in number operate in the North East of India, while the remaining are spread over the rest of Indian territory. Overall, around 30-40 percent of Indian territory has been inflicted by freedom movements and insurgencies due to un-equal treatment meted out to the local populace and atrocities committed by Indian Security Forces, who are protected by law through manipulation of democratic institutions.

In addition to this, Naxalite movement alone has spread to over 40 percent of India and is fast getting out of hand. These are poor people who have risen up in arms against a manipulative democratic dispensation in which the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer without any future. Even with oppressive application of large number of security forces, India is clearly losing her writ on almost 50 percent of its territory.

The neo-colonial attitude followed by Indian political elite has further exacerbated the dichotomies present in the democratic and political dispensation meted out to the population at large. Their indifferent internal economic policies sustained through oppressive application of security strategies kept hidden from the world at large through adroit media handling in order to achieve some unattainable foreign policy precepts may lead to undesirable consequences. The blind followers of Indianized Kingdom or Indianization through attempted assimilation of neo-colonial cultural fail to understand that US achieved the objectives of its state-hood as a result of a civil war in 1860s.

India apparently is fast approaching this red line, where these freedom movements and insurgencies may result in internecine civil wars in different parts of India. In their ambition to undo the 1947 partition of India, the Indian neo-colonial dispensators may further fuel the disintegration of India through a democracy soaked in blood of her own people.

Link: India: Democracy Soaked In Blood Of Her Own People - OpEd Eurasia Review

India not only follows the neo-colonial attitude towards her own people, she follows this coercive policy towards her neighbours as well. And rightly pointed out that in an endavour to undo the freedom we received in 1947, India by hurting her own people is edging towards disintegration. The number of freedom movements and secessionist groups in India surprise me as I don't think any other country in the world would have so many such groups. The neo-colonial governance system followed by Indian political elite and so-called Brahmanic elite in all likelihood would damage India beyond relief.

India not only follows the neo-colonial attitude towards her own people, she follows this coercive policy towards her neighbours as well. And rightly pointed out that in an endavour to undo the freedom we received in 1947, India by hurting her own people is edging towards disintegration. The number of freedom movements and secessionist groups in India surprise me as I don't think any other country in the world would have so many such groups. The neo-colonial governance system followed by Indian political elite and so-called Brahmanic elite in all likelihood would damage India beyond relief.
Well, the number of such movement was quite high during early period but has gone down a lot due to democracy and federalism.
Previously too much power was centered at delhi but now state capitals are the centres of power. With more devaluation of power to villages, such movements will go down.

This article = Unabashedly Biased crap

The conclusion of the article= Wishful thinking since 65 years and running

Most of these so called 140 geoups have already surrendered and many of them have not more than 50-100 members. Hardly anything lethal about them .

Check out SATP.org , insurgency violence particularly in Kashmir Valley and North-East has gone drastically in the last few years .

In fact , in the North East there is hardly any serious , worth its salt insurgency or so called freedom movement left .

Well, the number of such movement was quite high during early period but has gone down a lot due to democracy and federalism.
Previously too much power was centered at delhi but now state capitals are the centres of power. With more devaluation of power to villages, such movements will go down.

Sir, I don't think it has gone down. Conversely It has increased manifold over a period of years and the Indian media acknowledges it. In my personal opinion, it is this very attitude (chiragh talay andhera) which exacerbates the problems within India. Indians do not want to believe that such a problem exists.

This article = Unabashedly Biased crap

The conclusion of the article= Wishful thinking since 65 years and running

Most of these so called 140 geoups have already surrendered and many of them have not more than 50-100 members. Hardly anything lethal about them .

Check out SATP.org , insurgency violence particularly in Kashmir Valley and North-East has gone drastically in the last few years .

In fact , in the North East there is hardly any serious , worth its salt insurgency or so called freedom movement left .

Sir, I urge you to go to SATP.org again and you may like to count the number of such groups operating in Indian states. I think even you will be surprised. This site is operated by Mr. IPS Gill, whom the Sikhs term as the "Butcher of Indian Held Punjab". Therefore the voracity of his citations with regard to these groups can not be questioned - even you quote it.

Like I said this is the problem with most of Indians, they just don't want to believe that such a problem exists.

Sir, I urge you to go to SATP.org again and you may like to count the number of such groups operating in Indian states. I think even you will be surprised. This site is operated by Mr. IPS Gill, whom the Sikhs term as the "Butcher of Indian Held Punjab". Therefore the voracity of his citations with regard to these groups can not be questioned - even you quote it.

Like I said this is the problem with most of Indians, they just don't want to believe that such a problem exists.

This is the problem with Pakistanis . The concept of logic is difficult to grasp . You want me to check the number of groups operating in India from SATP.org because they are a great number but when the same site shows consistently declining violence in India then I should not believe it since it is run by KPS Gill :lol:

Indians understand that such problems exist and that is the very reason we have been handling it and the country is still one .We are not the kind of people who remain in denial about our problems and issues . For this very reason we have not been divided yet and won't be in the forseeable future .

I would suggest you to look at your own country where in every part except Punjab there is a separatist movement before Pakistan turns into Punjabistan .

There is reason why international community calls Pakistan as 'Denialistan' and not India.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom