What's new

IMF Prediction GDP per capita of European countries 2016 vs GDP per capita 1938

I called it difficult referring to navigating it xD The Wikipedia article is a simple version of the Chart that i refer to often.
I'm not an Economist yet, i'm studying to become a Developmental Economist.

What is official Syrian government spending? We have a rough estimate including the Iranian/Russian donations/support. How much of this is spent within Syria?

What is the typical Syrian salary? 50% unemployment, then 50% of the labor force is spending the average wage month after month. Some Syrians might receive money from relatives abroad, how much is this?

How much is Russia investing in its new Mediterranean military base? What about the Syrian government, any new roads or military bases?

We have a rough estimate of Private consumption, Government spending & Investment. Exports & Imports are easier.

Refer to the formula i posted above and voila: Syria's GDP.

Why are you so angry that the IMF has said that Syria's GDP increased?

Don't have time to continue this now. After NY. Happy holidays.

Short answer to "Why are you so angry that the IMF has said that Syria's GDP increased" would be they don't have a clue, by their own admission.

That's impossible, Wars don't reduce GDP.

Syria went from $2,807 (2010) per capita to $3,790 (2014).
(source is Wikipedia)

This is because GDP depends on spending. Every time you spend $1 , it increases the GDP by $1.

The economic impact of the conflict is difficult to estimate precisely given limited data but is large and growing. Syria’s GDP is estimated to have contracted by an average of 15.4 percent for the period (2011-14) and is expected to decline further by nearly 16 percent in 2015. The decline in GDP growth was in part attributed to a sharp decline in oil production, down from 368,000 barrels per day in 2010 to an estimated 40,000 barrels per day in 2015. After increasing by nearly 90 percent in 2013, average inflation increased by 29 percent in 2014. CPI inflation is estimated to increase by 30 percent in 2015 because of continued trade disruption, shortages and a sharp depreciation of the Syrian pound.
source is the worldbank: Syria Overview
CIA world factbook also states that the Syrian GDP is declining. Not hard to imagine that a war is bad for your economy though.
The World Factbook

Back
Top Bottom