What's new

IDEF 2017: PAKISTAN MOVES CLOSER TO FINALIZING MILGEM CORVETTE PURCHASE - 10MAY17

I dont think there is currently a timeline for type 23s retirement. The type is going through mid-life refits with upgrades to sonar, missile defense, ciws and radars. Its unlikely they will be on the block until mid 2020s when the global combat ships start coming online.
i think the time line is around 2023 till 2030 when the first of the GC ships comes on line

I was just making a point about people questioning why the PN went for MILGEM instead of Chinese frigates. There were no decisive quality issues with the Chinese stuff - be it for the subs or frigates - but the decision to go with the Turks probably stemmed from maxing out the Chinese credit line.

Now as to why they picked 8 Hangors instead of 4 Hangors and 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or even 6 Hangors and 2 Tiger-class FFGs), that is a doctrine issue. They evidently wanted to build a sizable sub-surface fleet so that they have enough ships to spare for deep-sea operations. However, if the Chinese had another $1bn available in credit, I think they would have added 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or Type 054As or whatever).
no you questioned why pakistan cant get any more ships. as for going for the turks, i think its the desite of getting nato standard equipment where pakistani ships can talk to and interact with them. i dont think theres a chinese credit line but a long term game plan to produce ships effectively. as stated before with the ship lift will help increase the production of ships. as of now there are 3 dry docks which are usually used to maintain ships.
id expect them to build a set of halls for vessle production. after 2020 we will be seeing quiet a few ships popping out. you know how pakistan is working on making an aviation city, the navy is doing something similar.

I dont think there is currently a timeline for type 23s retirement. The type is going through mid-life refits with upgrades to sonar, missile defense, ciws and radars. Its unlikely they will be on the block until mid 2020s when the global combat ships start coming online.
the first ship is retiring in 2023 and if purchased for reuse camm/camm-er and a overhauled radar would be needed for starters.

interesting claim got proof ?

@Rashid Mahmood what would you say to bilal's claim.

IMO
I think that it's more of a diplomatic contract rather then due to the credit line.
We have had excellent relations with the TN since ages, but the Navy only bought small crafts.

I think this contract will be beneficial for PN as well as our 2 nations.

IMO
I think that it's more of a diplomatic contract rather then due to the credit line.
We have had excellent relations with the TN since ages, but the Navy only bought small crafts.

I think this contract will be beneficial for PN as well as our 2 nations.
ok, thanks but even diplomatic relations are good................right?

Joint training have been going on for years with PN & PAF both.
This is now being taken to another level in PN, by buying warships.
but if there buying watships surely it would be wise to ensure the transaction goes smoothly, right?

I was just making a point about people questioning why the PN went for MILGEM instead of Chinese frigates. There were no decisive quality issues with the Chinese stuff - be it for the subs or frigates - but the decision to go with the Turks probably stemmed from maxing out the Chinese credit line.

Now as to why they picked 8 Hangors instead of 4 Hangors and 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or even 6 Hangors and 2 Tiger-class FFGs), that is a doctrine issue. They evidently wanted to build a sizable sub-surface fleet so that they have enough subs to spare for deep-sea operations. However, if the Chinese had another $1bn available in credit, I think they would have added 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or Type 054As or whatever).
8 subs of 5 billions with TOT had maxed out Chinese soft loan temporarily, that's how it is.

5 billions USD is a lot of money, a lot of.

That's what the best China can offer to PN as of now, maybe more in the future.

Now as to why they picked 8 Hangors instead of 4 Hangors and 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or even 6 Hangors and 2 Tiger-class FFGs), that is a doctrine issue. They evidently wanted to build a sizable sub-surface fleet so that they have enough subs to spare for deep-sea operations. However, if the Chinese had another $1bn available in credit, I think they would have added 4 Tiger-class FFGs (or Type 054As or whatever).

Hi,

That decision was out of sheer stupidity.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

Hi,

That decision was out of sheer stupidity.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

If the payment will be done over the 10-15 years period, than i'd say its not a bad decision to buy Subs from China as no string will be attached or any Tech we want to integrate with .. AIP or armed them with Long range CM. I doubt Europeans will give it that to PN in that price tag .
If the Corvette deal is finalized and and OPV from Belgium pops into Pakistan, than PN will have a mixed fleet of east and west ..

How many opv is pn interested in, will they be build Pakistan?

Will these opv be armed with anti sub/ship weapons

How many opv is pn interested in, will they be build Pakistan?

Will these opv be armed with anti sub/ship weapons

Interested in 4 2 will be made in Turkey and 2 in Karachi
and yes they are equipped with anti subs and ship weapons

The best opition would be 4 x Type 054A+ FFG

32 cell VLS, towed sonar, variable depth sonar, bow mounted sonar and anti submarine torpedos launched from VLS

Proper anti submarine screening, air defence and anti ship a multi role unit

It's proven platform scores of anti piracy missions have provided a lot of iteration changes to tailor this FFG for the high seas

Ada class is now more expensive than European warships too expensive no VLS

Most importantly it gives interoperability with Chinese navy and carrier strike groups

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom