What's new

IDEAS 2014 - 8th International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (1 - 4 Dec 2014)

Proudly Introducing
AK11.jpg

Just what i was scared off... these specs are of upgraded AK.. not the new "yet to be revealed AK".....

Sir jee, Just accept we were taken on a joyride which happens so often. This is "THE" AK that we were waiting to be revealed. There would be no AK-2 or yet to be revealed, those are myths or more aptly said, Disinformation spread by HIT.

Even upgraded Al-Khalid looks outdated. when we compare it with MBT-3000

10426546_641945615904534_3824419759210482928_n.jpg

Sir jee, Just accept we were taken on a joyride which happens so often. This is "THE" AK that we were waiting to be revealed. There would be no AK-2 or yet to be revealed, those are myths or more aptly said, Disinformation spread by HIT.

What about this?
HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT

Author:Daksg Nakra, Kuala Lumpur
Last posted:2014-04-23

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, stated that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.

Qureshi claimed this was incorrect and that the Al Khalid-I is an indigenous development of Pakistan's mainstay tank, the Al Khalid, which was jointly developed in the early 1990s with NORINCO (known in China as the MBT-2000) and commissioned in 2001.

The Pakistan Army's Armoured Corps operates about 420 Al Khalid MBTs, along with Al Zarrar (Type 59/59M), Type 69, Type 85 IIAP and T-80UD tanks. The Al Khalid-I will replace approximately 300 Type 85s and 320 T-80s, which are known to operate in semi-desert and desert areas of the country.

The existing Al Khalid is powered by a Ukrainian 6TD-2 power pack developing a maximum power of 1,200 bhp. It also features integrated battle management, auto transmission control, muzzle reference and active threat protection systems.

Qureshi added that the design concept of the Al Khalid-I is primarily based on further refining and improving mobility, firepower and protection. Initially, the design featured around 10 major changes over the Al Khalid hull, but due to rising costs and budgetary constraints, this has been reduced to six.

These include a new 1,500 bhp power pack to improve its power-to-weight ratio and a digital driver manual. The HIT official confirmed that it would retain the 125 mm smoothbore barrel. As of April 2014, trials are under way to finalise the new power pack. These details concur with comments at IDEAS 2012 by a senior official at Pakistan's Ministry of Defence Procurement who told said that an improved version would feature a more powerful diesel power pack, improved command and control and better night-fighting capabilities.

HIT plans to complete trials of the Al Khalid-I with the Pakistani Army by the first quarter of 2015 and based on results, it is hoping to achieve low rate initial production by June 2015.
HIT currently has the capability to roll out 20-40 Al Khalid MBTs a year, suggesting it will look to achieve a similar production schedule for the improved version.

JDW

Source: Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool | Page 42

@DESERT FIGHTER Compare the specs of Janes with those given in official brochure. Heck Powerplant is 1200 HP and IBMS, Digital panel is Add-on or Misc. Most probably, as the things began to unravel, we might hear IBMS or things in MISC are not being installed in tanks to keep costs down.

@DESERT FIGHTER Compare the specs of Janes with those given in official brochure. Heck Powerplant is 1200 HP and IBMS, Digital panel is Add-on or Misc. Most probably, as the things began to unravel, we might hear IBMS is not being installed in tanks to keep costs down.

For international customers...I can assure you that IBMS etc are equipping our tanks.

For international customers...I can assure you that IBMS etc are equipping our tanks.

That's a joke. No one's gonna buy Al-Khalid. It ain't got no juice in it to attract buyers and it would be criminal negligence if they don't make digital driver panel, muzzle reference system and APS make necessary systems for all tanks instead of MISC or ADD-ON.

and IIRC, Automatic gun system was one requirement of upgraded Al-Khalid. I'm not seeing that either

That's a joke. No one's gonna buy Al-Khalid.

its export version was sold to myamar,bangladesh n peru....
and it would be criminal negligence if they don't make digital driver panel, muzzle reference system and APS make necessary systems for all tanks instead of MISC or ADD-ON.

Depends on the requirement of the customer..:)

and IIRC, Automatic gun system was one requirement of upgraded Al-Khalid. I'm not seeing that either

The RCS has been there since decades...take a closer look.. or browse old pics..

Last edited:
its export version was sold to myamar n peru....

Depends on the requirement of the customer..:)

The RCS has been there since decades...take a closer look.. or browse old pics..

Chinese version to be precise without all the goodies Pakistan has put it into their tanks

Customer (PA) wants cheap product. That's the reality. Hence the fear t Al-Khalid would be in downgraded form than we are led to think it contains all the goodies !

To control RCS, you need IBMS in the tanks, unless it is not in there, you can't operate RCS.

It ain't got no juice in it to attract buyers and it would be criminal negligence if they don't make digital driver panel, muzzle reference system and APS make necessary systems for all tanks instead of MISC or ADD-ON.

You might be surprised to hear, the VT1A MBT sold to Bangladesh are the much 'downgraded versions' of AK and MBT-2000 tanks.

Customer (PA) wants cheap product. That's the reality. Hence the fear t Al-Khalid would be in downgraded form than we are led to think it contains all the goodies !
To control RCS, you need IBMS in the tanks, unless it is not in there, you can't operate RCS.

Im no tank expert... but ive personally seen the tanks... n met with Armour officers who operate them...

Back
Top Bottom