What's new

IAF Mirage 2000 Upgrade Slowed By Weapons

2.1 b is goin to be a bad investment as the service life of the Mirage cant be enhanced beyond 8-10 years after upgrades imo. the money should be spent on LCA..

Only LCA MK2 will be more capable and besides that it will be available very late, it first has to replace numbers of Mig 21s, while the Mirage needs the upgrade inbetween.

so , these were according to you, the obvious reason IAF bought 2nd hand Migs and not the 2nd hand Mirages?
as faar as i know the main problem of mig 29 is in its engine.. And i think tht was one of the main reason why IAF had for Miraage 2000 in 1984 too....

Only LCA MK2 will be more capable and besides that it will be available very late, it first has to replace numbers of Mig 21s, while the Mirage needs the upgrade inbetween.
but sir don't u thnk its too late to upgrade miraage 2000....i mean we r talking about ths upgrade since 2006 and now its 2011.....wen r we going to sanction the upgrade...and wen its going to get upgraded and don't forget it need approval of finance ministry too..which will b quite difficult since the amount is too high....i hope u remember airbus A 330 MRTT fiasco

only diff is p chidambaram is now HM not FM

but sir don't u thnk its too late to upgrade miraage 2000....i mean we r talking about ths upgrade since 2006 and now its 2011.....wen r we going to sanction the upgrade...and wen its going to get upgraded and don't forget it need approval of finance ministry too..which will b quite difficult since the amount is too high....i hope u remember airbus A 330 MRTT fiasco

No it's not, as the reports said, the airframes have a guaranteed life of around 30 years and the first Mirages are 25 years old now. According the Air Chief in the latest interview with NDTV, the Mirage upgrade could be fixed by next week.
On IDF a French member maid an interesting statement, he couldn't understand why everybody things the Mirage upgrade is so expensive, while the re-engine deal for Jaguars alone costs $2 billions, without the additional avionics and weapons. They are of course twice as much as we have Mirage fighters, but still would cost around $20 millions just for the engines!
By the same logic that many people use, that is more costly than the Mig 29 upgrade and the Jags at the end will be by far less capable then the Mirage and Mig 29s!

Personally, I do think the Mirage upgrade is expensive, but all alternatives are more costly, requires more time and often not as capable. The M2K is one of our best fighters and we have to keep it in service, we can't reduce the quality, especially when we already have not enough numbers!

i agree with u, but clarify 1 thing, does that 2.1b worth an upgrade? Mirages r on the verge of decommisionnig.. LCA or MRCA, the money should go in that.. Else AMCA should get promoted with all the money..

i feel israel + hal + gtre combo should do the work.. upgrading radar + avionics + engine

let Israel do the upgrades they offered to upgrade all of the Mirages for HALF THE PRICE THE FRENCH ARE OFFERING not to mention Israel could also supply the weapons (IAI, Rafael) and the Radar (Elta)

let Israel do the upgrades they offered to upgrade all of the Mirages for HALF THE PRICE THE FRENCH ARE OFFERING not to mention Israel could also supply the weapons (IAI, Rafael) and the Radar (Elta)

tricky part is we have give something 2 french... looks like they are doing some favor for us
and all their weapons are costly..
only if india buys nuclear reactors in time..

i agree with u, but clarify 1 thing, does that 2.1b worth an upgrade? Mirages r on the verge of decommisionnig.. LCA or MRCA, the money should go in that.. Else AMCA should get promoted with all the money..

I think it is, they get new radars, avionics, more hardpoints and in addition new weapons as well, LCA MK1 is simply not as mature, or capable, but I wouldn't mind additional Rafales if it wins MMRCA, even if it's more costly. That would be the only way for an fast and easy replacement of the Mirage fighters.

I think it is, they get new radars, avionics, more hardpoints and in addition new weapons as well, LCA MK1 is simply not as mature, or capable, but I wouldn't mind additional Rafales if it wins MMRCA, even if it's more costly. That would be the only way for an fast and easy replacement of the Mirage fighters.

Mirage-III/5s were sitting ducks for the air combat mission , according to PAF....

Now all the people who have flown this aircraft(LCA) swear by it, it's a wonderful aircraft , according to Air Chief Marshall PV Naik ..

why would you want to compare the mirage 3/5 to the mirage 2000??? Its like saying since mig 21 is a flying coffin, the mig 29 must be too...... Am against the upgrade too,but only cause the price is too high. The plane itself will become deadly after upgrades especially for strike role......
Lca is wonderful cause its based on mirage 2000....
Though i am still for retiring the mirages and getting new mig 29s in its place

why would you want to compare the mirage 3/5 to the mirage 2000??? Its like saying since mig 21 is a flying coffin, the mig 29 must be too...... Am against the upgrade too,but only cause the price is too high. The plane itself will become deadly after upgrades especially for strike role......
Lca is wonderful cause its based on mirage 2000....
Though i am still for retiring the mirages and getting new mig 29s in its place

mirage2k was developed from mirage-3 , .....

Mirage-III/5s were sitting ducks for the air combat mission , according to PAF....

Now all the people who have flown this aircraft(LCA) swear by it, it's a wonderful aircraft , according to Air Chief Marshall PV Naik ..

And that's why Mirage 2000-5s would be as well? Not really, they are completely muti role capable, unlike PAFs fighters and just because LCA is good to fly, it won't be mature, or more capable then the Mirage after the upgrade isn't it?

LCA MK1 / Mirage 2000-5

Speed: Mach 1.6 / Mach 2.2
MTOW: 13.3t / 17t
Payload: 3.5t / 6.3t
Weapon stations: 7+1 / 9 (A2A - 2 x SR + 4 x MR / 6 to 8, all BVR capable)
Weapons: R73, Derby, Sudharshan LGB / MICA IR & EM, Paveway LGBs, AASM & SPICE PGMs, Exocet, Scalp Cruise missile...

It is a proven and reliable fighter, with a lot of excellent multi role capabilities and it wasn't surprising that IAF wanted more of them and why they are ready to pay the price for the upgrade.

and the t 90 was developed from the t 72, still no comparison between the two....

Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom