What's new

IAF Gnat Not First To Surrender. !

^^^ you u edited the above page?

^^^ you u edited the above page?

looks like it.

but rather weird and looney interpretation of the IAF air chiefs visit to peshawar. ("acknowledgement of paf superiority" :cheesy:)

after the war, general musa visited delhi. should we take it that the pakistani army chief acknowledged his defeat by visiting india? :cheesy::cheesy:

ACKNOWLEDGING THE VICTOR. !

Soon after the 1965 war ended, the IAF Commander made an official visit to Pakistan, in diplomatic terms, it was a confirmation of defeat while acknowledging PAF's superiority.

17b9b7be41cdb9300e262d5c81a0fcbc.jpg
Some logic you got...If an IAF commander visited Pakistan it means he acknowledge PAF' superiority :disagree:

looks like it.

but rather weird and looney interpretation of the IAF air chiefs visit to peshawar. ("acknowledgement of paf superiority" :cheesy:)

after the war, general musa visited delhi. should we take it that the pakistani army chief acknowledged his defeat by visiting india? :cheesy::cheesy:

Well buddy, enlighten us if any POW accompanied General Musa on his trip back. !!! ???

Last edited:
IAF pilot got into really bad weather when he came out he was in PAK Air Space Butt sb and Arshad got after him Os were no match against sabers specially 2 of them the pilot was sensible to land, Later IAF grounded O and vampires.
Much to the amusement of our pilots, the vampire pilot activated landing gear, which is a signal of surrender in order to avoid engagement.

According to Wing Commander Saqib Shafi, Vampires were no longer used by IAF to fly sorties after 01/September 1965 - when Sqn Ldr Rafiqui and his wingman, Flt Lt Bhatti shot down two enemy indian vampires (each)

Previously, Pattankot-like adventure was repeated by 5 Sabres over @ Kalaikudda, several Vampires & Canberra were obliterated (on the ground) by guns/rockets.

2 Canberras about to be airborne with IAF pilots Wilson and Karve (from the names it seemed evident that many of the indian pilots participating were Anglo-indian officers), were blown up with full fuel and ammo. Another 4 vampires were lined up on the tarmac and armed with full fuel, they made spectacular fire-works

Credit to Gp Capt Gulli Haider; Sqdn Leader Shabbir Hussain Syed, Flt Lts Baseer, Tariq Habib, Haleem & Flg Off Afzal.

Last edited:
According to Wing Commander Saqib Shafi, Vampires were no longer used by IAF to fly sorties after 01/September 1965 - when Sqn Ldr Rafiqui and his wingman, Flt Lt Bhatti shot down two enemy indian vampires (each)

Previously, Pattankot-like adventure was repeated by 5 Sabres over @ Kalaikudda, several Vampires & Canberra were obliterated (on the ground) by guns/rockets.

2 Canberras about to be airborne with IAF pilots Wilson and Karve (from the names it seemed evident that many of the indian pilots participating were Anglo-indian officers), were blown up with full fuel and ammo. Another 4 vampires were lined up on the tarmac and armed with full fuel, they made spectacular fire-works

Credit to Gp Capt Gulli Haider; Sqdn Leader Shabbir Hussain Syed, Flt Lts Baseer, Tariq Habib, Haleem & Flg Off Afzal.
Hence, after this and a later performance, 14 Sqn. earned the nick name of "Tail Choppers".

You are taking about Gnat which was force landed by Hakimullah ??, later Hatimi flew it to PAF Base.

Yes Sir, it was Hatmi sb... Plz tell are there two Hatmi's in PAF because books show two names as " S A Hatmi" and Masud A Hatmi"

i believe there were 2....

Air Commodore (retd.) Fuad Masud Hatmi (Tamgha-i-Basalat)

Wg. Cdr. Syed Saad Akhtar Hatmi - (11th Sqn in 1965/ 25 Sqn in 1971) ; Sitara-e-Juraat

I have a feeling that the former has a son who is active F-16 pilot in PAF, serving No 11 Sqdn (one of the most prestigious, in terms of awards and responsibilities)

Last edited:
Apologies for replying to a nearly 3 year old thread but you are right that the Gnat flown by Sikand was not only completely airworthy but had all equipment including guns in working order. Sikand veered off from his fellow aviators out of sheer cowardice and claimed to have lost his way. The radar commander at Amritsar, my father, Wing Commander Dandapani, saw Sikand's aircraft flying off course on his radar but could not raise him on the radio. Sikand appeared to deliberately not respond judging from static noise heard in Amritsar. Later, my father was requested by colleagues and brass to not bring up Sikand's evident cowardice. Unfortunately, he went along with it.

The surrendering of IAF Gnat at the beginning of the 1965 war has been well documented, but few people know that this was not the first Indian aircraft forced to land inside Pakistan. Earlier in the same year during operation Dessert Hawk, an IAF Dassault Ouragan was intercepted and forced to land near Jangshahi.
[/IMG]

Hi,

For that GNAT---me the little kid was standing outside the house---when this gnat flew right overheard very low and my dad screamed hey hey---that is an indian aircraft---then later on he heard the news that the aircraft was forced to land---.

Hi,

For that GNAT---me the little kid was standing outside the house---when this gnat flew right overheard very low and my dad screamed hey hey---that is an indian aircraft---then later on he heard the news that the aircraft was forced to land---.

And some of us only got to learn about it some 25 years later. !! :tongue:

Apart from the Gnat and the Ourgan , Pakistan also captured an Indian army Alouette /Chetak helicopter, which is on display in Gilgit, does any one know the story behind this surrender.

2133407650010162203S425x425Q85.jpg

Back
Top Bottom