What's new

IAF Conducts Successful User Trials of Akash SAM System

1=> Yes of course. It's known, but the progress is not further the conceptual phase. And with the ER Barak 8 and 200km missiles of S400, it remains to be seen if we can allocate more money for yet the same category of SAM.
2=> AGAIN YES. And guess what we have already made significant progress in it. But range will not be satifactory, a range of ~900 km is what they are targeting. Although we had limited Anti Ship Ballistic missile capability in the form of Dhanush, which has proved its single digit accuracy.
3&4

Well all the above I agree.

But my only point was , what will be the SAM of Karmorta class, the list of ships being armed with Barak8 does not include it. Barak 1 will require adding extra guidance system.

So VL MICA may get the cut.

And my point is why going for Maitri which is nothing but the VL MICA, when it could be Spyder which is derived from Python 4 A2A missile which have active and long experience in palestine with the Akash FCR fitted over the T-72 hull thus playing the safe. Also believe me the French is asking for hell lot of Money for the joint development with no Indian inputs and denying the use of Trishul project as the base completely.

1. 200 km missile is the SAM derived from PDV.
2. Anti CBG will have range of 2000 KM. Dhanush is antiship ballastic missile, but no the hypersonic at the terminal phase to defeat the Battle Group air Defense.
3. SL SAM Maitri have been cancelled confirmed by IA in 2014 for good.

Question is not what we feels but what our decission makers feels and decide, thats why why don't they have any project like Aesa Survellance radar fitted over the tracked hull derived from the UTTAM Radar.

Last edited:
@knight11
Karmorta class ASW needs SAMs, be it VLS MICA or VLS Python. But as VL MICA is already available,and equips some ships of Royal Oman Navy,so now if we opt for VL MICA RF for our ASW Corvettes, we won't require to pay development costs as opposed, to if we go for VLS Python and Derby system from ships which is at present not available and will need some kind of sure shot development fee.

Now on 200km SAM, it remains to be seen if works progresses more than its conceptual phase.

On ballistic anti ship missile, well I am quite sure the first variant will have a range ~900 to ~1500 km, not 2000km. But it seems you are sure about the 2000km one. So it seems they would go for phased development , and yes the person did mention hypersonic speed combined with high maneuvers in terminal phase, so I am quite excited about it.

@Ankit Kumar
For karmota I really have no idea, because have very less knowledge related to Navy. But try to find out and will quote you if any information i'll get.

For PDV as the 200-250 KM Range, its not conceptual but advance stage.
For anti CBG, the range is 1500-2000 km range said by the DRDO chief himself.
For VL Maitri in naval use, I think the idea of MOD and GOI is going for indegenous in the missiles, so I doubt Maitri.

You can ask @PARIKRAMA

Last edited:
What?? Successful trails??
Common IAF no complain about the technical deficiency. Not even about the bad production quality?? Afterall Akash isn't a foreign maal.

Stop acting like a kid! The regiments have been operationalized 5 years back and are awesome. These tests are practice flights for recycling of expiry missiles. To give the crew practice as also use older missiles. DRDO gets the credit where due, they have done a very good job in the missiles segment, no two ways about it. If you have nothing useful to add, then desist from posting - don't troll please.

Thanks

On ballistic anti ship missile, well I am quite sure the first variant will have a range ~900 to ~1500 km, not 2000km. But it seems you are sure about the 2000km one. So it seems they would go for phased development , and yes the person did mention hypersonic speed combined with high maneuvers in terminal phase, so I am quite excited about it.

Wont it need just jury rigging the K-4? Last I recall, there was a talk of canister based version coming in too, maybe just might have been a scuttlebutt. And K-4 does have a very ambiguous range as of now .... !

Stop acting like a kid! The regiments have been operationalized 5 years back and are awesome. These tests are practice flights for recycling of expiry missiles. To give the crew practice as also use older missiles. DRDO gets the credit where due, they have done a very good job in the missiles segment, no two ways about it. If you have nothing useful to add, then desist from posting - don't troll please.

Thanks
Seems like you don't have a good taste for sarcasm.

@Ankit Kumar
For karmota I really have no idea, because have very less ailedge related to Navy. But try to find out and will quote you if any information i'll get.

For PDV as the 200-250 KM Range, its not conceptual but advance stage.
For anti CBG, the range is 1500-2000 km range said by the DRDO chief himself.
For VL Maitri in naval use, I think the idea of MOD and GOI is going for indegenous in the missiles, so I doubt Maitri.

You can ask @PARIKRAMA

Yes PDV is in a very advanced range, no doubt. I was talking about a SAM in similar range propsed by DRDO, not the anti ballistic missiles. Wait for 2 months, a anti ballistic missile test is coming soon.Well DRDO chief says a lot of things which has been proposed. But I can with 100% assurity can say that we are not working at that large range right now, may be they tested and simulated some situations and reduced the range of quicker development time.
VL Maitri or VL ASTRA ( Active guidance), it doesn't matter big to me, what matters for me is that Karmortas get their SAMs quick .

Seems like you don't have a good taste for sarcasm.

Being sarcastic towards who? To what end? Towards IAF for not reposing faith in LCA? Whatever be the rationale for your earlier post, it is irrelevant for the AD scenario, so my post. That is all. However, it is your viewpoint if you want to persist in being 'sarcastic' and prevent yourself to contributing positively towards the thread. I am sure you have your experiences and we all can learn and be better informed if you have something useful to add. However, feel free to ignore this post!

Thanks

Thanks

Wont it need just jury rigging the K-4? Last I recall, there was a talk of canister based version coming in too, maybe just might have been a scuttlebutt. And K-4 does have a very ambiguous range as of now .... !

K15 you mean ?

How many layers of air defense systems india got?

As far as SAM are concern

Should be 2 layer at present
1. medium range
2. Short range

Plans/development in future - 3 range
1. Long range
2. Medium range
3. Short range.

Being sarcastic towards who? To what end? Towards IAF for not reposing faith in LCA? Whatever be the rationale for your earlier post, it is irrelevant for the AD scenario, so my post. That is all. However, it is your viewpoint if you want to persist in being 'sarcastic' and prevent yourself to contributing positively towards the thread. I am sure you have your experiences and we all can learn and be better informed if you have something useful to add. However, feel free to ignore this post!

Thanks
Given the IAF's huge crush on foreign made equipments and their discardure of the genuine Indian made standard defense equipments the success of Akash SAM is a rare story.
But the Intolerance these days. People couldn't even take a sarcastic comment.

Actually, its not that straight. Pakistan has a higher hand in capability wise,when comparing the very short range defence, aka the MANPADS, while PA has Mistrals, RBS70 ,Stinger for the upper end and thousands of Anza for the lower end, IA still relies on older versions of Igla for this role
But Pak is not moving forward,towards medium and long range

How many layers of air defense systems india got?

Currently .. two layers, all of them in older gen category

S 125
Akash
AAA- Comprising L 40 and Zu 23

later plans

S400
Barak 8 MR SAM
Akash
SpyDer
Mantis or some other AAA system

Back
Top Bottom