What's new

Huawei/TSMC builds world's first 32-core ARM Cortex-A57 processor

China is simply a late comer to the semi conductor game. Its industry only began to develop back in 2003. So you can't expect China to be a world beater in just little over a a decade time. You not only have to look were China is today but also have to look where China is coming from. But China is catching up since its semi conductor industry is growing 5 times the global average.

For your information China is not buying the S-400 missile system. And aren't Indians always boasting that you are more innovative than China ?

Bro if you have been following my comments on here, i have been saying the same thing you said, yes China is a very late comer to the game(mainly due to Maos past policy of isoation and ideological fanaticism), and China since opening up has been catching up quite fater than most of us expected, but they still lag behind the west/U.S/Japan etc. However, some ultra nationalistic Chinese members here often said Britain is an insignificant island, that doesnt produce anything worthwhile and is irelevant. Some even said they are far more adavanced than Britain, while Britain is a second rate declining power, China is a world super power. Just read the thread one Chinese poster posted about China and the U.S dominating the world all others are useless. LOOl:rofl: Talk about ultra nationalists.:disagree:

I just want them to see reason and calm down. Always better to be down to earth and humble like the Japanese who are still the most developed/advanced country in Asia overall(the first to industrilaised in Asia by the way) even today but seldom boast this way. :bounce:

Why cant China build/design their own independent/different CPU procesors?? The only ARM's main CPU competitors are Intel (Atom), imagination technologies (MIPS) and AMD (that will also sell 64-bit server processors). And for GPU only competitors are Imagination Technologies (PowerVR), Qualcomm (Adreno),Nvidia and Intel, Full stop. :sick:

Yes i know bro. I just wanted some ultra nationalistic Chinese members on here to tone down their rhetoric and be more pragmatic and less boastful. Always good to make people see reason and be less desolutional. Though i know patriotism sometimes get the best of us. But it shouldnt make us blind.:partay:

you have CPU design and CPU instruction set design confused. The actual instruction set has to be licensed but the physical implementation of that instruction set on a chip is the responsibility of the chip designer. The number of instruction set designers is tiny compared to the number of CPU designers who implement the instruction set for other things.

... whatever how many cores, the ARM-based CPU only can running Android OS, can't install Windows OS without x86 architecture. China should buy AMD !
Why does one need Windows OS? I have been using Linux exclusively for 10 years alread.

True.
I was shocked when both Xinhua and People's Daily reported about the deal with Russia over S400. The Chinese members here made it seem as if they have already surpassed Russia, and need it no more.

But, China did indeed import those SAMs. Also, in the article they interviewed some PLA members who admitted that Russia is stronger in Air Defense systems.

You need to admit Russia is weak in naval shipbuilding and Aviation manufacturing and design. Even the S-400 is mostly symbolic and most important Rosoboronexport has no announced any deal signed and you are so happy to think its a comfirmed deal? So much of your agenda. But one thing comfirm is the 36 rafale deal signed which null localisation of Rafale for India. So much of India bragging of ToT. :lol:

Bro if you have been following my comments on here, i have been saying the same thing you said, yes China is a very late comer to the game(mainly due to Maos past policy of isoation and ideological fanaticism), and China since opening up has been catching up quite fater than most of us expected, but they still lag behind the west/U.S/Japan etc. However, some ultra nationalistic Chinese members here often said Britain is an insignificant island, that doesnt produce anything worthwhile and is irelevant. Some even said they are far more adavanced than Britain, while Britain is a second rate declining power, China is a world super power. Just read the thread one Chinese poster posted about China and the U.S dominating the world all others are useless. LOOl:rofl: Talk about ultra nationalists.:disagree:

I just want them to see reason and calm down. Always better to be down to earth and humble like the Japanese who are still the most developed/advanced country in Asia overall(the first to industrilaised in Asia by the way) even today but seldom boast this way. :bounce:
You are still behind times , Mike. China is the most advance Asia countries. Who build the largest aircraft in asia and which has the fastest super computer. Who has the most extensive self build GPS style statelite system? China.

Why cant China build/design their own independent/different CPU procesors?? The only ARM's main CPU competitors are Intel (Atom), imagination technologies (MIPS) and AMD (that will also sell 64-bit server processors). And for GPU only competitors are Imagination Technologies (PowerVR), Qualcomm (Adreno),Nvidia and Intel, Full stop. :sick:

there is one startup in china making their own chip architecture from scratch called harmony core that's not based on any of the above.
Code:
http://icubecorp.com/
http://icubecorp.com/2014/06/icube-received-ic3138-mass-production-chip-samples
http://icubecorp.com/2013/01/icube-partnership-with-peking-university-on-multi-processor-and-multi-thread-processor-research

New details surface on the UPU: A next-generation CPU architecture
icube-upu-processor-348x196.jpg

Share This article
New CPU architectures don’t come along very often — which is why more details on the Harmony Unified Processing Architecture being built by Chinese developer ICube are so interesting. Historically, instruction set architectures (ISAs) are risky bets. Not only are they exceptionally difficult to design, it takes an enormous additional effort to create tools that can leverage new capabilities. Even then, companies face an uphill fight to persuade vendors and software developers to recompile existing software to take advantage of the new design.

ICube is led by Fred Chow and Simon Moy. Chow is primarily a software designer and was chief architect of the Open64 compiler and the specific Pathscale iteration of that product, while Moy was a top-line engineer with Nvidia for seven years and worked on both the first GPUs as well as the G80. Details on ICube’s silicon are still limited, but the expertise of the two men helps shed a bit of light on what the chip looks like.

The Harmony Unified Processing Architecture (and the first iteration of that architecture, the IC1) are described as consisting of “the Multi-Thread Virtual Pipeline parallel computing core (MVP), an independent instruction set architecture, an optimizing compiler, and the Agile Switch dynamic load balancer.” Elsewhere, the chip is described as a “parallel computing stream processor core.” We also know, based on available literature, that the chip uses both SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) and SMT (Simultaneous Multi-Threading).

VR-Zone describes the chip as an “elegant 32-bit RISC core, not unlike the original MIPS.” The IC1 implements 4-way SMT; each core can operate on up to four threads. The UPU approach means that execution resources, memory space, and register data is shared across the entire chip — there’s no such thing as a “CPU workload” versus a “GPU workload.”

The IC1 is designed for handheld and mobile devices and runs Android. The company’s efforts in this area could be seen as the “other” arm of China’s initiative to develop its own competitive CPU architectures. Much of the research to date has focused on the country’s Loongson/Godson-3 processors, which can be found in China’s homegrown supercomputers, but these are chips intended for mainstream PC form factors and homegrown supercomputers. ICube’s IC1 gives China a homegrown alternative for building its own phones and devices rather than being beholden to foreign companies for hardware.

Where are the x86 versions?
In AMD’s case, on the way — but not for a few years. Intel’s plans on this front are less clear. Larrabee, Intel’s onetime GPU project that became the basis for the Knights Corner Many Integrated Core (MIC) co-processor, was a CPU-GPU hybrid. There’s no reason Intel couldn’t eventually integrate a MIC-style design alongside a conventional CPU architecture.

The question of whether or not AMD and Intel would ever adopt a homogeneous approach to CPU and GPU calculations is interesting — but we’re inclined to think they wouldn’t. The entire reason GPUs evolved in the first place is that it makes more sense to do certain types of work with specialized architectures.

Shrinking process technology may have made it cost efficient to reintegrate those functions on-die, but no one has yet designed a traditional x86 CPU that delivered high-end GPU performance. It simply may not make sense to do so.

New details surface on the UPU: A next-generation CPU architecture | ExtremeTech

Last edited:
Why do we waste time here? India is the most innovative in Asia!

You misunderstand me.
I never said that India is any way near China in defence industry. No I didn't say it. It is a fact that we are pathetically reliant on foreign technology.

What I say is, that I ACCEPT this.

I have been hearing from Chinese members here for so long, confidently proclaiming that there was no chance in hell that they will buy S400. But, this didn't happen.

So what I am saying is, that obviously China's defence industry is far more advanced than India's in almost every sphere, but they are not as advanced as some members here make out to be.

You misunderstand me.
I never said that India is any way near China in defence industry. No I didn't say it. It is a fact that we are pathetically reliant on foreign technology.

I have been hearing from Chinese members here for so long, confidently proclaiming that there was no chance in hell that they will buy S400. But, this didn't happen.

So what I am saying is, that obviously China's defence industry is far more advanced than India's in almost every sphere, but they are not as advanced as some members here make out to be.

First lets wait for the real confirmation because on the site of Rosoboronexport nothing has been mentioned about selling S400 to China. And even if the deal appears to be real, i don't see any problem with it. Perhaps this Russian tech is still more advance than what China has, who knows.

Mike, you need to relax my friend. LOL

The truth is the OS developers, namely Microsoft Window, Apple OS, and Google Android, have to support those architecture. ARM would be useless without Google. That's why there is no point in us creating a new architecture if none of the big OS support it. This is why I feel it is hopeless for us to create a new CPU for consumer. In high end server, it is a different story, though. High-end server don't use any of the consumer OS but rather Linux. Linux is open and allow us to make CPU to run on it without subject for blackmail from the West major OS developers such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

Mike, you need to relax my friend. LOL

The truth is the OS developers, namely Microsoft Window, Apple OS, and Google Android, have to support those architecture. ARM would be useless without Google. That's why there is no point in us creating a new architecture if none of the big OS support it. This is why I feel it is hopeless for us to create a new CPU for consumer. In high end server, it is a different story, though. High-end server don't use any of the consumer OS but rather Linux. Linux is open and allow us to make CPU to run on it without subject for blackmail from the West major OS developers such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

To be frank, you can still get your own architecture accepted in the world, if it promises significant advantages. ARM's architecture was adopted because of its power efficiency. You if your architecture gives significant advantaages to merit a whole rewriting of the industry by development of dedicated compilers, softwares, OS etc. Then you can win.

Huawei launches revolutionary new XXL smartphone

April 16, 2015 5:10 AM

wpid-p8-4colours.jpg.jpeg

Ceremoniously presented on Wednesday, April 15 in London, the Huawei P8 and P8 Max, 5.2 and 6.8 inches respectively, represent the latest luxury offered by the Chinese manufacturer. Huawei has thus effectively stolen the thunder of the LG G4, whose launch is scheduled for April 28.

The Huawei P8 is an elegantly designed smartphone, in line with what Apple and HTC offer, with a 5.2 inch (1920x1080) screen. It is also thinner (6.4mm) than the industry leaders, the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S6.

As for components, the device features a 64-bit 2GHz octa-core Kirin 930 CPU, 3GB of RAM, 16 to 64GB of storage and the possibility of adding a MicroSD slot if available storage becomes an issue.

Incredible photos

The Chinese manufacturer has chosen to emphasize its video sensors. The P8 features a 13 megapixel rear camera which Huawei claims is the first in the world to feature a four-color RGBW sensor, a double flash LED and Optical Image Stabilizer technology up to 1.2°, enabling high-quality photos and videos, and managing camera shake so images are consistently sharp. As for video, the Huawei P8's Director Mode allows users to direct and control up to three other Android phones when shooting a video scene from four angles simultaneously, and also to synchronize video clip editing. The P8 also introduces a powerful new Selfie mode for the 8 megapixel frontal camera, allowing preset image enhancement settings to capture and customize perfect portraits every time.

Where battery life is concerned, the P8 promises 36 hours of normal use thanks to its 2680mAh battery and Kirin 930 Octa-Core 64-bit chipset, performance that outpaces the rest of the smartphone market by 20 percent. Performance can even be improved by using a firewall that controls the background consumption of every app. During the presentation, Huawei also mentioned the possibility of attaching a new 4.3 inch e-ink screen to the phone, allowing users to read books or access practical information such as the weather all while conserving battery life.

A 6.8 inch smartphone

The Huawei P8 will also be available in a supersized 6.8 inch version. Despite this substantial size, the manufacturer promises that it fits perfectly in a pants or jacket pocket. In this size category, the Huawei P8 Max is even thinner (6.9mm) than its competition, mainly the iPhone 6 Plus and the Galaxy Note 4.

The Huawei P8 will be "available soon," for €499 (16GB) and €599 (64GB). The P8 Max will retail for €549 (32GB) and €649 (64GB). They will both use Android Lollipop (5.0) stylized by Huawei's Emotion UI and have dual 4G SIM card support with two flexible card slots.

Discover the Huawei P8 in video: youtu.be/ftz_kpaLefg

Huawei launches revolutionary new XXL smartphone - Yahoo News

Huawei announce the P8 and P8 Max

Over the years Huawei have been making a steady stream of well specified, great looking and well priced devices. Earning them a place near the top of the pile of phone manufacturers. Today we’ve been in London at the launch of their latest devices, the P8 and P8 Max. As you’d expect they’re both a bit of a looker.

Key points about the whole package are…
  • 13 MP RGBW Camera with OIS.
  • One piece aluminium construction.
  • Dual Nano SIM with Micro SD functionality.
  • Enhanced audio quality to reduce background noise.
  • Lollipop.
  • Double click on volume button to capture shots quickly.
  • Fancy camera modes from everything from star tracking to super HDR modes.
  • Enhanced network connectivity.
  • Ridiculously thin at 6.4mm.
Spec wise it’s as follows
  • Processor: HiSilicon Kirin 930/935 64 bit Octo Core chip.
  • Display: 1080p 5.2″ IPS, LCD Gorilla Glass 3, 424 PPI, 1080×1920.
  • Internal Memory: 32GB + Micro SD slot up to 64GB.
  • RAM: 3GB.
  • Rear Camera: 13 MP RGBW OIS with DSLR ISP.
  • Front Camera: 8 MP.
  • Connectivity: HSDPA, LTE 4G, WiFi a/b/g/n dual band, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC.
  • Battery: Li-Po 2680 mAh.
  • Extras: USB Host.
  • Android 5.
Keep your eyes on the site for a hands on article with the P8, it just a matter of me taking hundreds of pictures and a few videos. In the meantime here are the official release images. I’ll add the link here when it is ready.

You could do worse than checking out our live blog page here which contains a lot of the slides from the presentation.

I’ll be updating this article later with specs on the P8 Max. Which seem to have been missed.

In the meantime salivate over these two images.:enjoy:

Huawei announce the P8 and P8 Max - Coolsmartphone

You misunderstand me.

True they have moved ahead/are catching up very fast. Its true they are wayyy ahead of india, but tgey still lag the west/U.S, Russia and even Japan (in some fields). So its easy for most Chinese members to get carried away by their advancements (forgetting many of what they are just building/doing has been done by more established western powers and Russia a while ago and more) . so its always good to be pragmatic, humble and even play down your capabilities than otherwise, especially when you are not yet on top.

Why can't uk build its own internet engine and all attacking google. Or didn't uk invent internet why can't the so called advanced amd chip nation produce its internet giants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom