What's new

HQ-19

launch-of-hq-19-missile-intercepter-2.jpg

Clear photo of HQ-19 anti-missile intercept missile.

graphic-showing-china-major-institutes-for-tests-of-central-stage-anti-missile-technology.jpg

Graphic showing the locations of the major institutes regarded in foreign media’s speculation as centers of China’s test of central stage anti-missile technology.

graphic-showing-foreign-media-speculation-of-the-future-deployment-of-long-range-early-warning-radar.jpg

Graphic showing foreign media speculation of the future deployment of long-range early warning radars in Xinjiang, Guizhou and Shandong in China’s anti-missile interception system.

In its recent post titled “HQ-19 Anti-missile Intercept Missile”, US global security.org website reveals its speculation based on published information on details of China’s HQ-19 anti-missile intercept missile. It believes that HQ-19 is similar in functions to US THAAD anti-missile intercept missile and that HQ-19 played a major role in China’s two ground-based midcourse anti-missile tests in 2010 and 2013.

However, the speculation is proved wrong by a recent blurred photo of the HQ-19 missile test appeared at a Chinese website. The missile is more similar in functions to the lengthened-range THAAD or Standard Missile 3 that the US is developing. It is capable of intercepting a target inside or outside the atmosphere.

Exposure of HQ-19 attracts people’s interest in China’s large, complicated and ambitious plan to develop its anti-missile arsenal.

Foreign media believes that China’s development of the midcourse anti-missile technology aims mainly for national security instead of nuclear strategic balance. They believe that Chinese anti-ballistic missile system consists of 6 kinds of missiles: HQ-9B, HQ-19, HQ-26 (similar to ground-based Standard Missile 3), HQ-29 (similar to PAC-3), DN-1 and DN2 (similar to US GMD). There are three layers of defense. The first is midcourse interception mainly by DN series of missiles to intercept missiles outside the atmosphere. It is the key layer of China’s missile defense system. The second is a layer to intercept missile inside, outside or at the edge of the atmosphere. It mainly relied on HQ-19 and HQ-26 for missile interception. The third layer is the terminal stage interception layer that mainly uses HQ-9B and HQ-29 for interception at the terminal stage.

China succeeded in testing midcourse anti-missile intercept technology in its DN-1 missile on January 11, 2010. Later, it successfully tested the technology again on January 27, 2013. Analysts believe that China has obtained initial mastery of the technology.

DN-1 and later DN-2 are China’s most advanced midcourse intercept missiles similar to US GMD system. However, as they lack the support of effective early warning radar, they remain at testing stage.

Foreign media believes that China has obtained the technology in order to intercept the ICBMs from large nuclear power. That is not correct. It is impossible for China to intercept such a large number of first-strike ICBMs a large nuclear power has. China’s strategic nuclear deterrence relies on its second-strike strength. The anti-missile intercept missiles can only be used to intercept a few ICBMs fired at China by mistake.

The midcourse intercept technology is mainly used to intercept the small number of ballistic missiles from a small nuclear power such as India.

Source: Huangqiu

The photo is of an US THAAD.

It's a missile of Chinese midcourse missile defense system, so definitly not HQ-19

The photo is not necessarily related to the midcourse test.

SC-19 :cheers::lol:

HQ-19 was first test-fired in 2003.

As I understand it:

- DN-1/2: midcourse / ASAT interceptors
- HQ-19: THAAD-ER equivalent, tested 2003
- HQ-26: SM-3 counterpart, not yet tested
- HQ-29: PAC-3 counterpart, tested 2011

SC-19 refers to the booster of the aforementioned systems and not necessarily a missile in and of itself.

There is also HQ-18 the "AWACS Killer" with a range of over 400km. :woot:

If you mean the one with solid-liquid ramjet (SLRR), that I guess you would like to say HQ-8, and not HQ-18...

Last time I heard something about it, it seems that the development runs into trouble.

Henri K.

It's a missile of Chinese midcourse missile defense system, so definitly not HQ-19

You mean this one ?

EVP7hDm.jpg

Henri K.

If you mean the one with solid-liquid ramjet (SLRR), that I guess you would like to say HQ-8, and not HQ-18...

Last time I heard something about it, it seems that the development runs into trouble.

Henri K.

You mean this one ?

EVP7hDm.jpg

Henri K.

According to your blog, the 2010 ABM test involved an endo-atmospheric HQ-19 interceptor. Was the exo-atmospheric DN-1/2 tested?

Henri K.

You mean this one ?

EVP7hDm.jpg

Henri K.

I don't think this is a midcourse interceptor either, but I am not sure what it is

According to your blog, the 2010 ABM test involved an endo-atmospheric HQ-19 interceptor. Was the exo-atmospheric DN-1/2 tested?

I don't think I have said that it is an endo for the 2010's test. When the interception took place at 250km altitude, it was clearly an exo one.

Same thing for 2013.

For DN-1, maybe this picture gives us some hints -

ti8IIn1.jpg

Henri K.

112800vhwisvhhj2a5hhme.jpg

HQ-19由航天科技二/四院研发,工程代号:863-801专题(KKV)。总师孙连举,2003年首次试射。HQ-19可实现防御洲际弹道导弹高空末段拦截也可对中短程弹道导弹实现飞行中段拦截反导。
115158cckf2jcbkcedy4j2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom