What's new

How the U.S. Navy is Trying to Make China's 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles Obsolete

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
The U.S. Navy and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency successfully launched a salvo of two Raytheon Standard SM-6 Dual I missiles against a medium-range ballistic missile target earlier this week. USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53)—an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer—conducted the test shortly after midnight on Dec. 14 to demonstrate a Sea Based Terminal endo-atmospheric defensive capability.

"This test demonstrated the capabilities MDA and the Navy are delivering to our fleet commanders," Vice Adm. Jim Syring, director of the MDA said in a statement. "The SM-6 missile and the Aegis Weapon System continue to prove that they are critical components of our nation's multilayered, robust ballistic missile defense system."

During the test, John Paul Jones—which is fitted with the latest Baseline 9.C1 version of the Aegis combat system—engaged a “complex medium-range ballistic missile target.” That suggests that the target was representative of a maneuvering incoming warhead similar to the ones mounted on the Chinese DF-21D or DF-26 anti-ship ballistic missiles.

If MDA test was indeed representative of a DF-21D or DF-26 type threat, it would help to explain why the U.S. Navy is so confident of its ability to operate inside those weapons’ threat rings. Earlier this year, I directly asked the U.S. Navy’s Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. John Richardson, if he was confident in the ability of the aircraft carrier and its air wing to fight inside an A2/AD zone protected by anti-ship cruise and ballistic missiles as well as advanced air defenses. Richardson’s unequivocal answer was: “Yes.”

The MDA also revealed an interesting fact about the SM-6 missile. Unlike other ballistic missile interceptors, the SM-6 uses an explosive warhead to defeat ballistic missile threats. Other missile defense interceptors—such as the Raytheon Standard SM-3—use kinetic-energy hit-to-kill technology. The explosive warhead is likely required for the missile’s multi-mission capability.

The SM-6 is rapidly becoming a multipurpose wonder-weapon of sorts. While the SM-6 was originally designed to provide the Navy’s surface combatants—such as the Ticonderoga-class missile cruisers and Arleigh Burke-class destroyers—an expanded over-the-horizon air defense capability against enemy aircraft and cruise missiles as part at the Naval Integrated Fire Control – Counter Air construct, it has been adapted to other purposes.

In addition to countering air threat, it has been adapted for ballistic missile defense and as a long-range anti-ship weapon. Earlier this year, John Paul Jones sank the decommissioned Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Reuben James (FFG 57) with a SM-6 missile. “This test event demonstrated Raytheon's decades of continued technological development and partnership with the U.S. Navy,” said Dr. Taylor Lawrence, president of Raytheon’s missile systems division, in a statement released on March 7. “The ability to leverage the Standard Missile Family and the legacy AWS [Aegis Weapon System] in newly fielded systems brings additional warfighting capability to the U.S. Fleet.”

Finding multiple uses for the SM-6 was the brainchild of the Pentagon’s Strategic Capabilities Office. “It took an anti-air missile—excellent missile—of the Navy's and figured out how to make it also capable of attacking ships. Very sophisticated, long-range, fast, very lethal weapon. And we had bought it for one reason. They found a way to use it in another way as well, sort of doubling the value of our investment,” Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told reporters on Nov. 17. “That's the kind of thing we've gotten out of the SCO. Very creative group of people that work with and for all the services and help them figure out how to be even more innovative with the programs they have.”

Indeed, the U.S. Navy seems to have hit the jackpot with the SM-6—which by all indications is an excellent weapon. If it proves to be effective against the Chinese DF-21D and DF-26, it may well help preserve America’s access to Western Pacific.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...ing-make-chinas-carrier-killer-missiles-18766

Has this system tested against a salvo of a dozen DF-21D? A dozen of DF-21D is still cheaper than a AB destroyer.

Not to mention 2 dozen DF-21D against a CVN. :enjoy:

Brother I m sure China isn't sitting quietly either. I expect to see a ramjet based carrier killer in the future :yahoo:

That's something so-called C O N F I D E N C E. Let the huge assets be put on the table... I mean the vast sea.

At the end of the day, only the hard assets do the real talking! The anti-ship [A2/AD] vs the anti-anti-ship (anti^2-ship) [anti-A2/AD]... :rolleyes: but hopefully we all don't need to see the real tests. I still much value peace, if possible....

Has this system tested against a salvo of a dozen DF-21D? A dozen of DF-21D is still cheaper than a AB destroyer.

Not to mention 2 dozen DF-21D against a CVN. :enjoy:

It seems that there are two types of missiles in the video, deploying is DF-21 and launched ones are DF-11 ?

DF -11 ?
DF.jpg

df11.jpg

ar_ssm_df11_m04.jpg

DF-21
DF2.png

truck-for-the-missiles1.jpg

For Scud alike, it needs just Patriot interceptors

Last edited:
US is looking for a wonder weapon to safe guard its larger surface ships (aircraft carriers, destroyers, etc) which are fast becoming obsolete in the presence of satellites, AWACs, long range missiles, stealth and much improved ISR technologies. I am sure China will develop counter measures for this missile as well and render US Navy ineffective in South China Sea.

It's very normal to test the weapon against new threat.
there're many uncertain things during war, secret weapons, new feature, tactic ...
but they always try their best to make target missile for the test.

there'd be many more uncertain things.

To admit, I like that SM-6

Last edited:
US is looking for a wonder weapon to safe guard its larger surface ships (aircraft carriers, destroyers, etc) which are fast becoming obsolete in the presence of satellites, AWACs, long range missiles, stealth and much improved ISR technologies. I am sure China will develop counter measures for this missile as well and render US Navy ineffective in South China Sea.
This is the same military that predicted the US would have Vietnam War era casualty -- tens of thousands -- for Desert Storm. And you are speaking from personal experience in the military ?

This is the same military that predicted the US would have Vietnam War era casualty -- tens of thousands -- for Desert Storm. And you are speaking from personal experience in the military ?
Where was china at the time of desert storm ? and where is it now ? US world domination is coming to an end, if you are too blind to see it then i cant help.

Where was china at the time of desert storm ? and where is it now ? US world domination is coming to an end, if you are too blind to see it then i cant help.

To be quite fair, China will ALWAYS be regional force, China lacking soft power means they would have no way to challenge outside of their sphere of influence. On the other hand, US have bases (their own bases, not allied) all over the world, that is the prerequisit for being a World Dominant force.

Until that day China can start land grapping outside their sphere of influence, China will never be a global force, and hence China pose no real threat to the US outside of Asia.

The term World Domination mean the world, not just in Asia. Even so, US is not leaving Asia anytime soon or in any sort of near future.

On topic, as I said before, DF-series missile is a point to point attack weaponry, as said before, ASBM is not sole right for the Chiense, there is a reason why US chew on the idea of ASBM in the 70s and dropped it. If you want to see DF-series is a wonder weapon then be my guest, but in fact, to the people who actually know their military, those missile does not do much. Other than it is a talking point in a forum like this.

To be quite fair, China will ALWAYS be regional force, China lacking soft power means they would have no way to challenge outside of their sphere of influence. On the other hand, US have bases (their own bases, not allied) all over the world, that is the prerequisit for being a World Dominant force.

Until that day China can start land grapping outside their sphere of influence, China will never be a global force, and hence China pose no real threat to the US outside of Asia.

The term World Domination mean the world, not just in Asia. Even so, US is not leaving Asia anytime soon or in any sort of near future.

On topic, as I said before, DF-series missile is a point to point attack weaponry, as said before, ASBM is not sole right for the Chiense, there is a reason why US chew on the idea of ASBM in the 70s and dropped it. If you want to see DF-series is a wonder weapon then be my guest, but in fact, to the people who actually know their military, those missile does not do much. Other than it is a talking point in a forum like this.
Chinese weapons are improving every passing day. I can guarantee you that. The gap is closing fast

The U.S. Navy and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency successfully launched a salvo of two Raytheon Standard SM-6 Dual I missiles against a medium-range ballistic missile target earlier this week. USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53)—an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer—conducted the test shortly after midnight on Dec. 14 to demonstrate a Sea Based Terminal endo-atmospheric defensive capability.

"This test demonstrated the capabilities MDA and the Navy are delivering to our fleet commanders," Vice Adm. Jim Syring, director of the MDA said in a statement. "The SM-6 missile and the Aegis Weapon System continue to prove that they are critical components of our nation's multilayered, robust ballistic missile defense system."

The DF series of missile have become a thing of the past. In fact, the naming convention should be DF-H1 or DF-H21, etc. Where "H" represents "Historical" aka, the past, old schools tech :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom