What's new

How Pakistani-Americans are entering interfaith and interracial marriages — and making them work

That's messed up. People say similar things about other races and nationalities. Doesn't make it okay. I'm half Indian and half Pakistani. There's good people on both sides.

I blame your parents for having to put you through this identity crisis. I feel bad for you, because you truly don't belong to anyone. I think you should try your hand at Australian identity.

Awans and Arains barely marry outside their own clan, and this persons mother found a husband across the border. I'm a bit skeptical. :mod:

Actually, one of my closest friends was invited to the marriage of his friend's daughter, a Gujarati Hindu girl, with a Pakistani Muslim boy in California.

That's messed up. People say similar things about other races and nationalities. Doesn't make it okay. I'm half Indian and half Pakistani. There's good people on both sides.
I apologize if I have offended you in any sort of way. I am also half Pakistani so i know how you feel exactly

Actually, one of my closest friends was invited to the marriage of his friend's daughter, a Gujarati Hindu girl, with a Pakistani Muslim boy in California.

Was the guy Awan?

I apologize if I have offended you in any sort of way. I am also half Pakistani so i know how you feel exactly

My cousin is half Ukranian half Pakistani and he's always been really confused. He prefers Ukranian women, but Pakistani food. Quite the catch 22 for him.

Awans and Arains barely marry outside their own clan, and this persons mother found a husband across the border. I'm a bit skeptical. :mod:

You know what? I honestly did not have any nefarious designs when I asked him those questions on a different thread. I mean, even I am only Awan from my father's side, so I was curious to know how this other mixed couple came together.

But yeah, you are right. Some Awans do not even give their daughters to Rajputs, only Syeds and other chiefs. They are very picky.

Ah, I get it now.

Like the tiger, you store your kill and feed off it over several days.

Could we describe this as, um, a 'rich' feast?

Lol no. I am just playing with him. Haven't even moved in for the kill yet. :sarcastic:

Closeted racism can't be seen my friend but that doesn't mean it's not there. You will never come across those types of indians unless you share the same exact views as them.

I was born in the bronx and currently moved back there from DC district.

No doubt.
But if it is closeted racism, how did you come about uncovering it? Wouldn't that negate the whole idea of it if it is overt?
Also, the closeted racists you speak of usually confide within their own community. I'm yet to come across an Indian who hates Pakistanis with the passion you speak of.
And mind you I've been living in Manhattan for the past 12 years and am yet to witness this.

Not saying your experience isn't true, I'm sure there are bad apples on both sides of the fence. My experience with Pakistanis has been excellent. Not sure why you've had this problem.

Oh well..C'est La Vie!

Was the guy Awan?

No idea. He was leading up to this to explain the kind of family the father had been in, to justify his being invited to join insaniyat.

My cousin is half Ukranian half Pakistani and he's always been really confused. He prefers Ukranian women, but Pakistani food. Quite the catch 22 for him.

Picks well, doesn't he?

No idea. He was leading up to this to explain the kind of family the father had been in, to justify his being invited to join insaniyat.

Picks well, doesn't he?

It's the tribal mindset that precedes even religion in certain areas of Pakistan.

No doubt.
But if it is closeted racism, how did you come about uncovering it? Wouldn't that negate the whole idea of it if it is overt?
Also, the closeted racists you speak of usually confide within their own community. I'm yet to come across an Indian who hates Pakistanis with the passion you speak of.
And mind you I've been living in Manhattan for the past 12 years and am yet to witness this.

Not saying your experience isn't true, I'm sure there are bad apples on both sides of the fence. My experience with Pakistanis has been excellent. Not sure why you've had this problem.

Oh well..C'est La Vie!

...mais ce n'est pas la guerre!

Ce qu'elle veut dire, c'est que quand vous ne regardez pas, ils vous font des grimaces.

My experience with Indians in NYC is that Sikhs, Nepalis, Bengalis and a lot of South Indians are ok. The rest, not so much.

All the best to them, but I feel it must be said that it is forbidden by Muslim law to marry outside your faith for a woman, and for man is it is allowed but not be encouraged i.e. the people of the book.

It's only advised in Islamic culture to not marry with people of no faith!

It's the tribal mindset that precedes even religion in certain areas of Pakistan.

In fact, I wanted to add this bit to the note on caste I was writing for one of your compatriots. I never finished it, but in the East and in the South, this is how tribes were absorbed; they each formed a separate caste, what they called endogamous castes, meaning they would only marry within themselves. If you look at south Indian 'castes', other than the Brahmins, the whole pack of them are distinct from the others, even their food and culture is often distinct. So, too, in Bengal; you can easily make out who have been absorbed as entire tribes and converted into a caste.

This whole business, as you said of a different society, was orthogonal to religion. It precedes religion in almost all areas of India.

In the Muzaffarnagar riots in western UP, the Jats attacked the Muslims, but left the Ranghars alone.

My experience with Indians in NYC is that Sikhs, Nepalis, Bengalis and a lot of South Indians are ok. The rest, not so much.

Where are all these race wars happening in NYC?!!
Have I been living under a rock?! lol

Back
Top Bottom