What's new

How many languages you can speak?

Well, My dad was Mexican and my mother is Vietnamese Chinese, and I lived in Hong Kong, so I learn Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin from a very early age, English is my mother tongue and I learn Japanese because of the anime culture bringing up in Hong Kong

My wife is Swedish so I learned some Swedish for my citizenship exam, French and German I learn in school and Arabic was because of my deployment .

Finally I used to have a Filipino maid so I know some tagalog
What about Vietnamese? I understand it is different from Cantonese and Mandarin....

english , hindi , telugu , kannada

can read & understand sanskrit but can't speak fluently

What about Vietnamese? I understand it is different from Cantonese and Mandarin....

lol even my mum don't know much Vietnamese....

Most Chinese in Vietnam speak Chinese, they are a lot different from Cantonese and Mandarin but Vietnamese tend to understand Cantonese.

English and Hindi proper

can understand most of Urdu but not 100% proficient in it.

a little bit of Punjabi
^not including cuss words

gaalis I know in: tamil, sinhalese, konkan, malayalam, german and hebrew lol :jester:

I speak Urdu, Arabic, English, Hindi, Punjabi

LOL not a lot of difference between urdu & hindi , we know neither you can speak shudh hindi nor can i speak shudh urdu , but to a level of understanding can be achieved , hence i can understand most of the pakistani shows that i watch on youtube which are in urdu.

or else for me also +1 , as i can speak urdu

I can speak
  • English
  • Urdu
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi
I can read
  • English
  • Urdu
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Spanish
  • Norwegian
I can write
  • English
  • Urdu
I can also partially understand Bengali & Gujarati and usually understand most of the sermon given by local Iman during the Friday prayers in one of my local Mosque/Community Centre.

I am also able to partially understand the most popular European languages due to their proximity with English language and little bit of exposure to these languages in all my life even though the pronunciation may not be accurate. It is also because of my frequent travels to the mentioned language speaking countries and having been engaged in interaction with the locals for different reasons.

Last edited:
Norwegian

I am also able to partially understand the most popular European languages due to their proximity with English language

Definitivt, Norske aksjer en felles rot med Engelsk (og Svensk , de er nesten identiske ) og noen ord kan leses og forstås uten å vite eller forstå språket. Men... det er aldri nok til å vite hele samtalen uten en mer dyptgående forståelse.
:partay:

Definitivt, Norske aksjer en felles rot med Engelsk (og Svensk, er de nesten identiske ) og noen ord kan leses selv uten å vite språket. Men... det er aldri nok til å vite hele samtalen:partay:.
I didn't claim to understand it fluently. Just a spoken language for basic stuff

and Google translator helps to understand just anything so it doesn't matter how many languages you claim here, you will be understand everything thanks to the technology.

I can speak English, Urdu and Khowar(Chitrali) and Shina. Can understand and speak a bit of Burushiski(hunzik language), and due to having some pathan friends can also understand and speak a bit of Pashto, mostly understand it. And same is the case with Punjabi, can understand it, only if someone speaks it slowly.

I can always teach you Khowar(Chitrali), quite easy.

Due to excess exposure to Indian dramas at young age i can somewhat understand Hindi, not too different from Urdu. Then again it's bits and pieces, lol.
I was expecting you in this thread :-D in previous thread i came to know that you know almost 7-8 languages
Btw on topic
Urdu
Pashtu
Punjabi
Hinko peshawari
Hinko pahari ( hazara division)
Angreejee :-D
Banochi
Khattaki
Afridi
Waziri
A little bit darri ( persian)
Bus :-D :-D

Google translator helps to understand just anything.

Except Urdu, it doesn't even recognize that:(. Or maybe I can't tell the difference between the many languages found here on PDF:D.

I didn't claim to understand it fluently. Just a spoken language for basic stuff

And I wasn't saying you are fluent, actually I was acknowledging that Norwegian, and similar languages such as Swedish have words are that can be ascertained by English-only speakers/readers due to their similarly to English words, of course contexts helps too - such as accompanying pictures. Sometimes you don't need to know the language to understand it, but you'll never have the complete picture.

For a fun lesson in contextual cues helping a foreign speaker understand a non-familiar language, head here and try your luck:

Nordic Defense News, pictures, videos and history | Page 17

You'll understand some of the captions and conversations.

Google Trans slags suger på sette Norsk:lol:.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom