What's new

How do we make PDF better?

@WebMaster @Manticore @WAJsal @Arsalan
@waz

Is there a way to check the post with highest number of thanks and positive ratings on a thread?
Afaik,such an option exists on xenforo which shows most liked posts per-forum and per-thread (optionally integrated with Post Ratings).
Filtering out best Posts makes the forum useful to a wider audience by making your best content more easily accessible.
Can admin make this feature available to us?
This feature will be very helpful in threads with queries.

Post ratings are nothing..

For example..

This is a positive rated comment.

stralth postive.JPG

Post ratings are nothing..

For example..

This is a positive rated comment.

View attachment 345477
I usually interpret forum posts like this:

Thanks =
  • I like your post
  • I like your post and agree with you
  • I read your post and don't disagree with you
  • I respect your opinion and don't want to debate any further
Positive =
  • Double Thanks
  • Better than I like your post
  • You deserve to be paid for this post
Negative =
  • I don't like your post opposite of Thanks giving
  • I hate you
  • I wanna kill you and get my frustration out by hitting the negative rating button

I usually interpret forum posts like this:

Thanks =
  • I like your post
  • I like your post and agree with you
  • I read your post and don't disagree with you
  • I respect your opinion and don't want to debate any further
Positive =
  • Double Thanks
  • Better than I like your post
  • You deserve to be paid for this post
Negative =
  • I don't like your post opposite of Thanks giving
  • I hate you
  • I wanna kill you and get my frustration out by hitting the negative rating button

Same here. Despite the example provided by spark I personally hold positive ratings in high esteem as I have seen many good posts and many amazing posts get them.

My point of gauging the skill of a poster is by his posts as well as his negative to positive ratio. You can claim victim if you have lots of negative ratings but its your own fault if you don't have positive ratings bcz you have not provided oe cant provide amazing enough posts.

Same here. Despite the example provided by spark I personally hold positive ratings in high esteem as I have seen many good posts and many amazing posts get them.

My point of gauging the skill of a poster is by his posts as well as his negative to positive ratio. You can claim victim if you have lots of negative ratings but its your own fault if you don't have positive ratings bcz you have not provided oe cant provide amazing enough posts.
I actually don't take the ranking system so seriously. I also believe like SpArk pointed out that Rating system often get abused when too many friends will be giving positive rating to each other. There are some genuinely good members who make all effort to write a good post but often only get satisfied by the number of Thanks they received and there are some members who would get Positive and Negative rating which doesn't make sense to me at all.

I actually don't take the ranking system so seriously. I also believe like SpArk pointed out that Rating system often get abused when too many friends will be giving positive rating to each other. There are some genuinely good members who make all effort to write a good post but often only get satisfied by the number of Thanks they received and there are some members who would get Positive and Negative rating which doesn't make sense to me at all.

Every system has its own negative and positive and considering that rankings can be questioned and checked, there are check and balances.

I see many posters moan about how they have been treated unfairly by mods and TT in negative ratings ( after they fail to get it reversed) but after looking at those posts, you will find that those posts had issues that can justify a negative.

I have also seen many poor posts that deserve ratings get ignored and I have seen many positive posts that deserve positive ratings get ignored. I account this to their lacknof presence or difference of opinion after all we all carry a level of bias and yes friendship is a factor as well.

Like all system this too has negatives and positives but it has largely positives.

My experience has been largely positive for the system.

PDF can never be better than what it was in the 2009-2012 era.

It is ghanghor chutyapa now. Residents and management alike.

Because you've driven the select talent away. And left the mullas and low IQs. Many of whom trawl the net, write an essay, and become Think Tanks.

@lastofthepatriots @Syed.Ali.Haider

Last edited:
This error comes up mostly when i click on any notification in defence.pk app

Attachments

• 1477314631262.jpg
    1477314631262.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27

rating system is overrated
i have made an effort to rate good posts

Then there are people like me who have the power to give + or - ratings, but don't because I only give them to things I'm interested in. And since I'm the only person who contributes to the thread I'm interested in most, I don't hand out + or - ratings.

To me the - ratings are strange anyway. Why give a - rating when reporting the comment is equally effective or warranted? - Ratings are used to punishing garbage comments, or at least they are supposed to be. More often then not they are used to silence dissenting views. But what good is giving a - rating for a trollish or abusive comment with the forum's report feature was designed to deal with the same?

As for + ratings. If I don't care about it, I don't read it. If I don't read it, no matter its quality or depth, it's not getting a rating from me.

Sorry. But that's how it is.

Then there are people like me who have the power to give + or - ratings, but don't because I only give them to things I'm interested in. And since I'm the only person who contributes to the thread I'm interested in most, I don't hand out + or - ratings.

To me the - ratings are strange anyway. Why give a - rating when reporting the comment is equally effective or warranted? - Ratings are used to punishing garbage comments, or at least they are supposed to be. More often then not they are used to silence dissenting views. But what good is giving a - rating for a trollish or abusive comment with the forum's report feature was designed to deal with the same?

As for + ratings. If I don't care about it, I don't read it. If I don't read it, no matter its quality or depth, it's not getting a rating from me.

Sorry. But that's how it is.

Massaging the ego of sadists - the motto of negative ranking. This way they feel empowered and "contribute" more to the forum as if its their own. :)

You know in our side of world, the power need to be shared among a group and everyone need to be given a pie.

Moreover negative rating feud has generated the most melodramatic threads here, again to the taste of our people. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom