What's new

How Directorate S, ISI’s most Potent branch, outsmarted US in Kabul, continued subverting India

But being a Pakistani,i can tell you there is nothing known as S or SS Directorate.

There is an S Wing.

Initially, the American goal in Afghanistan was simple: destroy Al-Qaeda and capture its senior leaders. It failed on both counts. It's failure to seal off Tora Bora caused not only to let many Al-Qaeda members escape. It simply had too few resources on the ground.

Somewhere along the way it decided to engage in nation building a country that has little experience in being a nation...and here we are.

But Pakistani military officials did talk to the author. They didn't have to, of course, but they did. If only to provide their perspective regardless of the author's biases or goals. You need to get your narrative across no matter what. This is something Pakistan is very poor at.

Pakistan does this (effort / technique wise) just about as well as India. The difference in outcome / impact is simply a result of American interests in the region and their domestic politics. They need to shore up the Indian image because they need to promote India as a buffer against increasing Chinese influence in the region. They also need to deflect blame from the trillion dollar debacle in Afghanistan. Finally, they need to try and keep Pakistan in a "controlled chaos" state (perceived or real) in order to destabilize Chinese investments / CPEC. The American media machine works in concert with its geo-strategic objectives, including "prestigious" publications like the NYT. Pakistan's narrative / image efforts don't matter much given these political realities. I do agree, however, that we can do a slightly more sophisticated job.

Mubarak hou.

The Americans and Indians have known about it since the late 80s/early 90s and since then have been trying to penetrate it. They've even surveilled and tried to lure some of its officers. It's existence is pretty public --- but its mechanisms fortunately remain secret. They are truly unsung heroes.

The Americans and Indians have known about it since the late 80s/early 90s and since then have been trying to penetrate it. They've even surveilled and tried to lure some of its officers. It's existence is pretty public --- but its mechanisms fortunately remain secret. They are truly unsung heroes.

There's probably a S Directorate, but the ISI probably doesn't call it that.

The americans and Indians are trying to create a narrative that There is an S Directorate, which even ISI can't control.

Which is complete bullshit!

ISI is a very professional organization that follows the order given by it's top brass.And there is no rouge S Directorate.

The success ISI have achieved aginst the enemies of the State of Pakistan could not have been possible if there was rouge elements within ISI.

The level of succcess achieved is due the Institutional unity of thought and action by the ISI.

The Americans need a scapegoat for their failures and they are again trying to make Pakistan that scapegoat.

Was Musharraf wrong?

That war was a precursor of Imperial conquests of the Middle East. Using terror and waging war against it, US and its allies have ravaged countries. Musharraf was right. Al Qaeda was only an excuse. The hijackers did not come from Afghanistan. If they really were flying planes, they were trained quite well to glide or fly the jetliners. Not just that flying, they were able to navigate the planes.

Looking back in time, I think the world was fooled. 9/11 attack was a planned, well rehearsed terror hoax. An excuse to incite wars, plan conquests and reconfigure strategic regions.

This book on 'Directorate S' looks like a screenplay for an impending Hollywood movie. Lots of fluff, lots of rubbish and so full of over the top exaggeration.

There you go!! This is a typical line to frame Pakistan and its army to be involved in activities distasteful to the imperial master and its new found watch dog in the region. Its that type of line on which US media in concert with State Department builds a case to destroy nations. We have been there and seen that.
And, what have they got in return??? A rejuvenated China poised to take over the USA burdened under exponentially increasing debt which broke the back of the past Empires!!!!! Is it possible that somehow the Chinese did that for they're the sole beneficiary?!???!!!

There's probably a S Directorate, but the ISI probably doesn't call it that.

The americans and Indians are trying to create a narrative that There is an S Directorate, which even ISI can't control.

Which is complete bullshit!

ISI is a very professional organization that follows the order given by it's top brass.And there is no rouge S Directorate.

The success ISI have achieved aginst the enemies of the State of Pakistan could not have been possible if there was rouge elements within ISI.

The level of succcess achieved is due the Institutional unity of thought and action by the ISI.

The Americans need a scapegoat for their failures and they are again trying to make Pakistan that scapegoat.

There is an S Wing, just like there are many other wings in the ISI. Steve Coll chose the more insidious sounding "Directorate" over the word "Wing" for his book title --- but it's talking about the same set up. The Americans know about it and they've even tried to surveil and cultivate some of its officers. Fortunately, they're still pretty clueless about how it operates.

The rogue part is complete BS, of course. So is the notion that a wing within a "third world" intel agency is the prime cause of the US failure in Afghanistan. The truth is that the NATO military strategy was bound to fail against a legitimate insurgency and the CIA/State Dept political strategy of using warlords, drug dealers, etc., as politicians left a huge vacuum. It's easy to blame a foreign intelligence agency for everything.

India Pakistan heading for war, and it will be brutal. The Zion agent in Gujarat is going all out.:
express quote

Quoting such a rag should equal a ban. :laugh:

No war will happen. Skirmishes, sure. Unless it comes from the Guardian or some such quality paper, best to ignore it.

Not just going on the rag paper but my analysis too. This pint sized fascist and his band of rabid cow worshipers are capable of anything. They have calculated that bombing us across the border everyday is OK as long as they don't cross our nuclear threshold. The only problem is do they know our threshold and how quickly can that threshold be reached? What is the point of no return and what happens if the snowball effect spirals everything out of control.

Not just going on the rag paper but my analysis too. This pint sized fascist and his band of rabid cow worshipers are capable of anything. They have calculated that bombing us across the border everyday is OK as long as they don't cross our nuclear threshold. The only problem is do they know our threshold and how quickly can that threshold be reached? What is the point of no return and what happens if the snowball effect spirals everything out of control.

We need to raise the cost for Indian terrorism (Baloch mercenaries / firing on civilians across the LOC, etc) in an asymmetric way. The only problem we have right now is that the US has decided to coddle India and overlook all its transgressions because it needs to build it up (physically and perception wise) as a dependable buffer against growing Chinese influence in the region. This means that anything we do gets a 1000x bigger reaction from the West. Even though all Western intel agencies are well aware of Indian support to Baloch terrorists resulting in numerous civilian casualties on our end, there is never talk of India being a state sponsor of terrorism. This is partly due to our failure to build a credible narrative but is mostly because the West needs India to counter China. This is the new reality and we have to find a way to strike back within this new reality. It's tricky, but not impossible.

Well I plan to read the book although I am pretty sure I would be wasting my money on some pre assumed crap but still

Well I plan to read the book although I am pretty sure I would be wasting my money on some pre assumed crap but still

It’s a good book. Provides an interesting perspective on the thinking of men like Pasha and Kiyani. You won’t regret reading it.

It’s a good book. Provides an interesting perspective on the thinking of men like Pasha and Kiyani. You won’t regret reading it.

Those chapters are perhaps the only slightly new/insightful portions of the book.

Back
Top Bottom