What's new

How different are old Muslim houses in Pakistan from the Indian ones

@others: please get ready for next thread on whats the size of pajamas (salwar) nada (holding thread) in pakistan. Are they of same size of Indian muslims pajamas (salwar) and do they tie double knots, or butterfly knots or scout knot.
Good one HAHA

I tried for pics but I couldn't find one of a typical Muslim house(Urdu speaking Muslims)..
A typical Muslim house has a bit of a high wall with a door in front of the main door of the house..this door is always shut..in case of houses that don't have walls ,the front door of the house is always closed.
This is the major difference between an old Muslim and a Hindu house..Hindus generally use a purdah for the front door...they don't always keep their doors shut as it is considered inauspicious..Hindus walls are not so high..they don't have big doors to the walls..in fact they don't have any except a small gate .

I hope you got a picture of what I am saying..this is not true for houses of Kerala and Tamil nadu Muslims.

Don't mean to offend in any way, but dude you sound way too weird, houses depend on the region they r in , not religion, we have nothing to do with tamil , telugu or gujrati muslims, they are as alien to me as a pakistani as uzbeks of afghanistan are, however i consider punjabis of india , irrespective of religion, close to me since i am also from punjab

Don't mean to offend in any way, but dude you sound way too weird, houses depend on the region they r in , not religion, we have nothing to do with tamil , telugu or gujrati muslims, they are as alien to me as a pakistani as uzbeks of afghanistan are, however i consider punjabis of india , irrespective of religion, close to me since i am also from punjab
You're only right about tamil/telugu muslims, they're different but wrong about gujarati muslims, there are many Pakistanis with Gujarati origins especially in Karachi whereas 1/4th of mohajir community is from gujarat, Quaid-e-Azam,Javed Miandad,Maulana Edhi & some of the biggest businessmen of Karachi & Pakistan are Gujarati, but i understand some people might not be aware if they haven't travelled much of Pakistan

The Muslim household have both high walls and conservative clothes. Muslim women wear even wear the conservative clothes behind the high walls.
You are the only one who answered properly..thanks brother...Muslim culture across south Asia is same even if some people deny it.

In India old Muslim houses have raised walls which are pretty high than the Hindu ones..every entrance has either a gate or door which doesn't let outsiders see anything in their house..generally this gate is only a few steps away from the main door of the house.
The place in front would be very small..even then they would have this gate or door..in case there is no space in front the front door of the house would be kept shut always..you will hardly see it opened.

Of course modern Muslim houses are just like Hindu ones.
Do Pakistani Muslim houses look the same?
Do they look same from outside. In Lahore yes out side is nearly same except when they carved something on the front like elephant etc.
Inside Muslim house is divided into two parts zenana and the mehmaan khana.

Usually Muslim households have high walls to keep prying eyes at limit. They place sentries on those walls.

They have a zoo and a theme park in their courtyard exclusively for the women of the house, so that they may not have to go outside for amusement.
Some houses have a bowling alley too, although some mullahs have given a fatwa that bowling is an American thing and hence harram.
Muslims don't like dogs. so no guard-dogs. They keep tigers and leopards and lions chained to the doors instead.

Okay that's enough...

In India old Muslim houses have raised walls which are pretty high than the Hindu ones..every entrance has either a gate or door which doesn't let outsiders see anything in their house..generally this gate is only a few steps away from the main door of the house.
The place in front would be very small..even then they would have this gate or door..in case there is no space in front the front door of the house would be kept shut always..you will hardly see it opened.

Of course modern Muslim houses are just like Hindu ones.
Do Pakistani Muslim houses look the same?

Depends upon regions ... Houses in different areas of Pak are different.. and here you are comparing indian houses with the ones in Pakistan?

Traditionally we have seperate house or mehmankhana for guests (males) and a different house or portion which is seperate from it ( guest house) for the family... in rural areas... specially... our houses also have very larger courtyards and high walls... even in cities people want to have lawns etc.

You're only right about tamil/telugu muslims, they're different but wrong about gujarati muslims, there are many Pakistanis with Gujarati origins especially in Karachi whereas 1/4th of mohajir community is from gujarat, Quaid-e-Azam,Javed Miandad,Maulana Edhi & some of the biggest businessmen of Karachi & Pakistan are Gujarati, but i understand some people might not be aware if they haven't travelled much of Pakistan

lol he has no idea what he is talking about. I'm Gujarati but don't consider myself anything close to Indian or muhajir

You know Jinnah was Gujarati right?

There is a BIG difference between houses of Indian and Pakistani Muslims.

Indian Muslim houses have walls under the roof and Pakistani Muslim houses have roofs over the walls.

Hope that clears all your questions.

Houses differ across the world depending on the area. Below is a picture of my house in Harare. When back home in India, I would never think of living in such a modest home.

f74dce430ea7aafc304c5a57dea8fbbb.jpg

Architecture varied from place to place. For the most part, Hindu, Sikh and Musalman houses looked the same, but hindu architecture had a subtle difference. Hindu houses tended to have large arched windows, which acted as balcony verandas, while muslims who had an even stricter concept of segregation used smaller windows. But of course, big houses or "haveli" as they are called all over Pakistan were reserved for the rich traders and feudal classes only. Most average people lived in houses made of mud and straw, which have all faded into history.

An example of a Hindu Haveli(found in Northern Punjab):
48207820.jpg

An example of muslim haveli. It belonged to Raja Jahandad Khan of Khanpur:
salman+rashid.jpg

You might also want to look at Kitasraj temple complex, which was a Mohyal Brahmin settlement found in modern day Chakwal district . It dates back to the Hindu Shahi period (500-1000 AD):
6863201876_ee068f461b_b.jpg

Here's what the average man's houses looked like:
homeghar.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom