What's new

how did china build its infrastructure ?

ChineseTiger1986 said:
China developed its own ICBM very early is to contain the threat of USA and USSR.

USSR has the plan to nuke us in 1960s, and retakeover the control of China. Therefore, we had to develop the ability to nuke back at Moscow and St Petersburg, this would restrict the craziness of USSR warmongers.

Exactly, threat perception !

We've fought four major wars with Pakistan, so won't be surprised if there is a fight war. Add to that fact that now China and Pak are best buddies ....

India should build many strong economic sectors for civilian purpose instead of obssessing being a military superpower. Look what happened at USSR, history always repeats itself. Now it is not too late to take the reform.

Our military spending is still 2.6% of our GDP.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of countries by military expenditures

This is a list of countries by military expenditures. The first list is based on the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) database which calculates military expenditures in 2009 (in constant 2008 US$). It also includes military expenditures as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2008. The second list is based on the SIPRI Yearbook 2010 which includes a list on the world's top 15 military spenders in 2009 at current exchange rates.

SIPRI Military Expenditure Database

This list is based on the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) Military Expenditure Database which calculates military expenditure data for 2009 (in constant 2008 US$). It also includes military expenditure data as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2008.[1]

s5largestmilitaryspende.png

The world's top 5 largest military budgets in 2009. Figures sourced from SIPRI.

Rank↓ ↓ Country↓ Military expenditure, 2009[2]↓ % of GDP, 2008↓

2 China 98,800,000,000 2.0%
10 India 36,600,000,000 2.6%

note that total indian government revenue is 130 billion. fully 1/4 of the indian government budget goes to war preparations.

That is a very interesting observation.

China spends 9.9% of government tax revenues on the military (e.g. $98.8 billion out of $1 trillion dollars).

In sharp contrast, India spends 28% of government tax revenues on the military (e.g. $36.6 billion out of $130 billion dollars; see posts #258 and #275).

Below_freezing, I think you just proved that China is a peace-loving country. Congratulations.

note that total indian government revenue is 130 billion. fully 1/4 of the indian government budget goes to war preparations.

I ran a quick calculation based on the numbers from the finance ministry website
GOI Tax Income: $163 Billion USD
Non-Tax Income: $32 Billion USD
Total Planned Expenditure: $242 Billion USD (Deficit)
Military Budget: $36 Billion USD

Unless I'm missing something else, the defense budget is 14.87% of GOI's total expenditure

In addition, I know for a fact that a major chunk of the military budgets are actually returned every year since the armed forces do not end up using their yearly allocations. Furthermore, most of the increases are going towards higher pay scales for military personnel, long due up-gradation of current equipment. Capital purchases are still very low relative to other major powers.

Another point to note is that these numbers are after our 30% increase in military allocation in response to the mumbai attacks, I therefore find it justified to spend a little bit higher percentage (less than 5%more) than China since we have active threats in our environment.

Bottom-Line:
>I wouldn't call these war preparations, defensive measure is more apt.
>By numbers, China is still far ahead relative to India. Which I find justified since you guys feel a threat from the US.

Last edited:
I admire cities like Beijing,Shanghai ,Shenhehzhen.

But.
One question.
I have heard that there is a lot of difference between these few cities(5-6) and rest of China.

Please answer frankly!

I just came across one of my posts on Dalian, China. Feel free to save the picture of the city and add it to your collection.

PetroChina Completes Dalian LNG Wharf

Dalian Tours, Dalian Travel Package, Dalian Side Tours

chinadalian2.jpg

"Dalian, one of China's most vibrant and modern cities, is located on the eastern bank of the Eurasian Continent and on the southernmost part of the Liaodong Peninsula in Liaoning Province in northeastern China.

With the ideal and superb geographical location of being surrounded by the Yellow Sea to the east and the Bohai Sea to the west, Dalian is an important hub of communications in Northern China and an important international shipping center in the northeast of Asia."

PetroChina Completes Dalian LNG Wharf | LNG World News

"PetroChina Completes Dalian LNG Wharf
Posted on Sept. 2, 2010
LNG World News

chinapetrochinadalianln.jpg

PetroChina Co Ltd has completed construction of its first liquefied natural gas (LNG) wharf in the northern city of Dalian, the China Petroleum Daily reported on Thursday.

The 446-metre wharf, which includes a 150-metre trestle bridge, could dock the largest LNG carrier in the world, the company newspaper said.

The Dalian LNG project, comprising a wharf, receiving terminal and gas pipelines, is scheduled to be operational in April 2011.

PetroChina is expected to sell its 75 percent stake in the project to Kunlun Energy, a company controlled by PetroChina, and is diversifying its business into LNG supply, vehicle fuel gas and city gas from oil exploration.

Source: CNBC, September 2, 2010"

This is how china build its infrastructure :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom