What's new

How China Can Defeat America

gpit

Reaction score
By YAN XUETONG
Published: November 20, 2011

WITH China’s growing influence over the global economy, and its increasing ability to project military power, competition between the United States and China is inevitable. Leaders of both countries assert optimistically that the competition can be managed without clashes that threaten the global order.

Most academic analysts are not so sanguine. If history is any guide, China’s rise does indeed pose a challenge to America. Rising powers seek to gain more authority in the global system, and declining powers rarely go down without a fight. And given the differences between the Chinese and American political systems, pessimists might believe that there is an even higher likelihood of war.

I am a political realist. Western analysts have labeled my political views “hawkish,” and the truth is that I have never overvalued the importance of morality in international relations. But realism does not mean that politicians should be concerned only with military and economic might. In fact, morality can play a key role in shaping international competition between political powers — and separating the winners from the losers.

I came to this conclusion from studying ancient Chinese political theorists like Guanzi, Confucius, Xunzi and Mencius. They were writing in the pre-Qin period, before China was unified as an empire more than 2,000 years ago — a world in which small countries were competing ruthlessly for territorial advantage.

It was perhaps the greatest period for Chinese thought, and several schools competed for ideological supremacy and political influence. They converged on one crucial insight: The key to international influence was political power, and the central attribute of political power was morally informed leadership. Rulers who acted in accordance with moral norms whenever possible tended to win the race for leadership over the long term.

China was unified by the ruthless king of Qin in 221 B.C., but his short-lived rule was not nearly as successful as that of Emperor Wu of the Han dynasty, who drew on a mixture of legalistic realism and Confucian “soft power” to rule the country for over 50 years, from 140 B.C. until 86 B.C.

According to the ancient Chinese philosopher Xunzi, there were three types of leadership: humane authority, hegemony and tyranny. Humane authority won the hearts and minds of the people at home and abroad. Tyranny — based on military force — inevitably created enemies. Hegemonic powers lay in between: they did not cheat the people at home or cheat allies abroad. But they were frequently indifferent to moral concerns and often used violence against non-allies. The philosophers generally agreed that humane authority would win in any competition with hegemony or tyranny.

Such theories may seem far removed from our own day, but there are striking parallels. Indeed, Henry Kissinger once told me that he believed that ancient Chinese thought was more likely than any foreign ideology to become the dominant intellectual force behind Chinese foreign policy.

The fragmentation of the pre-Qin era resembles the global divisions of our times, and the prescriptions provided by political theorists from that era are directly relevant today — namely that states relying on military or economic power without concern for morally informed leadership are bound to fail.

Unfortunately, such views are not so influential in this age of economic determinism, even if governments often pay lip service to them. The Chinese government claims that the political leadership of the Communist Party is the basis of China’s economic miracle, but it often acts as though competition with the United States will be played out on the economic field alone. And in America, politicians regularly attribute progress, but never failure, to their own leadership.

Both governments must understand that political leadership, rather than throwing money at problems, will determine who wins the race for global supremacy.

Many people wrongly believe that China can improve its foreign relations only by significantly increasing economic aid. But it’s hard to buy affection; such “friendship” does not stand the test of difficult times.

How, then, can China win people’s hearts across the world? According to ancient Chinese philosophers, it must start at home. Humane authority begins by creating a desirable model at home that inspires people abroad.

This means China must shift its priorities away from economic development to establishing a harmonious society free of today’s huge gaps between rich and poor. It needs to replace money worship with traditional morality and weed out political corruption in favor of social justice and fairness.

In other countries, China must display humane authority in order to compete with the United States, which remains the world’s pre-eminent hegemonic power. Military strength underpins hegemony and helps to explain why the United States has so many allies. President Obama has made strategic mistakes in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, but his actions also demonstrate that Washington is capable of leading three foreign wars simultaneously. By contrast, China’s army has not been involved in any war since 1984, with Vietnam, and very few of its high-ranking officers, let alone its soldiers, have any battlefield experience.

America enjoys much better relations with the rest of the world than China in terms of both quantity and quality. America has more than 50 formal military allies, while China has none. North Korea and Pakistan are only quasi-allies of China. The former established a formal alliance with China in 1961, but there have been no joint military maneuvers and no arms sales for decades. China and Pakistan have substantial military cooperation, but they have no formal military alliance binding them together.

To shape a friendly international environment for its rise, Beijing needs to develop more high-quality diplomatic and military relationships than Washington. No leading power is able to have friendly relations with every country in the world, thus the core of competition between China and the United States will be to see who has more high-quality friends. And in order to achieve that goal, China has to provide higher-quality moral leadership than the United States.

China must also recognize that it is a rising power and assume the responsibilities that come with that status. For example, when it comes to providing protection for weaker powers, as the United States has done in Europe and the Persian Gulf, China needs to create additional regional security arrangements with surrounding countries according to the model of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization — a regional forum that includes China, Russia and several central Asian countries.

And politically, China should draw on its tradition of meritocracy. Top government officials should be chosen according to their virtue and wisdom, and not simply technical and administrative ability. China should also open up and choose officials from across the world who meet its standards, so as to improve its governance.

The Tang dynasty — which lasted from the 7th century to the 10th and was perhaps China’s most glorious period — employed a great number of foreigners as high-ranking officials. China should do the same today and compete with America to attract talented immigrants.

OVER the next decade, China’s new leaders will be drawn from a generation that experienced the hardships of the Cultural Revolution. They are resolute and will most likely value political principles more than material benefits. These leaders must play a larger role on the world stage and offer more security protection and economic support to less powerful countries.

This will mean competing with the United States politically, economically and technologically. Such competition may cause diplomatic tensions, but there is little danger of military clashes.

That’s because future Chinese-American competition will differ from that between the United States and the Soviet Union during the cold war. Neither China nor America needs proxy wars to protect its strategic interests or to gain access to natural resources and technology.

China’s quest to enhance its world leadership status and America’s effort to maintain its present position is a zero-sum game. It is the battle for people’s hearts and minds that will determine who eventually prevails. And, as China’s ancient philosophers predicted, the country that displays more humane authority will win.

Yan Xuetong, the author of “Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power,” is a professor of political science and dean of the Institute of Modern International Relations at Tsinghua University. This essay was translated by Zhaowen Wu and David Liu from the Chinese.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/opinion/how-china-can-defeat-america.html?pagewanted=all

China has already defeated america. America is bankrupt

I came to this conclusion from studying ancient Chinese political theorists like Guanzi, Confucius, Xunzi and Mencius. They were writing in the pre-Qin period, before China was unified as an empire more than 2,000 years ago — a world in which small countries were competing ruthlessly for territorial advantage.

:rofl:
Yan Xuetong, the author of “Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power,” is a professor of political science and dean of the Institute of Modern International Relations at Tsinghua University. This essay was translated by Zhaowen Wu and David Liu from the Chinese

Voila! shanghai bob news gets translated....

indians thought the same thing about the british. this is the wrong kind of mentality, my little indian friend. this is why india have no place in asia. with 1.2 billion white worshiping indians, asia will find it very difficult to free itself of western domination.

chinese think whites are superior... in fact racist tendencies to stero type other races is govt endorsed and accepted. In china , whites Us and europeans are given teaching roles ( educators) over other races as open and allowed practice.

Racism in China (http://www.thechinaexpat.com/racism-in-china/)

Racism Doesn’t Exist in China!

If you ask a person in China whether racism exists, you may well be told that it does not exist, and that they respect people of all countries and colors. But dig a little deeper, ask questions such as ‘what do you think of black people’ or ‘what do you think of Japanese people’, and the answers that come back are often racist.

Racism Against Black People in China

Racism against black people may be the strongest form of racism in China.

Many families in China would be horrified if their son or daughter married a black person. Some would even disown them outright.

It can be difficult getting a job teaching English in China if you are black. This is because of the perception of many people in China that only white people are ‘true Americans’ or ‘true English’ people.

Sadly, it’s often easier to get a job teaching English in China as a white person from a country where English is not a native language than as a black person from a country where English is the only native language.

Many people in China think most black people play basketball and are violent. If you are black, many people from China will perceive you as African. If you are not, you will have to repeatedly explain that you are from another country.

The most common slur against black people in Chinese seems worse than that used for white people – “black ghost” vs. “old ghost”. Many people in China also assume that if you are black, you have very little money.

Racism against blacks in China is also strongly linked to the class divisions and racism that exists within Chinese society. This is not a justification for racism against blacks in China, but for thousands of years Chinese people of lighter skin looked down upon those of darker skin, who often could not afford to be anything other than a peasant farmer.

Racism Against Other Races in China

Though racism in China is strongest against black people, there is a general relationship that determines how foreigners are seen by many people in China: The darker your skin, the more racism you will experience.

No matter where you grew up, if you are not white it will be tougher to get a job teaching English in China.

chinese think whites are superior... in fact racist tendencies to stero type other races in govt mandated and accepted. In china , whites are given teaching roles ( educators) over other races as open and allowed practice.

who else teaches english better than whites? maybe china should hire some english speaking indians? nah, everyone would just laugh at the funny accent. perhaps one day when hindi becomes an international language we will pick some indians off the slums and bring them back to teach.

who else teaches english better than whites? maybe china should hire some english speaking indians? nah, everyone would just laugh at the funny accent. perhaps one day when hindi becomes an international language we will pick some indians off the slums and bring them back to teach.

Classic- I could not have shown any better that you and your ilk are indeed racist. Apparently they did not teach you that a race does not determine who teaches better english.... It's their background as an english major that determines the candidates capability.

psst - your pakistani pals are not white. you should be a bit careful about espousing your racist traits. per your theory they( the whole lot) are inferior too

also there are more english speaking indians and pakistanis than chinese ... you are hardly in a position to ridicule either .

chinese think whites are superior... in fact racist tendencies to stero type other races is govt endorsed and accepted. In china , whites Us and europeans are given teaching roles ( educators) over other races as open and allowed practice.

Racism in China (http://www.thechinaexpat.com/racism-in-china/)

Racism Against Black People in China

This fool is amazingly foolish!

Of course preference of teaching English should be given to those whose first language is English, not those whose English is only a vestige of colonial past.

In fact, India has always whites are superior so much that it copy paste its superdupe white master’s political system and use white master language in Indian parliament.

'India Is Racist, And Happy About It'
A Black American's first-hand experience of footpath India: no one even wants to change

In spite of friendship and love in private spaces, the Delhi public literally stops and stares. It is harrowing to constantly have children and adults tease, taunt, pick, poke and peer at you from the corner of their eyes, denying their own humanity as well as mine. Their aggressive, crude curiosity threatens to dominate unless disarmed by kindness, or met with equal aggression.
Once I stood gazing at the giraffes at the Lucknow Zoo only to turn and see 50-odd families

gawking at me rather than the exhibit.
On a visit to the Lucknow zoo, people gawked more at me than at the exhibits.

Parents abruptly withdrew infants that inquisitively wandered towards me. I felt like an exotic African creature-cum-spectacle, stirring fear and awe. Even my attempts to beguile the public through simple greetings or smiles are often not reciprocated. Instead, the look of wonder swells as if this were all part of the act and we were all playing our parts.

Racism is never a personal experience. Racism in India is systematic and independent of the presence of foreigners of any hue. This climate permits and promotes this lawlessness and disdain for dark skin. Most Indian pop icons have light-damn-near-white skin. Several stars even promote skin-bleaching creams that promise to improve one's popularity and career success. Matrimonial ads boast of fair, v. fair and v. very fair skin alongside foreign visas and advanced university degrees. Moreover, each time I visit one of Delhi's clubhouses, I notice that I am the darkest person not wearing a work uniform. It's unfair and ugly.

Discrimination in Delhi surpasses the denial of courtesy. I have been denied visas, apartments, entrance to discos, attentiveness, kindness and the benefit of doubt. Further, the lack of neighbourliness exceeds what locals describe as normal for a capital already known for its coldness.

My partner is white and I am black, facts of which the Indian public reminds us daily. Bank associates have denied me chai, while falling over to please my white friend. Mall shop attendants have denied me attentiveness, while mobbing my partner. Who knows what else is more quietly denied?

"An African has come," a guard announced over the intercom as I showed up. Whites are afforded the luxury of their own names, but this careful attention to my presence was not new. ATM guards stand and salute my white friend, while one guard actually asked me why I had come to the bank machine as if I might have said that I was taking over his shift.

It is shocking that people wear liberalism as a sign of modernity, yet revert to ultraconservatism when actually faced with difference. Cyberbullies have threatened my life on my YouTube videos that capture local gawking and eve-teasing. I was even fired from an international school for talking about homosociality in Africa on YouTube, and addressing a class about homophobia against kids after a student called me a 'fag'.

Outside of specific anchors of discourse such as Reservations, there is no consensus that discrimination is a redeemable social ill. This is the real issue with discrimination in India: her own citizens suffer and we are only encouraged to ignore situations that make us all feel powerless. Be it the mute-witnesses seeing racial difference for the first time, kids learning racism from their folks, or the blacks and northeasterners who feel victimised by the public, few operate from a position that believes in change.

Living in India was a childhood dream that deepened with my growing understanding of India and America's unique, shared history of non-violent revolution. Yet, in most nations, the path of ending gender, race and class discrimination is unpaved. In India, this path is still rural and rocky as if this nation has not decided the road even worthy. It is a footpath that we are left to tread individually.

www.outlookindia.com | 'India Is Racist, And Happy About It'

Away from the Indian troller and Back to the topic.

The author of the article disappoints me.

I am not against a “humane authority”. Instead, I am for it. I am against the thinking that only “humane authority” will bring goodies to the people.

This scholar claims that Qin ruthless rules caused its short term dynasty. It is true. But it is exactly the same "ruthlessness" and abandonment of Confucius’ “human” theory, Qin was able to unite the whole China to end many hundreds of years in-fighting between states and stopped the bleeding of the people. In a sharp contrast, other 6 big states in competition were more or less fooled by many other prevailing schools of theories at that times.

The problem with Qin is that, once the emperor got the power, it should not have continued its ruthless policy as in warring situation, rather should adopt Confucius theory to fool its people.

This similarity can be seen after CPC just got the power. It should be softer, not again “anti-rightists” or “four cleansing” type of movements.

This scholar disappoints me deeply in second part is that he used mighty Tang Dynasty as an example to hope China should select leaders worldwide. I strongly suspect this “professor of political science and dean of the Institute of Modern International Relations at Tsinghua University” knows any history.

True that Tang Dynasty is one of the most open Dynasties. It attracted merchants all over the world to trade with China. At a time it even wiped out first known Indian invasion with only handful diplomats. However, it is precisely how Tang collapsed that it hired foreigners such as Shi Siming (史思明) and An Lushan (安祿山) An Lushan Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to become its leaders.

Tell me, should a Chinese power be in jeopardy, how could the Chinese rely on foreigners to help? China must learn it from the USA on this aspect that certain people will never pass security clearance and will always denied certain high ranks of officials in government.

“Human authority” can be dashed into nothing if it is not backed up by a might army. Song Dynasty is another typical example. Song had probably 40% of world GDP. People enjoyed great deal of liberty and freedom. Its legal system, education system, bureaucratic system, trading system, science and technological system were all unparalleled at that time. But it had a big military problem. The barbarous Mongols thus wiped off the glorious civilization of human being in just years.

China must not hire non-Chinese citizen as government officials at any level any time, not even in government advisory committees. China can hire scientists, teachers, medical doctors and other specialists. Should these people be employed in government, they must renounce their former citizenship and take Chinese citizenship.

Again, should Yan Xuetong type of “scholar” gain the floor of voice, China is in danger. :bad:

i dont like writing essays i will just say THE SAME WAY THEY DEFEATED AMERICANS IN KOREAN WAR AND CHINESE INDEPENDENCE WAR

This fool is amazingly foolish!

Of course preference of teaching English should be given to those whose first language is English, not those whose English is only a vestige of colonial past.

In fact, India has always whites are superior so much that it copy paste its superdupe white master’s political system and use white master language in Indian parliament.

You still walking around with the white mans flag, scrubbing off a living off the white man's country .... you do know that china town does not mean it is automatically China's town?

Away from the Indian troller and Back to the topic.

The author of the article disappoints me.

I am not against a “humane authority”. Instead, I am for it. I am against the thinking that only “humane authority” will bring goodies to the people.

This scholar claims that Qin ruthless rules caused its short term dynasty. It is true. But it is exactly the same "ruthlessness" and abandonment of Confucius’ “human” theory, Qin was able to unite the whole China to end many hundreds of years in-fighting between states and stopped the bleeding of the people. In a sharp contrast, other 6 big states in competition were more or less fooled by many other prevailing schools of theories at that times.

The problem with Qin is that, once the emperor got the power, it should not have continued its ruthless policy as in warring situation, rather should adopt Confucius theory to fool its people.

This similarity can be seen after CPC just got the power. It should be softer, not again “anti-rightists” or “four cleansing” type of movements.

This scholar disappoints me deeply in second part is that he used mighty Tang Dynasty as an example to hope China should select leaders worldwide. I strongly suspect this “professor of political science and dean of the Institute of Modern International Relations at Tsinghua University” knows any history.

True that Tang Dynasty is one of the most open Dynasties. It attracted merchants all over the world to trade with China. At a time it even wiped out first known Indian invasion with only handful diplomats. However, it is precisely how Tang collapsed that it hired foreigners such as Shi Siming (史思明) and An Lushan (安祿山) An Lushan Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to become its leaders.

Tell me, should a Chinese power be in jeopardy, how could the Chinese rely on foreigners to help? China must learn it from the USA on this aspect that certain people will never pass security clearance and will always denied certain high ranks of officials in government.

“Human authority” can be dashed into nothing if it is not backed up by a might army. Song Dynasty is another typical example. Song had probably 40% of world GDP. People enjoyed great deal of liberty and freedom. Its legal system, education system, bureaucratic system, trading system, science and technological system were all unparalleled at that time. But it had a big military problem. The barbarous Mongols thus wiped off the glorious civilization of human being in just years.

China must not hire non-Chinese citizen as government officials at any level any time, not even in government advisory committees. China can hire scientists, teachers, medical doctors and other specialists. Should these people be employed in government, they must renounce their former citizenship and take Chinese citizenship.Again, should Yan Xuetong type of “scholar” gain the floor of voice, China is in danger. :bad:

and hope they would be the fine example of you as an " american citizen" ? it took you 1000 lines to come up with a justification of yet another race based bias? I'm really in all earnest trying to figure you out. What is with you and your KKK like race superiority theories? in this case being chinese master race superiority?

you know most posters don't read your long winded posts here and hence they don't catch on that you actually advocate to a race superiorty theory....

The irony is , if I start a thread "Can India defeat China , I will be classed as a Troll " lolll

Back
Top Bottom