What's new

HK-417 seems likely replacement for G-3

This rifle is a HK-417. Putting modifications on it like a foregrip and different rail system doesn't make it something else.MKE picked it because of the short-stroke piston that doesn't feed propllent gas into the reciever which in turn increases durability and reliability. It is not a AR-15 and not a M-16. The reason why the AR-15 and M-16 look the same is because the AR-15 is a civilian variant of the M-16. M-16 and HK-417 do not have similar shapes or mechanisms or calibers. You can call it Mehmetcik 2 if you want but to say it isn't a 417 is not true.

I think you are wrong. this rifle's machanism is based on m16.
sure that hk 417 and m 16 have diffirent calibre but have similar shape. I mean this rifle and hk 417 are similar. but it doesnt make same.

I think you are wrong. this rifle's machanism is based on m16.
sure that hk 417 and m 16 have diffirent calibre but have similar shape. I mean this rifle and hk 417 are similar. but it doesnt make same.

M 16 uses direct gas impingement. HK 417 and the Turkisk equivalent uses a piston driven mechanism like in the AK.

It'd be nice to replace the G3, however I am not sure how reliable it is to use a rifle that is using metal injection to save cost if it means the efficiency is lowered.

Besides we want our armed forces to be armed with the best that suits our needs.

MIM will not be used in the construction of these rifles, they will be machined from blocks of Aluminum.

Lower, upper receiver and hand guard will be machined from aluminum blocks which is the main reason why it's going to take a long time to replace the G3s in inventory. The barrel will be cold hammer forged and will have exceptional life time extension over the G3.

2 Years of "development" from MKE and we get slightly different looking HK-417, while i dislike the non-originality of the weapon MKE are improving their quality of manufacture.

I don't see 5.56 as viable in the environments we operate against the PKK in.

Such as these

AAEC001397-1.jpg

Hence G-3s and MG-3s.
I dont see how a regular infantry man with iron sights can hit a target beyond 400 m anyway (5.56 bullet can have effectve range of 500-600 m). On the other hand 5.56 ball is two times lighter than 7.62 => two times more ammo, or additional equipment, bulletproof west etc.

M 16 uses direct gas impingement. HK 417 and the Turkisk equivalent uses a piston driven mechanism like in the AK.
But other mechanisms are same with M16.

I own the HK 416 upper (lower is illegal in US for civilians) and it's way over-rated. I would go with a bullpup.
Whats wrong with HK416? M4 is my favorite and HK416 supposed to be even better.

Back
Top Bottom