idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hitler memorabilia 'attracts young Indians'

BBC News, Mumbai

Books by and about Hitler are in demand in India
Slowly but steadily, a decade-old business around the dead and universally despised dictator Adolf Hitler is emerging as a small-scale industry in India.

Books and memorabilia on the German leader's life have found a steady market in some sections of Indian society where he is idolised and admired, mostly by the young.

The numbers are small but seem to be growing.

It's hard to narrow down what makes the dictator popular, but some young Indians say they are attracted by his "discipline and patriotism".

Most of them are, however, quick to add that they do not approve of his racial prejudices and the Holocaust in which millions of Jews were killed.

But the truth is that books, T-shirts, bags and key-rings with his photo or name on sell in India. And his autobiography, Mein Kampf, sells the most.

'Bestseller'

Jaico, the largest publisher and distributor of Mein Kampf in India, has sold more than a 100,000 copies in the last 10 years.

Crossword, an India-wide chain of book stores, has sold more than 25,000 copies since 2000 and marketing head Sivaram Balakrishnan says: "It's been a consistent bestseller for us."

The dictator is admired by some for his 'discipline and patriotism'
And demand seems to be growing. Jaico's chief editor RH Sharma says: "There has been a steady rise of 10% to 15% in the book's sale."

Until two years ago, a typical Mumbai (Bombay) bookstore sold 40-50 copies of Mein Kampf a year. Now the figure is more like several hundred copies annually.

The more well-heeled the area, the higher the sales. For example, the Crossword outlet in Mumbai's affluent Bandra district sells, on average, three copies a day.

The book has several editions and is available in vernacular Indian languages too. Mannyes Booksellers in the western city of Pune keeps at least four editions. There are at least seven publishers now competing with Jaico.

Global sales figures for Mein Kampf are hard to come by, but the book sells well in other parts of the world too.

In the US, it sold 26,000 copies last year 2009. In 2005 it sold 100,000 copies in Turkey in just a few months. The Arabic imprint is popular in the Palestinian territories.

Mein Kampf is published by Random House in the UK but the company would not give sales figures to the BBC.

'Positive and negative'

Nearly all the booksellers and publishers contacted in India say it is mainly young people who read Mein Kampf.

[Hitler] mesmerised the whole nation with his leadership and iron discipline - India needs his discipline

Student Prayag Thakkar
It's not just the autobiography - books on the Nazi leader, T-shirts, bags, bandanas and key-rings are also in demand.

A shop in Pune, called Teens, says it sells nearly 100 T-shirts a month with Hitler's image on them.

Prayag Thakkar, a 19-year-old student in Gujarat state, is one of them: "I have idolised Hitler ever since I have had a sense of history. I admire his leadership qualities and his discipline."

The Holocaust was bad, he says, but that is not his concern. "He mesmerised the whole nation with his leadership and iron discipline. India needs his discipline."

Dimple Kumari, a research associate in Pune, has not read Mein Kampf but she would wear the Hitler T-shirt out of admiration for him. She calls him "a legend" and tries to put her admiration for him in perspective: "The killing of Jews was not good, but everybody has a positive and negative side."

Young people have no sense of history - [Mein Kampf] is not easy to understand unless you know the history of Germany

Academic Govind Kulkarni
Shilpi Guha says she started reading the book but could not finish it and she wouldn't like to dwell on the dictator's negative side.

In the past, a couple of right-wing Hindu leaders have also expressed their admiration for Hitler.

But young Indians' fascination for him has been explained succinctly by academic Govind Kulkarni: "The youth look for a hero, a patriot, and Hitler was a committed patriot. He is seen as someone who can solve problems. The young people here are faced with a lot of problems."

Mr Kulkarni says he believes the young are gullible and fail to see the sinister side of Hitler.

"Young people have no sense of history. The book is thick and not easy to understand unless you know the history of Germany," he says.

Amit Tripathi, a Mumbai-based scholar, read the book a long time ago but just out of curiosity.

"I didn't find the book inspiring at all. It was interesting to read how he coped with his days of struggle, but his ideology of racial purity smacked of racism."

BBC News - Hitler memorabilia 'attracts young Indians'

someone should post this in israeli forum

Last edited:
Hitler The Trendy Tyrant

By Kim Barker

Chicago Tribune

KHARGHAR, India -- When an Adolf Hitler-themed restaurant opened its doors in a suburb of cosmopolitan Mumbai in August, many were horrified. The restaurant, Hitlers' Cross, changed its name a week later to Cross Cafe, but it is hardly the only example of how some Indians view Hitler and his legacy.

Hindu fundamentalist groups praise Hitler's leadership skills. A college poll a few years ago showed he was perceived as an ideal leader. Books and videos of him are top sellers. Most patrons prefer to call Cross Cafe by its previous name. Plates and cups still bear the Hitlers' Cross logo, with a Nazi swastika in place of the "O."

"We call it `Hitler' only," said Ashish Anant, 18, an aeronautics college student who likes to come to the cafe with friends. "We say, `Let's go to Hitler.' It's a trendy name. It's different."

It's not clear why Hitler is popular in some circles. Some experts say it's because of a belief that Indians were the original Aryan race. Others say it's because Hitler used the traditional Hindu good-luck symbol of the swastika, rotating it slightly. Those who believe strongly in the caste system of India also may like Hitler's eugenics and race beliefs.

Any praise for Hitler is not reflected in national policy. India has strong ties with Israel and views it as an ally in the war on terror. And Jewish and non-Jewish Indians were horrified by Hitlers' Cross. Daniel Zohar Zonshine, the Israel consul general in Mumbai, looked visibly upset when talking about the portrayal of Hitler in India, especially Hitlers' Cross. He said he thinks the owners wanted the free publicity that comes with such controversy.

Educating the public

The consulate has tried to educate Indians about Hitler, sending a Holocaust photograph exhibit and education materials last year to the western state of Gujarat, where government textbooks have praised Hitler. The Israeli Consulate will bring a Holocaust survivor and artist to Mumbai to talk to Indian audiences next month.

"It's not an Israeli issue," said Zonshine, adding that World War II was not ingrained in the DNA of India as it was in that of Europe or Israel. "It's not a Jewish issue. It's a humanitarian issue."

Joshua Reuben, 29, who belongs to India's small Jewish community, said he was offended by the restaurant but did not blame the owners.

"They probably haven't thought about hurting anybody's feelings," he said.

Interviews with many young Indians indicated that they had little idea of what Hitler actually did and that it did not really matter. They described Hitler as "cool" or "trendy." They did not know details of the Holocaust.

"I don't know much," admitted Puneet Sabhlok, 22, one of the co-founders of Hitlers' Cross, which serves only one marginally German item, German chocolate cake.

"He was a dictator," added co-founder Shakir Siddiqui, 27. "Gas chambers and all."

Hitler is glorified in other ways. A poll of 400 students from the country's most prestigious colleges by a leading Indian newspaper in 2002 found that Hitler was their third most requested ideal leader of India, behind independence leader Mahatma Gandhi and the country's then-Prime
Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee.

A pizza and cake chain in New Delhi, A Slice of Italy, sells a cake called "one for the Hitler," featuring Hitler's face. Last year the cake was sold with a swastika on the cap and was described as a children's cake over the phone. Last month there was no swastika.

"It's not common, but it's exciting, madam," a worker at the pizza chain told one woman who asked about the cake in November. "Order it."

`Hitler, the Supremo'

In Gujarat, textbooks have praised Hitler's leadership abilities, fascism and the Nazi movement. Until recently, state social studies textbooks have featured chapters on "Hitler, the Supremo" and "Internal Achievements of Nazism." The textbooks have been changed slightly this year but still barely mention the Holocaust.

This is the same state where Hindu-led riots led to the deaths of more than 1,000 Muslims in the spring of 2002. Several investigations blamed the state government, led by a Hindu-right political party, for permitting the riots.

Bal Thackeray, the founder of Shiv Sena, a Hindu fundamentalist party based in Mumbai, has openly praised Hitler and said he was willing to wipe out troublemaking Muslims. Shiv Sena's secretary, Anil Desai, said Thackeray liked Hitler's leadership abilities, not his attempts to exterminate the Jews.

Thackeray likes "the way Hitler pushed the things in his time," Desai said.

Hitler's autobiography, "Mein Kampf," flies off the shelves of many bookstores. The Bandra branch of Crossword, a major bookstore chain in the Mumbai area, sells 35 copies a week.

At the Rhythm House in downtown Mumbai, one of the city's oldest and most popular video stores, the documentary "Hitler a Career" is sold in the video section for children.

"Why are people buying it? Because they like him," store clerk Maqbool Sayed said. "If it was up to me, I would hide these. I wouldn't put them out at all."

Hitler The Trendy Tyrant By Kim Barker

Its a comment on the youth's dissatisfaction with the modern political leadership and our nation's lack of strong willed idolizable leaders.

First of all one should understand that the history is always writen by the winners & rulers, but not the loosers of the war.

had Hitler won the world war, will he be painted in the same colours as he is today. may be he would have been a grate ruler & leader of Germany.:agree:

people remember the leader not by his apperance or his welth, but the decisions he had taken in his time.

Every body in the world will agree with me that Hitlar took some terible decissions, totaly wrong & unjustifiable. & he had to pay the price by the total distruction of the country also by his life.

but he was indeed a grate visionary.

whom of you will support the war on Iraq. still as the Americans are the winners, Saddam will always be painted as a brutal rular, with the ambition of aquiring WMD.:hitwall:

though the Bush admin. of the US & Hitler of Germany in 1940 are very close to each other & comparable. the world will remamber Hitler as a Fasist, while Americans attack on Iraq will be remembared as an atempt to free the people of Iraq & WAR ON TEROR.:hang2:

I think the victory against the communists at the ballot boxes is going to be short lived for India, as there is clearly a resurgence in support of communists after a dismal performance since the vote. Hitler is definitely being over glorified.

Still i like Hitler

even though he was not promoted in WW I due to his less leadership skill he become the absolute dictator of Germany.

What a big fuss if I or anyone admire Hitler? Admiration always depends what qualities you are admiring..

Few radical Muslims also admire and love him as he killed many Jews.Your post didn't mention the same.

Anyways, I admire Hitler's ambition from being a sepoy to ruler of the country, his road construction work in whole Germany, Taking back to the Germany in high position again after WWI etc etc..

While I hate and condemn his atrocities to Jews and deadly ambition to capture the world.

It is always one's choice what he wants to look +ve side or ve.. choice is yours.

What a big fuss if I or anyone admire Hitler? Admiration always depends what qualities you are admiring..

Few radical Muslims also admire and love him as he killed many Jews.Your post didn't mention the same.

Anyways, I admire Hitler's ambition from being a sepoy to ruler of the country, his road construction work in whole Germany, Taking back to the Germany in high position again after WWI etc etc..

While I hate and condemn his atrocities to Jews and deadly ambition to capture the world.

It is always one's choice what he wants to look +ve side or ve.. choice is yours.

I second the point.

One should see the level of infrastructure been developed in Germany even in the remotest part of the country. I am saying this after travelling through half of the globe and seeing various places. Germany has the BEST infrastructure when it comes to the common mass. All thanks to Hitler who connected everything, even small small villages with rail and road network.

No one is completely good or bad, every one has a good side and bad side. Lets all hail the good side of Hitler. Hail Hitler !!!

for me Hitler is a dictator and amass murderer of communists,Jews and political enemies but respect his Patriotism,development ,economic and Military policy.

Indians admiring Hitler may be due to the lack of strong political leadership in our country.

Hitler's popularity has to do with the under current of right wing sentiments affecting Indian youth. India has a lot of problems, some young people see the resurgence of Hitler's Germany as a solution. Obviously, these people have no conception of History.

I think the victory against the communists at the ballot boxes is going to be short lived for India, as there is clearly a resurgence in support of communists after a dismal performance since the vote. Hitler is definitely being over glorified.

And what does Hitler glorification have to do with Communist resurgence?

One should see the level of infrastructure been developed in Germany even in the remotest part of the country. I am saying this after travelling through half of the globe and seeing various places. Germany has the BEST infrastructure when it comes to the common mass. All thanks to Hitler who connected everything, even small small villages with rail and road network.

And how was this development done? Do you have any idea or are you looking at the end without looking at the means? Fact is, the Jewish population in Germany was the elite and richest, when you massacre them, take over their property, it leaves a lot of money for development.

Will you mind proving your point over here. How support of communist is rising in India?

And pray whats the connect between Hitler and the communists?:blink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom