What's new

History of Pakistan Air Force

great info x_man. it is rumoured by such defence related magazines like Jane's that PAF's A-5s were nuke capable. care to comment!

Sir, PAF A-5s were acquired in 80s and still have the same basic electric system to support its operation that majority of the fighters in the world ( of those times) have…( one battery , two engine driven generators , one inverter to convert DC to AC)….its impossible to support any nuclear weaponry with such a basic eclectic arrangements…Consider the other effects such as aircraft gross weight penalties, aerodynamic effects , engine power and location of weapon on aircraft…..Unless , an aircraft has been purpose built in the factory , its extreamly difficult to carryout any such modifications later on during its operational cycle…

PAF is already planning to phase-out A-5 , any major modification on this aircraft considering its short life is not operationally or technically feasible….To the best of my knowledge, I would say that no PAFs A-5 has been modified to carry any nuclear weapon..

Wow Guys. Your knowledge regarding your fields has set this forum on fire:cheesy::flame:Thank you very much for your input. This will be appreciated so much.
Araz

Wow Guys. Your knowledge regarding your fields has set this forum on fire:cheesy::flame:Thank you very much for your input. This will be appreciated so much.
Araz

Most of the people think that A-5 is a ugly old plane but if you see its performance and what it was made for its doing an fantastic job because it is in service since 1972. Its max speed above 36,000ft is 890mph which is Mach 1.35 at low level 832mph Mach1.09., mission radius with max internal bomb-load and 2 tanks, hi-lo-hi 400 miles (644km). The outstanding features being the amazing slender wing of 8% thickness with leading edge sweep close to 60deg, yet with conventional outward ailerons and large area increasing flaps. Its hard for the plane to go into a dive that easy and if it does the recovery is very easy. and no it does not carry a Nuke.
Neo I just sent you a photo of the first A-5 and the first SQD established in PAF its a collectors item please put your water make and them our members can see it.

Last edited:
Most of the people think that A-5 is a ugly old plane but if you see its performance and what it was made for its doing an fantastic job because it is in service since 1972. Its max speed above 36,000ft is 890mph which is Mach 1.35 at low level 832mph Mach1.09., mission radius with max internal bomb-load and 2 tanks, hi-lo-hi 400 miles (644km). The outstanding features being the amazing slender wing of 8% thickness with leading edge sweep close to 60deg, yet with conventional outward ailerons and large area increasing flaps. Its hard for the plane to go into a dive that easy and if it does the recovery is very easy. and no it doe not carry a Nuke.
Neo I just sent you a photo of the first A-5 and the first SQD established in PAF its a collectors item please put your water make and them our members can see it.

I wish we had some PA and PN guys who were so forthcoming as Sir Muradk and x_man.

I wish we had some PA and PN guys who were so forthcoming as Sir Muradk and x_man.

Sirs Fatman and MuradK
Two questions. Knowing PAF it has always had some input in design modification of chinese Airplanes. Was any work ever done on A5s and if changes were made what were those?
Sir Fatman.
Would you know someone who could fulfill the role of PN/PA expert. I could try my(PA) friend but I think he is abit computer shy.:undecided:My cousin was retired PN but unfortunately passed away very suddenly last year.
Araz

How many mods in A-5? Well, I would say many, don’t know the exact number but they are numerous….However, the single most important, expensive and quite evident mod is the conversion from Chinese Seat to Martin Baker Ejection seat….

From this .....

cc1a0d4f2b6a864bedfc73b783ec24a3.gif

( sorry, I couldn’t find a decent full view pic of this seat)

To this….

be48b4a9fe7f4095b00ed19a5f647c0e.jpg

Other than this few updates that have improved the aircraft-pilot interface and enhanced its operational capability are change of UHF radio, addition of a Garmin GPS , RWR . mods in aircraft sight , new and additional Chaff/ Flares package, changes in circuitry to carry AIM-9P and other US armaments, lots on improvements in ergonomics- few instruments relocated in cockpit, to make it night capable- few additions in cockpit /instruments lighting…..

Besides these, there are hundreds of small mods that are very technical and related to aircrafts structure, airframe, engine and internal systems…

PAFs A-5 are tailored made to suit our requirements and environments , and our A-5s are very different from the Q-5 ( that’s what Chinese call it)….Similar mods were also done on F-6 and F-7….All praises for our tech guys for making this aircraft much safer and operationally enhanced ….:tup:

On the plane ( A-5 ) its self no changes but like the above thread we changed a lot inside the cockpit.Modifing the fusealage and wings is not possible so we just added what ever we could inside it. Because of its bigger nose we got to put all kind of goodies in it.

EGO WHILE IT DEFINES A FIGHTER PILOT, IT MAY ALSO KILL HIM.

THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE REGARGING HIM AND ME ON A BRIGHT SUNNY DAY.
SO HERE IT GOES.
The date was 11th April 1970, the venue NO.14 Squadron at PAF base Dhaka and the mission 1 vs 1 ACM on F-86 saber jets. Now Jamal is writting this article he says that I just got promoted and had 400hr of Saber flying under my belt, I was convinced no sierra Oscar Bravo could ever get the better of me in 1 vs 1 Air combat in my beloved Saber.This mission was my last sortie as I received my posting orders to go back for FIS. My No2
( which was I ) was a friend of mine who just joined the squadron and who also considered himself as the righful successor to the Red barron. This mission to pharse is urdu
( To separate milk from water )and comming out as the second best in the air comabt was not an option for either of us.
The Combat commenced at 25,000 feet from line abreast position that is from position of equal advantage. It rapidly degenerated into a slow speed canopy to canopy scissor manoeuver.I am refereing to a period when Air to Air missile has serious limitations and guns/canons was the most effective means to shoot down the adversary in air combat. To achive a gun kill one had to manoeuver and stay behind the apponent inside 400 yards long enough to expose valid gun cammera cine on him. Pilots of relatively similar skills in similar one verses one combat would invariably end up in slow speed scissors and the eventualy victory would be achived by the one more proficient in slow speed handling. Both of us were equally matched a stalemate was the most likely result.
With both of us locked into slow speed scissors alternating with low G barrel rolls, height loss was inevitable. The hard deck of 10,000ft was busted but despite the brefing that all combat manoeuvering was to cease below it the fight continued with neither managing a decisive advantage. Eventually we were literally at tree top level ans still the duel was raging.
Finally my No2 gave a frantic call to me to watch out for the ground. Only that did I relise that grave danger to which I had exposed myself amd my colleague and how close we had come to becoming a set of statictics in the PAF's list of fatal accidents. I called off the fight, Drained of energy and fuel, we headed back to base for an uneventful landing.
After landing on the tarmac No2 approched me with a malicious grin on his face." what the hell were you trying to prove you maniacal idiot" he scremed :angry:" If I had not warned you both of us would have hit the ground" he added " why did you not remind me earlier" I feebly countred." because you were the bloddy supreme leader and remember you are not the only jackass with an ego bigger than his brains" he replied " and besides I did not want to be the one to chicken out" he concluded I agreed with his sentiments.
This episode brought out some valuable lessons for me and I dare say both of us. First while an ego to match is an absolute pre requisite for a fighter pilot, If not kept under control it would soon lead to his demise. Ego must be tampered with sound judgement, Second being a learder does not automaticlally confer superior wisdom.
This is one lesson I faithfully applied as I moved up in service:pakistan:.

Author Jamal(R).

Like Ego, same is the principle for aggression. A fighter pilot should be aggressive but at the same time, it is stressed that this should be "controlled aggression".

PAF inducted attackers I believe in 1951 but were quickly retired. These perhaps were the first jet aircraft to be inducted in the region. Can any one tell why these were retired so soon.

One reason generally given is that they had maintenance related issues. Is it correct?

Came across this video. Though it is somewhat old thought should share it. It gives background into the history of PAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 April 1988 Sqn. Ldr. Athar Bokhari
No. 14 Squadron kamra , F-16A seriel 725
Athar who just got promoted to AVM shot 1 Soviet Su-25
Col. Ruskoi Alexander Valadimirovich, Soviet Air Force (ejected)
1 PAF F-16 Vs. 4 Soviet Su-25s. Night interception over Parachinar. Took him out with a sidewinder. Remaining 3 Su-25s bugged out.
Col. Ruskoi Alexander Valadimirovich, later Vice-President of Russia was taken prisoner by Pakistani authorities he is really unlucky if anyone of you have been to parachinar the terrain is rocky water flowing pretty fast he was hung upside down for atleat 3 hours from his shoot getting stuck on a side of a mountain. Army Rangers picked him up.

I have the privilege to meet Athar, I guess year before last if I remember correctly, while he was in USA for training through a friend of mine who he was visiting. I found him to be a very nice fellow and we had a good chat about PAF.

A FRIEND GAVE ME THESE TODAY
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE - CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF 14 SQUADRON (TAIL CHOPPERS

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom