What's new

High Speed Strike Missile

A

A.Rahman

HyStrike - High Speed Strike Missile
HyStrike will begin the development of an operational hypersonic weapon that will be fielded in the 2005 to 2012 time frame. The surface-launched system could hit underground targets to a depth of 12 meters after flying at beyond Mach 4. The wingless missile would change direction in flight by using a bending body joint.

A unique aspect of this Navy programs is that the goal is a single hypersonic strike weapon that will be launchable from air, surface and subsurface platforms. This is a first-time collaboration between these three communities to develop a common weapon system for time-critical and deeply buried targets. It is intended to produce increased operations effectiveness as well as life-cycle cost saving.

When fielded, the hypersonic strike weapon is intended to have a major positive impact on battlespace management. The weapon's greatly decreased time to target will give the command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) components more time to search for and identify time-critical threats. Powerful kinetic penetrators will defeat the enemy's tactic of burrowing deeper or building stronger bunkers. And the ability to take out threat weapons before they are launched will increase US and allied survivability, efficiently, cost effectively - and soon.

The hypersonic weapon's immense destructive power results from kinetic energy. An object striking a target at Mach 8 will generate 64 times the force of an object of the same mass striking the target at Mach 1. This phenomenon makes hypersonic weapons well suited to attacking hardened or deeply buried targets such as command bunkers or biological-weapon storage facilities.

Aerothermic heating, caused by the friction of air passing the weapon body, is one area of intensive research. At Mach 4, as the hypersonic weapon passes through the lower atmosphere in the terminal phase of its flight, its surface reaches about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. This level is within the tolerance range of new titanium and inconel materials. At Mach 6, however, the surface temperatures exceed 2800 F and at Mach 8 over 5600 F; skin materials, as well as internal temperature control, become a much larger issue.

The compliance of this long-range system with various bilateral arms control treaties remains an unresolved issue.

Pulse Detonation Engine (PDE)
Research on pulse detonation engines (PDEs) is still in its infancy and it could until 2010 before a sensible configuration is achieved, according to Joe Doychack, PDE development technology project manager at NASA's Glenn Research Center. Four US government agencies, industry and academia have ongoing projects, and parallel studies are underway in countries such as Canada, France, Russia, Japan and Sweden. The aim is to harness the chemical energy content of a detonated mixture of fuel and oxidiser. Various aspects have been demonstrated but a complete propulsion system has not been developed. The Glenn Research Center's project of testing a complete PDE beneath a Boeing F-15 was cancelled. The engine was a PDE made by Pratt & Whitney for the cancelled HyStrike hypersonic missile project.

Specifications
Mission Attack, Destroy, & Hold at Risk Short Dwell and/or Time-Critical Targets at Long Standoff Ranges
Range up to 600 nmi / over 700 nmi
Average speed Mach 3.5 to Mach 7
2600 mph - 5200 mph
Features High weapon survivability
Penetration of 18-36 feet of concrete
Reactive SEAD
Day, night, adverse weather operation
Family of Hypersonic Cruise Missiles
Neckdown to 1 type of Weapon vice 6 currently
Minimize cost of ownership

Operational 2010 IOC
Platforms Navy/Shipboard compatible F/A-18 E/F, JSF, F-22, F-16, F-15E, B52, B-2,B-1, MLRS, Surface ships, & submarines

I wanted to post the pic, but its not allowed

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Oct 23 2005, 11:26 PM
I wanted to post the pic, but its not allowed
[post=1162]Quoted post[/post]​
can u post the adress of that pic?

Originally posted by Owais@Nov 11 2005, 03:36 PM
can u post the adress of that pic?
[post=2703]Quoted post[/post]​

I also would like to see a picture. :)

Also.. unbelievable achievement way to go for U.S. No wonder it is the best air force in the world. :chilli: With the best available funds... :lolani:

<div class='bbimg'>
88385838e5dbe9689d461566c49d6cdf.jpg
</div>

<div class='bbimg'>
b1bf019830dd2b8bf7fd0b1eb696ede2.gif
</div>

WOW 6 missiles have made 1 missile&#33; :clapping:

Originally posted by Hammad@Dec 30 2005, 01:54 PM
WOW 6 missiles have made 1 missile&#33; :clapping:
[post=4923]Quoted post[/post]​

yea... US is still making new weapons and always will. We will always be 50 years behind them

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Jan 17 2006, 03:45 PM
yea... US is still making new weapons and always will. We will always be 50 years behind them
[post=5446]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks to the government for providing no funds for Research & Development, i know they are, but they should provide even more.

Originally posted by WebMaster@Jan 17 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks to the government for providing no funds for Research & Development, i know they are, but they should provide even more.
[post=5448]Quoted post[/post]​

Pakistan could have had missiles 10 years ago. but wahts the situation now ? Is Gov putting money in R&D

Originally posted by WebMaster@Jan 17 2006, 03:53 PM
[post=5448]Quoted post[/post]​

WE could have had missiles 10 years ago if we had no sanctions&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumbsup:

But peace is always good :angel:

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Jan 17 2006, 09:09 PM
Pakistan could have had missiles 10 years ago. but wahts the situation now ? Is Gov putting money in R&D
[post=5452]Quoted post[/post]​

What do you mean Pakistan could have missiles 10 years ago? Do you mean this missile? I dont think so, maybe your talking about the Strategic Ballistic Missiles.

Originally posted by Zeeshan S.@Jan 19 2006, 04:11 AM
What do you mean Pakistan could have missiles 10 years ago? Do you mean this missile? I dont think so, maybe your talking about the Strategic Ballistic Missiles.
[post=5497]Quoted post[/post]​

This is a pretty pointless missile since nothing is able to intercept conventional ICBM&#39;s anyway. The U.S. Star Wars program has hit a brick wall and is only able to hit 50% of Test Missiles under very favourable conditions.

Even if this anti-ICBM system got off the ground, wouldn&#39;t it be infinitely cheaper just to field a bigger ICBM arsenal with Multiple Warheads then pumping money into this useless weapons platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom