What's new

Happy Iranian new century & year

Lahore is historical capital of Punjab and it's not a Hindu city and never was...
Upon reading it's a sikh calendar and we just happen to use it or know about it

Hindus call it vasant. And of course lahoris have to do everything that sikhs do. Nobody in my family in bahawalpur or faislabad celebrate this holiday, but they do know the months in Punjabi since we come from a farming background.

Iranians mark their spring in March, but spring is marked in late February in Punjab. That probably has to do with climate and seasonal differences between the geographic locations.

Not punjabi but lahori/hindu and it’s based off lunar calendar with different date.

The Wednesday before nowruz (which translates to naya roz in Urdu, means new day) is called Charshanbe Suri.

On the night of Charshanbe Suri, iranians get drunk on arag saghi(what we call desi in Pakistan or kutta maar), hop over fires, and bang on their neighbors doors with spoons.
Wow I am impressed that you know about Chaharshanbeh- souri and aragh sagi..lol

Aragh-sagi is Moonshine vodka and translated means "dog's sweat "..lol

We call homemade alcohol in Pakistan kutta maar, or dog death or dog poison. But it’s made with sugar cane or wheat instead of raisins.

Happy new year to all Iranians and all those whom celebrate Nowruz an ancient festival at the beginning of spring which also is exactly synchronized by nature equinox which shows importance of mathematics and astronomy amongst our fathers or an orange in a bowl of water (the earth floating in space) which proof Iranian knowledge of such a thing for a long time.
At the end I wish you all a year an a century full of joy, prosper and happiness like spring.

Happy new year...

Though a message to all Celebrating Iranians. Please consider not getting goldfish for your haft seen tables. At a time of celebration and joy, Shoving these fish into a tiny bowl at best condemns them to a slow and painful death where the ammonia spike slowly burns their body away and they die a horrible death.

Even The ones that are perfectly cared for, will die a nasty death. As goldfish get really big and a single goldfish needs about 50 gallons of aquarium tank to himself to grow..

if a fish is not in a big enough environment for their growth. what happens is their bodies will stop growing, but their organs will continue to grow, untill they get soo deformed that they die a horrible death..

PLease please please dont condemn one of gods creatures to such a horrible fate. Every year we see people trying to make a little money off goldfish keeping them in awful conditions. Dont bring this into your haftseen table..

Rouhani made a speech a couple years ago with fake fish on his table. And he was widely praised. anybody with any basic knowledge of aquarium keeping will tell you how cruel this practise is. please give it some consideration.

Just asked my Gilgiti friend why they celebrate this event and I was surprised that he doesn't even know about its Persian origin yet they celebrate it.
They have adopted it in their own culture.
Then asked a Pushtoon class fellow from FATA,he doesn't know what Nowruz is!

Only people who celebrate Nowruz in Pakistan are Hazaras and people in Northern Areas

Surprise to know Indonesian traditional alcohol drink ( only drunk by Christians) which is Arak has the same name as well.

Aragh sagi comes from Iran ?

I found some new words that similar between Indonesian and Middle East countries:

1. Indonesian say billion as Miliar, same like Turkish ( I know it from PDF posting of Turkish member)
2. Just found that the word Inggris that we use to call England is also used by Oman (Arab), just know it after I watch documentary film about Oman in Al Jazeera International Yesterday
3. And I know you guys call Egypt as Mesir like Indonesian and Greece as Yunani ( same here in Indonesia)

Surprise to know Indonesian traditional alcohol drink ( only drunk by Christians) which is Arak has the same name as well.

Aragh sagi comes from Iran ?

I found some new words that similar between Indonesian and Middle East countries:

1. Indonesian say billion as Miliar, same like Turkish ( I know it from PDF posting of Turkish member)
2. Just found that the word Inggris that we use to call England is also used by Oman (Arab), just know it after I watch documentary film about Oman in Al Jazeera International Yesterday
3. And I know you guys call Egypt as Mesir like Indonesian and Greece as Yunani ( same here in Indonesia)
Yes ..all 4 words in Farsi..Millyard, engelis, Mesr and younon

By the way..I was watching some of the Indonisian projects in your infrastructure thread..very impressive work...I think Indonesian construction companies do a great job by looking at the projects..I hope they get involved with Iran's 4 million housing and township projects because I know they said they need outside help due to the scope of the job..

Iam surprised that they do not....would be nice to know if they ever did and later dropped it due to religion or conquest.

I have been very curious to know as well, considering Pashtuns have Zoroastrian and Buddhist backgrounds along with local religious customs before Islam came to the region. I have asked a lot of people in and around even elders in Pakistan and they don't have any idea.

Concerning Afghanistan some do, but historically Pashtun leadership after Durranis was very averse to Persian stuff. Which is why they waged war on Farsi and why Taliban bans Nowruz. Afghanistan's lingua franca is Farsi so they will have some connection to Persian culture

Concerning Pakistan I think its because majority of the population has South Asian roots and those populations don't really observe or celebrate Nowruz or observe Persian culture, being that we are a minority we just kinda observed behaviors of the majority. Pakistan's national language is Urdu which is more South Asian than Persianate.

Baloch are isolated until very recently.

Hindus call it vasant. And of course lahoris have to do everything that sikhs do. Nobody in my family in bahawalpur or faislabad celebrate this holiday, but they do know the months in Punjabi since we come from a farming background.

Iranians mark their spring in March, but spring is marked in late February in Punjab. That probably has to do with climate and seasonal differences between the geographic locations.
You are just a born hater and are a jealous man
Can't fathom the glory of our city so you hate on it and call us names and say we are wannabe sikhs and Hindus - I'll leave you to it
Keep on hating, while we keep on killing it

Back
Top Bottom