What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this engine we developing for MK2 version of LCA???

As of now Kaveri project has been delinked with LCA project.... However there is a news that at least one of the LCA prototype will be fitted with Kaveri for testing purpose.

Future of Kaveri depends on how it performs in the coming October tests...

Source ? and what is so different IAF LCA and NLCA which justifies an increase of 9-10 mil dollars

These are the approximate costs as of now, which may vary when Mk-2 will be evolved with some changes and new engine.

http://www.indian-military.org/air-...role/733-hal-light-combat-aircraft-tejas.html

Naval LCA is costlier than IAF version due to few factors:-

The airframe of the naval variant of the Tejas will be modified with a nose droop to provide improved view during landing approach, and wing leading edge vortex controllers (LEVCON) to increase lift during approach. The LEVCONs are control surfaces that extend from the wing-root leading edge and thus afford better low-speed handling for the LCA, which would otherwise be slightly hampered due to the increased drag that results from its delta-wing design. As an added benefit, the LEVCONs will also increase controllability at high angles of attack (AoA).

The naval Tejas will also have a strengthened spine, a longer and stronger undercarriage due to higher sink rate ,Strengthened fuselage, Arrestor hook for deck recovery and powered nose wheel steering for deck manoeuvrability.

Last edited:
Tejas Test pilots from NFTC capture modern philosophies of IAF's frontline squadrons; all efforts to give Tejas the best pilot-vehicle interface, says ADA boss P.S.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5sP7XwykNSM/THgAlDvheJI/AAAAAAAACSU/6NnW-0Nusc8/s1600/PSS.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5sP7XwykNSM/THf81_XUEKI/AAAAAAAACSE/fM2npUixaNo/s1600/LCA-LSP-4.jpg

Test pilots from India’s National Flight Test Centre (NFTC), a crucial unit aiding the development of India’s Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), are on a mission to familiarize themselves with the modern philosophies of Indian Air Force (IAF) squadrons. This, they feel, will benefit the LCA project, which is nearing its initial operational clearance (IOC) phase.
Program director for combat aircraft and Aeronautical Development Agency Director P.S. Subramanyam tells AVIATION WEEK that the NFTC team should gain enough expertise from the current mission to give Tejas the best pilot-vehicle interface.
“Our pilots and other experts from NFTC are trying to consolidate from all the available aircraft so as to make Tejas the best flying platform,” Subramanyam says.
“The current familiarization mission will give the test pilots the feel of the latest technologies in some of the frontline aircraft,” an IAF official says. “Tejas will have to eventually fly along with Su-30 MKIs, Mirages and the MiG 29s. The team will update themselves with the latest philosophies and compatibility in a combat environment.”

Tarmak007 -- An Indian Defence Blog With A Difference: Tejas Test pilots from NFTC capture modern philosophies of IAF's frontline squadrons; all efforts to give Tejas the best pilot-vehicle interface, says ADA boss P.S.

kaveri-bb.jpg

LCA nearing IOC ---Cant wait !!!!!

Final Certification Process For Indian LCA Underway | AVIATION WEEK

The final certification process for Tejas, India’s Light Combat Aircraft, has begun ahead of its crucial initial operational clearance (IOC), program official P.S. Subramanyam tells AVIATION WEEK.

The certification process is being conducted by a team headed by K. Tamilmani, chief executive at the Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (Cemilac). It is one of the most significant developments in the last nine and a half years of the program. The first prototype of the Tejas initial technology demonstrator made its first flight on Jan. 4, 2001.

“The certification mainly ensures that the user [the Indian Air Force] will be handed over a safe, mature and reliable aircraft with specified performance,” says Subramanyam, who is program director for combat aircraft and director of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA). “Cemilac has given a clear road map segmenting two major steps—equipment and system certifications. The process was started a month ago.”

More than 300 engineers from ADA, Cemilac, the Defense Research and Development Organization, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., the National Aerospace Laboratories and other program partners are working in tandem to ensure that Tejas enters the much-awaited IOC by December 2010.

“There’s excitement in the air,” Subramanyam says. “We are ensuring that everything goes as per the script—be it the tests on the ground, on the aircraft and while [in the] air. The Tejas certification mission is in full throttle.”

For its part, Cemilac has been updated with all the test schedules. “All operational equipment needs to be certified,” Tamilmani says. “We look at the reliability of all systems . . . especially in the flight-control systems. Tejas has four levels of redundancy stages for its flight-control computer.”

Tamilmani says Tejas has proved itself as a safe platform, and the Cemilac team interacts very closely with the users conducting the airworthiness certification.

“The envelope for IOC is frozen and we are working very closely with the [Indian Air Force] program management team at ADA and with other partners,” Tamilmani adds.

(This is the first in a series of stories by Aviation Week exclusively capturing all the developments of Tejas’ crucial entry into the IOC phase.)

Is this price comparison with mk-2 lca?
Because i think N-lca with not coming with lca mk-1. [ correct me if i m wrong]
now if yes, please explain what making price difference .. 9 -10 million is not a small amount .. is there additional costly instrument needed for naval version than air force version OR airframe is so costly OR both things raising price, please explain.. thanks in advance

if the air force version of the plane try to land on aircraft carrier, it will rip apart due to stress.

from landing gear to arrester hook.. from nose to tail it needs additional strength. in addition to that its engine needs to be specially built for sea salt corrosion prevention.

and fuel dump is again a new system that is not in air force version.

so $10 million per piece is for recovery of investment by HAL + additional materials / process and new instruments.

oops it seems IAF is also on an opinion poll

IAF+LCA+POLL.JPG

Livefist - The Best of Indian Defence: IAF Conducts Poll, Asks If LCA Tejas Will Replace MiG-21 In Time!

Full text

Very interesting, and I thought I was the only one who conducted elegantly unscientific polls! The screengrab above is from a poll that the Indian Air Force appears to have conducted on its official website, with the very timely question: Can the LCA replace the ageing MiG-21 fleet of the Indian Air Force in time? Hmmm, oddly worded question. To be sure, the poll doesn't indicate when it was conducted (or for that matter, whether it was conducted at all!) and for how long it was open. All we have is this mystifying, tantalizing opinion poll results page, with no links to where it actually comes from. But boy is it timely now, with the LCA Tejas aiming to achieve initial operational clearance (IOC) in December this year. The poll appears to have got some pretty decent response too -- 2,50,953 votes, with a little over 66 per cent (~1.6 lakh voters) voting that the LCA would indeed replace the MiG-21 fleet in time, though a chunky 21 per cent didn't think it would.

But what was this poll about? What's the story? I'm going to try and find out tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

LCA-Tejas has completed 1417 Test Flights successfully. (26-Aug-10).

* (TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-163, PV3-225,LSP1-59,LSP2-155,PV5-17, LSP3-14,LSP4-4)

So a noobee question..

How many usable LCA machines are already operational.? What I mean is that once the IOC etc is done and operationalization begins, will the count begin from zero or will some of the prototypes and LSP's will be fitted to be operational jets contributing to the 1st squad..?

There r curently 8 lca frames oprational. and after ioc they r counted into the squarden.

There r curently 8 lca frames oprational. and after ioc they r counted into the squarden.

IMO only LSP's will be counted as operational a/c's ...PV's will be used to further expand the test envelope or will be canibalized.

This is just a guess -- i dont believe there is any published road map.

oops it seems IAF is also on an opinion poll

IAF+LCA+POLL.JPG

Livefist - The Best of Indian Defence: IAF Conducts Poll, Asks If LCA Tejas Will Replace MiG-21 In Time!

Full text

Very interesting, and I thought I was the only one who conducted elegantly unscientific polls! The screengrab above is from a poll that the Indian Air Force appears to have conducted on its official website, with the very timely question: Can the LCA replace the ageing MiG-21 fleet of the Indian Air Force in time? Hmmm, oddly worded question. To be sure, the poll doesn't indicate when it was conducted (or for that matter, whether it was conducted at all!) and for how long it was open. All we have is this mystifying, tantalizing opinion poll results page, with no links to where it actually comes from. But boy is it timely now, with the LCA Tejas aiming to achieve initial operational clearance (IOC) in December this year. The poll appears to have got some pretty decent response too -- 2,50,953 votes, with a little over 66 per cent (~1.6 lakh voters) voting that the LCA would indeed replace the MiG-21 fleet in time, though a chunky 21 per cent didn't think it would.

But what was this poll about? What's the story? I'm going to try and find out tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

sorry i didn't find any poll in air force website..if it really exist please post the link.....

I doubt IAF can do that role with few LCAs. Besides an enemy would require an AC to attack us from through sea route. We have excellent relations with all countries operating a capable carrier. IAF's priority should be north and north-east for now or until they have a credible defensive capability in those area.

Check this:-

China is constructing/helping to construct a new navel base in Sri Lanka.

China going for a good number aircraft career fleet in future.

Back up to Andaman navel base from the main land.

Kochi is the base for Indian indigenous aircraft carrier production, so need air cover.

Digio Garcia is there.(Not a threat as british/American as of now, but we need counter measures always)

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom