4249409.jpg

Sorry, let me recap based on Wiki.

Mark 1 = no inflight refuel and no AESA + BVRAAM
Mark 1A = inflight refuel and AESA + BVRAAM
Mark 2 = ?
Hi @Han Patriot
You're slightly off mark here,
Mark-1(IOC): No inflight refueling/No AESA/No BVR- 20 ordered
Mark-1(FOC): Inflight Refueling/Derby BVR(Derby-ER is also slated to come), However no AESA-40 ordered(I am not sure about the number though)
Mark-1A: Advanced AESA+EW suite+ various other upgrades-83 ordered.
Mark-2: Mark-1A+Uprated engine in 90+kN thrust range(Which basically results in an entirely different plane). Changing of powerplant is the most difficult of all if the power plant happens to be in entirely different category and structural shape and size. It is Mark-1A and Mark-2 that IAF needs in huge numbers.

Hi @Han Patriot
You're slightly off mark here,
Mark-1(IOC): No inflight refueling/No AESA/No BVR- 20 ordered
Mark-1(FOC): Inflight Refueling/Derby BVR(Derby-ER is also slated to come), However no AESA-40 ordered(I am not sure about the number though)
Mark-1A: Advanced AESA+EW suite+ various other upgrades-83 ordered.
Mark-2: Mark-1A+Uprated engine in 90+kN thrust range(Which basically results in an entirely different plane). Changing of powerplant is the most difficult of all if the power plant happens to be in entirely different category and structural shape and size. It is Mark-1A and Mark-2 that IAF needs in huge numbers.
So now they are fulfilling the orders for the Mark-1 IOC?

Beautiful bird. Sad it has no takers.
N-LCA was always meant to be a tech demonstrator ONLY and was never meant to be ordered by anyone, the IN is commited to the N-LCA Mk.2.

Mark 1 = no inflight refuel and no AESA + BVRAAM
All Mk.1s will have BVRAAM (Derby/Mk.3/ER), the FOC MK.1s will have an IFR probe:

19149214_1436116023149508_7873301082277627759_n.jpg

Mark 1A = inflight refuel and AESA + BVRAAM
Yes plus a SPJ pod and improved LRU placement to ease maintainence and boost availability rates across the fleet.

Mark 2 = ?
A larger platform (AFAIK an extra metre in length and something around 10-20% greater wing area) powered by a more powerful engine (F414) with new avionics and general imrovements (retractable IFR probe, aerodynamic improvements, OBOGS etc) allowing for more range, payload and improved capabilities.

Tejas+LCA+Mk2.jpg

B9lNTY3IIAMGc7h.jpg

The Mk.2 project currently has two development teams working in parallel, one for the navy and one for the airforce.
The news above indicates the MK.1 FOC (of which 20, not 40 have been ordered) may in fact have AESA radars (same as MK.1A) afterall.

MK.1 IOC (20 ordered)- deliveries ongoing
Mk.1 FOC (20 ordered)- deliveries commencing 2018
Mk.1A (83 ordered)- deliveries commencing 2019-20
----------------------
(123 units on order right now)

Mk.2 (no confirmation of projected requirements but expected to be >120 units)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom