What's new

HAL LCH| Updates and Discussions

LONGBOW FCR
The LONGBOW FCR has a very low probability of intercept. It rapidly and automatically searches, detects, locates, classifies, and prioritizes multiple moving and stationary targets on land, water and in the air in all weather and battlefield conditions from standoff ranges. Target coordinates are automatically available to other sensors and weapons for target confirmation, rapid engagement, and reduced fratricide. Target data is digitally available through the data modem for real-time transfer to other platforms and command posts. The self-contained Radar Frequency Interferometer provides rapid and accurate identification and azimuth to enemy air defense units. High system reliability and two-level maintenance maximize operational availability and reduce support costs.

LONGBOW HELLFIRE Missile
The LONGBOW system employs fire-and-forget LONGBOW HELLFIRE AGM-114L missiles that can be launched from defilade, increasing battlefield survivability. The LONGBOW HELLFIRE missile locks on targets before or after launch and has been used in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

LONGBOW FCR and LONGBOW HELLFIRE Missile · Lockheed Martin

The Longbow Fire Control Radar and its weapons counterpart, the radar-guided, "fire and forget" Longbow Hellfire missile, enable the potent Apache attack helicopter to detect, classify and prioritize ground targets day or night, in poor weather and obscured conditions; then attack those targets with pinpoint accuracy from ranges that safeguard the lives of the aircrew.

AN/APG-78 Longbow Fire Control Radar

Sancho beat me to it........... Longbow can also fire Air 2 Air missiles. e.g. Stinger, AIM-9 Sidewinder, Mistral and Sidearm.

Let me rephrase my reply, by its design such a sensor is not the optimum solution for A2A engagements. Longbow can, because it has the required algorithms, that too not against MALE or HALE UAVs, so unless we incorporate the Longbow and somehow find a way to use the 4 hardpoints for both ATGMs and A2A missiles and unguided rocket pods, it will be a no go. A millimetric-wave radar by its design has a max range of no more than 10km, something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Sancho beat me to it........... Longbow can also fire Air 2 Air missiles. e.g. Stinger, AIM-9 Sidewinder, Mistral and Sidearm.

Then you must understand, that the prime reason to add the radar is to increase the situational awareness, by being able to search, detect and ID targets at longer ranges. Giving guidance for weapons is if at all only a side effect, but not important, since most weapons on these helicopters doesn't need radar guidance, but often are IR or laser guided. AFAIK the IAF requirement for the Apache included 22 helicopters, but only half as many Longbow radars. I still would prefer DRDO developing a mast mounted radar, maybe with Elta, for a fraction of the costs of the Apaches, and adding them to the LCH instead, not only to make LCH more capable, but to save a lot of money.

Then you must understand, that the prime reason to add the radar is to increase the situational awareness, by being able to search, detect and ID targets at longer ranges. Giving guidance for weapons is if at all only a side effect, but not important, since most weapons on these helicopters doesn't need radar guidance, but often are IR or laser guided. AFAIK the IAF requirement for the Apache included 22 helicopters, but only half as many Longbow radars. I still would prefer DRDO developing a mast mounted radar, maybe with Elta, for a fraction of the costs of the Apaches, and adding them to the LCH instead, not only to make LCH more capable, but to save a lot of money.
The main point of the mast mounted radar is for the Apache to provide target acquisition to its hellifres from defilade. After that the hellfires, being fire and forget missiles, do their job. This has allowed the Apache to sneak up on their opponents quite a few times, albeit it depends upon the terrain. Also terrain profiling and air overwatch are both important functions of the radar, but, a Ka band radar really isn't meant for A2A work.

Let me rephrase my reply, by its design such a sensor is not the optimum solution for A2A engagements. Longbow can, because it has the required algorithms, that too not against MALE or HALE UAVs, so unless we incorporate the Longbow and somehow find a way to use the 4 hardpoints for both ATGMs and A2A missiles and unguided rocket pods, it will be a no go. A millimetric-wave radar by its design has a max range of no more than 10km, something to keep in mind.

Of course its not optimal for A2A engagement. But it can be used for A2A which was my point. Its a capability that is much required in the changing battlefield scenario and operational flexibility.

That's a bit like saying our Eyes are used only for increasing our situational awareness, by being able to search, detect and ID targets at longer ranges.

Our Eyes are also used for Learning, seeking a prey, tracking, observing, attacking, defending and avoiding obstacles.

A Radar will do all of this with varying degrees of success.

Indian Light Combat Copter Goes Through Cold Tests

Cold weather trials of India's Light Combat Helicopter were carried out at Air Force Station, Leh early last month. “The trials covered engine starts with internal batteries after overnight cold soak at 3 km altitude and 4.1 km altitude”, HAL chairman T. Suvarna Raju has said in a statement. The engine starts were satisfactory in the temperature of minus 18 degree C at 4.1 km, the flights were also carried out to assess high altitude performance and low speed handling, the statement said.

The LCH prototype, TD2 was ferried from Bangalore to Leh and the flight trials were carried out involving customer pilots from Air Force and Army and with the participation of representatives from RCMA (H/c) and DGAQA (H/c).

“Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) Technology Demonstrator TD-3 made its maiden flight in November last year and the TD-4 is likely to fly soon. The IOC is expected in the later part of this year and to achieve this we are concentrating on building more prototypes and increase the number of flights to reduce the lead-time for IOC”, Raju said.

Last edited:
Monday, March 02, 2015

Indian Light Combat Copter Goes Through Cold Tests

Cold weather trials of India's Light Combat Helicopter were carried out at Air Force Station, Leh early last month.

“The trials covered engine starts with internal batteries after overnight cold soak at 3 km altitude and 4.1 km altitude”,

HAL chairman T. Suvarna Raju has said in a statement. The engine starts were satisfactory in the temperature of minus 18 degree C at 4.1 km, the flights were also carried out to assess high altitude performance and low speed handling, the statement said.

The LCH prototype, TD2 was ferried from Bangalore to Leh and the flight trials were carried out involving customer pilots from Air Force and Army and with the participation of representatives from RCMA (H/c) and DGAQA (H/c).

“Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) Technology Demonstrator TD-3 made its maiden flight in November last year and the TD-4 is likely to fly soon. The IOC is expected in the later part of this year and to achieve this we are concentrating on building more prototypes and increase the number of flights to reduce the lead-time for IOC”, Raju said.

LIVEFIST: Indian Light Combat Copter Goes Through Cold Tests

Damn this Digital cameo makes the LCH disappear into the background. :tup:

DSC_8594.JPG

That was what I was thinking. But when @MokshaVimukthi said that it needs radar. I could not figure out why it was needed unless it was trying to track and pursue other aircraft.
Its not actually for air defense.. In case of foggy, sandy, rainy, or at night with limited thermal camera and enemy can also use things to block your view.. (you name it) weather, you camera cant see the enemy and basically cant track and shoot it.
But, with millimetr wave radar, you helicopter is capable to destroy any opposite object..
I will copy paste a link, which is in Turkish(Turkey working on the radar for its T129 helicopter) but it explains in the video the advantage of it..
I believe USA doesnt sell this radar to other helicopters, and which make other nationalities to pay for Longbow.. you have to develop it yourself..
Also, its used in UAV technology to control the UAV and its landing...

Back
Top Bottom