What's new

Gurkhas in the Indian Army - images and information

Very cool pictures. Everyone has heard of the Gurkhas here in America. Bad A** guys!

Karthic Sri, who are the guys in your pics? Such colourful regiments. My country's army looks pretty plain by comparison.

These same gurkas form the ULFA (United Liberation Front of Assam) that is giving nazi-hindus nightmares at night. :)

First try to understand the difference between a Assame and a Gurkha..i know its hard for you to differnetiate with the birds brain of yours

Second before calling Hindus Nazis you should know that India is place where all kind of religion co-exist including my religion Christianity and we are not banned from going to church by any body..but i know some country which banned praying in mosques..do you think its the real nazism and facism??

Third before medling in to other countries affairs just look at what your coutry is going through..I am sure that you have a identity crisis around here still look at your countrys history before calling any other religion or a country nazi you will understand..

Very cool pictures. Everyone has heard of the Gurkhas here in America. Bad A** guys!

Karthic Sri, who are the guys in your pics? Such colourful regiments. My country's army looks pretty plain by comparison.
I have doubt to ask u... Why is that your country is not interested in these cermonial dresses and those parades?

These pics are of the marching contingents of various Infantry Regiments of the IA in their ceremonial gear.

The style of headgear reflects/ replicates what the locals wear in the regions these soldiers are recruited from. The colours on the headgear / uniform / sash etc are their regimental colours.

Most of these regiments are over 150 - 200 years old or more.

I have doubt to ask u... Why is that your country is not interested in these cermonial dresses and those parades?
I know this may come as a shock to non-Americans reading this, but the reason is that my country has only had a history of large standing armies since the Second World War. Before that we mostly had just a small standing army that would be filled out by "volunteer" regiments from each state in time of crisis.

Americans are leery of military pomp and exclusiveness in their armed forces. They prefer their army to be a "citizen-soldier" force that does not start to feel like it has it's own agenda or traditions that are alien to the democratic society which it is tasked to defend. Even today, huge numbers of our troops in places like Iraq and Afghanistan are National Guard, meaning they are just part time soldiers from each state who are teachers, truck drivers, sales clerks, etc., in their civilian life.

Because of this history, Americans just don't go in for much flash and ceremony in their fighting men and women.

Last edited:
These same gurkas form the ULFA (United Liberation Front of Assam) that is giving indian nightmares at night. :)

MOD EDIT: careful when using words for people

We know that many things are beyond your brain to recognise correctly between a Gurkha and a Assamese but here you came to lowest point of abuse. Even you don't have the knowledge to abuse people!!! :rolleyes:

Read this.......

"One detachment served with Lawrence of Arabia, while during the Battle of Loos (June-December 1915) a battalion of the 8th Gurkhas fought to the last man, hurling themselves time after time against the weight of the German defences, and in the words of the Indian Corps commander, Lieutenant-General Sir James Willcocks, "... found its Valhalla". During the ultimately unsuccessful Gallipoli campaign in 1915, the Gurkhas were among the first to arrive and the last to leave. The 1st/6th Gurkhas, having landed at Cape Helles, led the assault during the first major operation to take out a Turkish high point, and in doing so captured a feature that later became known as "Gurkha Bluff". At Sari Bair they were the only troops in the whole campaign to reach and hold the crest line and look down on the Straits, which was the ultimate objective. The 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Gurkha Rifles (2nd/3rd Gurkha Rifles) was involved in the conquest of Baghdad.

2nd/5th Royal Gurkha Rifles, North-West Frontier 1923

Following the end of the war, the Gurkhas were returned to India and during the interwar years, they were largely kept away from the internal strife and urban conflicts of the sub-continent, instead being employed largely on the frontiers and in the hills where fiercely independent tribesmen were a constant source of troubles. As such, between the World Wars, the Gurkha regiments fought in the Third Afghan War in 1919 and then participated in numerous campaigns on the North-West Frontier, mainly in Waziristan, where they were employed as garrison troops defending the frontier, keeping the peace amongst the local populace and keeping the lawless and often openly hostile Pathan tribesmen in check. During this time the North-West Frontier was the scene of considerable political and civil unrest and the troops stationed at Razmak, Bannu and Wanna saw an extensive amount of action."

There are also some famous quotes from British officers how Gurkhas fought in Afghanistan North West Frontier India.

surprised..............no one talked about them

Battle of Saragarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My salute to the bravest of the brave!!! What an example!

R.I.P.

Posting the battle part.....

The battle

Details of the Battle of Saragarhi are considered fairly accurate, due to Gurmukh Singh signalling events to Fort Lockhart as they occurred.

* Around 9.00am, around 10,000 Afghans reach the signaling post at Saragarhi.
* Sardar Gurmukh Singh signals to Col. Haughton, situated in Fort Lockhart, that they are under attack.
* Colonel Haughton states he cannot send immediate help to Saragarhi.
* The soldiers decide to fight to the last to prevent the enemy reaching the forts.
* Bhagwan Singh becomes the first injured and Lal Singh was seriously wounded.
* Soldiers Lal Singh and Jiwa Singh reportedly carry the dead body of Bhagwan Singh back to the inner layer of the post.
* The enemy break a portion of the wall of the picket.
* Colonel Haughton signals that he has estimated between 10,000 and 14,000 Pashtuns attacking Saragarhi.
* The leaders of the Afghan forces reportedly make promises to the soldiers to entice them to surrender.
* Reportedly two determined attempts are made to rush the open gate, but are unsuccessful.
* Later, Fort Lockhart is breached.
* Thereafter, some of the fiercest hand-to-hand fighting occurs.
* In an act of outstanding bravery, Ishar Singh orders his men to fall back into the inner layer, whilst he remains to fight. However, this is breached and all but one of the defending soldiers are killed, along with many of the Pashtuns.
* Gurmukh Singh, who communicated the battle with Col. Haughton, was the last Sikh defender. He is stated to have killed 20 Afghans, the Pashtuns having to set fire to the post to kill him. As he was dying he was said to have yelled repeatedly the regimental battle-cry "Jo Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal (He who cries God is Truth, is ever victorious).

Having destroyed Saragarhi, the Afghans turned their attention to Fort Gulistan, but they had been delayed too long, and reinforcements arrived there in the night of 13-14 September, before the fort could be conquered. The Afghani pashtuns later stated that they had lost about 180 killed and many more wounded during the engagement against the 21 Sikh soldiers, but some 600 bodies are said to have been seen around the ruined post when the relief party arrived (however, the fort had been retaken, on 14 September, by the use of intensive artillery fire, which may have caused many casualties). The total casualties in the entire campaign, including the Battle of Saragarhi, numbered at around 4,800.

These same gurkas form the ULFA (United Liberation Front of Assam) that is giving indian nightmares at night. :)

MOD EDIT: careful when using words for people

nightmares at night??:rofl:boothnikey :rofl:wah this goes into my vocab..

rest of ur post was Bull Cr@p so i dont mind it...

Back
Top Bottom